• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX Audio DAC-M1 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

pma

Major Contributor
index.php

That power supply noise definitely knocks the performance down at lower output levels but then the ship right itself above 1 milliwatt and goes past my requirement of 100 milliwatts with this load. No clipping is observed which means you can crank it up as much as you like.

The 25dB jump between 300 and 400uW is suspicious and might be audible. Very strange nonlinear behavior.

dorirod

Thank you @amirm ! Pretty cool little dac/amp. Might be a good option to have on the nightstand, supports LDAC too so don't have to tie up the phone on those endless scroll sessions :)

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm what do you think makes a SE device more or less likely to create ground loops?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm what do you think makes a SE device more or less likely to create ground loops?
I think one issue is the type of power supply they use. Switching ones have a "Y" capacitor that leaks mains into the DC output. Other than that, the answer is quite complex and has to do with the design of the circuit, the layout of the PC Board, and some amount of bad luck. :)

arthurz

@amirm
One of the charts (below the text "In case you are interested in its performance at lower levels and at max, here it is:") mistakenly labels the data series as "Emotiva RMC-1". The SINAD values in question make it obvious the data is not for the Emotiva :).

kencreten

Forum Donor
This might be my first post here... let's see how it goes. Let me know if it's not working in some way. I'm constantly amazed by present gear that's not only low cost, but very high quality. I bought one of the Topping analog amp/headphone, preamps, based on measurements here, quite a while ago, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I think it was $150 or so. It's a bit of a waste because it's so quiet. The rest of my more expensive gear is more noisy.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
One of the charts (below the text "In case you are interested in its performance at lower levels and at max, here it is:") mistakenly labels the data series as "Emotiva RMC-1". The SINAD values in question make it obvious the data is not for the Emotiva :).
Yeh that is just a labeling issue in AP. Data is correct.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Weren't you supposed to be returning Stealth to DCA @amirm ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Weren't you supposed to be returning Stealth to DCA @amirm ;)
I was but just couldn't. So worked with the company to exchange it for some of the gear I had. Traded my ADI-2 Pro and another DAC+Headphone Amp. We were both happy. :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
If they can hit this SINAD level including a small headphone amp inside... I'd like to see what their DAC only units measure like.

This measures so well as a DAC, one could buy it for that purpose only and ignore the small amp feature too, considering it beats many other DAC's that are much more expensive in ranking.

My only concern would be FX Audio products seems to be copied or replicated when looking at AliExpress for example and possible build quality issues, but for the money it's a pretty good little device.

JSmith

mslim

1. Output impedance?

2. FX-Audio targets the price sensitive market by the looks of it. They lack polish in the product design department. This is their most expensive product. The fact that they sent this to Amir is perhaps a sign that they're finally taking measurements seriously. Perhaps like the Schitt of China. LOL but nevertheless welcoming. I think they've never published any measurements and their marketing claims are based on the chipset manufacturers claims.

3. Interesting that Wolf hasn't measured any of their products so far...

forlau

Thanks a lot for the review! I was already about to buy this device without knowing, if it would pass the ASR check. One thing, which is also important to me: how did it sound?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. I listen to more audio devices in a week...
Yeah! Me too but I am 'stuck' listening to the "same old audio hardware" 24/7 in the house. I am sooooo jealous! @amirm gets people to send all their brand-spanking new hardware to test. I'd luv to have him temporarily re-route them to me for a few weeks before the hardware goes back to the original owner.
Does anyone remember those variety of audio "cans" (literal 'cans' not headphones) that some company use to sell about 15-20yrs ago? They had a similar form-factor to these cans made by FX-Audio.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a couple of cheap FX audio amplifiers. Quite decent for the price in terms of performance.
Worst screen ever though.
IMG_20210919_142041.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks a lot for the review! I was already about to buy this device without knowing, if it would pass the ASR check. One thing, which is also important to me: how did it sound?
It is in the review after measurements.

forlau

It is in the review after measurements.
I just can find power levels and distortion. I was hoping for something like you did for the Topping EX5 "Detail, bass performance, absence of distortion -- there were all there. If the sound sucks, it is your content."

laudio

I missed this review. My kind of device. That DX-01 too....

Top Bottom