• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX-Audio FX152E vs SMSL SA-36A Pro, which is the better budget amp?

lemon07r

So at a little under 50 CAD I have the two options of the FX-Audio FX152E TPA3118+TA7630P (I really don't care about the tone control tbh, I never use it), and the SMSL SA-36A Pro Class D 20Wx2 TDA7492PE. So I guess it comes down to SMSL's 20*2w implentation of the TDA7492PE vs FX Audio's 30*2w implementation of the TPA3118? Not even sure which chip is better, there was no THD or similar spec for me to compare either. Googling has not found me any comparisons or any helpful information yet.. need someone smart to point me in the right direction.

I will be powering two Monitor Audio Radius 45 micro-satellite speakers with the AMP, and do not need the amp to be loud our powerful since these speakers will be sitting right next to me on my desktop. I'm coming from a lil lepai 2020A+ amp, which I liked quite a bit more than my grabage nobsound min 50*2w amp that I got after my lepai broke.

Crandall

I can't say which is better, but I have the SMSL SA 36A Pro, with the TDA7492PE chip in it. It powers 2 Micca MB42x speakers which are less sensitive than yours (4-8Ohm and only 85db/W) and they still get plenty loud enough. This is even with my EQ preamped overall to -7db with some notches and a shelf to bring up the bass. From what I've heard about the lepai, you'll get a little more clean volume out of the SMSL, but it doesn't blow it out of the water. Unfortunately, I have never seen a set of measurements of the SA 36A Pro.

OP
L

lemon07r

I can't say which is better, but I have the SMSL SA 36A Pro, with the TDA7492PE chip in it. It powers 2 Micca MB42x speakers which are less sensitive than yours (4-8Ohm and only 85db/W) and they still get plenty loud enough. This is even with my EQ preamped overall to -7db with some notches and a shelf to bring up the bass. From what I've heard about the lepai, you'll get a little more clean volume out of the SMSL, but it doesn't blow it out of the water. Unfortunately, I have never seen a set of measurements of the SA 36A Pro.

I ended up canceling my SMSL amp order because I found a big ol' Harmon Kardon AVR354 Reciever sitting around unused in the basement and figured that would work miles better than any little class D amp. Ended up putting that money towards a nice little topping D10 DAC.

Crandall

Sounds like you made the right choice. Advertises 75W per channel max so I'm sure you have more power than you'd ever need with those speakers.

Top Bottom