• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX Audio dac-x6 or Topping MX3?

Hunts887

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation between the 2, or another suggestion in that price range.

I have seen the reviews on here for both but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the 2, or if there is a better suggestion.

I have seen the DX3 Pro but I think that's a bit out of my price change at the moment, considering other outgoings I have at the moment.

Cheers.

Topping MX3 is a great bit of kit & amazing value. The sound is better than you would think from the tests on here & to be honest does many things really well indeed.

All the little touches that you don't consider pre-purchase are done to perfection - like auto switching to headphones when you plug them in, maintaining 2 separate volume settings for headphones / speakers etc. And all those features, plus great build quality & a remote, for £100? Amazing value.

If you aren't bothered about the speaker outs & will be just using for headphones, I think that is the strongest section of the MX3 & the performance is pretty flipping good. I have the DX3 pro also, and there is little difference between the 2 that I can hear (but I am old, and maybe your headphones are more revealing than mine etc etc).

My only caveat is the low power output - if using on a desk with small & reasonably sensitive speakers then it is spot on. I think it would struggle to fill a large room, and if you push the volume over about 75% it can start to get a little toppy (emphasis on treble). This is worse if you have speakers that are a touch bright to start with.

On a desk or small room with easy to drive speakers it will go plenty loud without ever showing these issues & sound great.

Matt

Last edited:
Top Bottom