• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX-Audio D2160 Integrated Amplifier with Bluetooth – Review

maty

Major Contributor
In audio laboratory you need a good amp with very good specs if you want to measure speakers, ensuring that the amplifier is not a disturbing element in the measurements. Like Benchmark AHB2.

With a resistive output only change the magnitude in the speaker, microphone.. measures, not the curves.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there is quite a difference between wanting something and needing something. I'm as guilty as many in that I'd like some of the very nice high performance amps on the market, although in all honesty not the serious high end as I admire the quality and build of the higher end Japanese gear much more. However, I don't need it and most half decent (and even not so half decent by measurement) amps are pretty much audibly transparent.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this thing really 2ohm capable? I hear people say these class D chip amps are much better at driving extreme low impedance loads. I would think the power supplies would be the limiting factor in doing so. But I'm a bit excited for what this means for speaker designs going forward if low impedance amplifiers became the norm.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... But I'm a bit excited for what this means for ...

Try this ... I am sure you will be more than excited for what this means for ... your ears ... :):):)

1544048197666.png

1544048232817.png

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't been impressed by the few Mac products I've heard. They sound good, but not another car good.

Regardless, I'm saying when 2ohm stable amplification becomes the norm, and even the entry level products can do it (kind of like where DACs are at this point). Speaker design will change to reflect this as it opens up a lot more combinations of drivers and crossover matching that wouldn't have been possible before.

jsts

The PCM1804 are used only on analog inputs, and for analog to digital convertion, If that help this is the schema of the SU-G700View attachment 17482

The all-new Network / Super Audio CD Player Technics SL-G700 is designed to use with Technics SU-G700 amplifier.

sl-g700-gi01.jpg

https://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/network-super-audio-cd-player-sl-g700.html

This player use "top-of-the-line" DAC AK4497 (up to 32-bit / 384-kHz).

And SU-G700 amplifier, according to the scheme, use:

1) AK4113 (24-bit / 216-kHz stereo digital audio receiver) for digital inputs;
2) PCM1804 (24-bit / 192-kHz stereo A/D converter) for analog inputs.

Thus, when the signal is fed from the SL-G700 to the SU-G700 through the analog terminals, the AK4497 32-bit / 384-kHz sound is lost.

When the signal is fed from the SL-G700 to the SU-G700 via the digital terminals, you can only submit quality no higher than 24-bit / 192-kHz (User Manual, page 16).

700.png

Question: I do not understand something or is it all so?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Thus, when the signal is fed from the SL-G700 to the SU-G700 through the analog terminals, the AK4497 32-bit / 384-kHz sound is lost.

When the signal is fed from the SL-G700 to the SU-G700 via the digital terminals, you can only submit quality no higher than 24-bit / 192-kHz (User Manual, page 16).

Question: I do not understand something or is it all so?
Page 17 shows use of USB to connect to devices with USB-DAC output such as the ST-G30. The SL-G700 has the necessary USB socket, but it's not clear whether you can connect a DAC to it, or just a USB drive with audio files. I couldn't see a download link for the SL-G700 manual.

jsts

Yes, I can use the Music Server ST-G30 (if I can find $4,999 to buy it), but it is still not clear which DAC in the SU-G700 is in this case used for digital-to-analog conversion. And is the quality reduced (to 24/192) before transmitting the signal to the speakers?

In any case, it turns out that any music will ultimately be processed and "painted" by the DAC of the amplifier.

In this regard, the purchase of the SL-G700 player would make sense if the "coloring" of the sound by the AK4497 chip filters, were maintained. And since this sound is lost, when buying a SU-G700 amplifier, you need to remember that it will “kill” the original sound of any of your PreAMP/CD/Network player.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Talisker

Hello,
I talk with Technics when they launched the ST-G30, this product is a no-sens with the SU-G700. The amplifier is a pure digital amplifier, it can't amplify analog sources (it use an ADC to do it). If you buy the couple ST-G30 and the SU-G700 you have every things in double !!! If you have an SU-G700 (like me) you the just need a simple network player (without any DAC or analog output) with an digital output or if you are fan of higher rate use a computer as source with USB. If you have the ST-G30 buy an Benchmark amplifier and use the analog ouput.
Don't pay twice !! do not convert twice ...

jsts

And yes, I'm not saying that the SU-G700 is bad. Just need to understand its features. Tomorrow I'm going to buy this amplifier :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Anyone did or found measurements of this device yet?
Anyone uses it?

I had the opportunity to ear a DIY 4 way system with 4xD2160. It sounded awesome.

Top Bottom