• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX-Audio D2160 Integrated Amplifier with Bluetooth – Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's a few pics of the guts. It almost looks pretty from a distance :)

square.jpg

angle.jpg

As you can see, the 'heatsinks' are just for show- it is just an off-the-shelf case. Clearly they have mounted the TAS-5614As to the base panel, under the PCB, hopefully with a dab of thermal transfer compound (something the Chinese aren't exactly good at). All in all, not exactly a brilliant way to get rid of heat.

I am at a loss to see how this (highlighted) among other parameters can translate to anything other than poor to mediocre performance.

5614.JPG

By A-Wtd, they are using an AES17 filter (20KHz). That amount of noise is an utter joke, but when in the same box as a bluetooth solutions board, USB and all run by a cheap SMPS supply it won't matter I guess.

The one 65-90W 'power brick' isn't remotely enough to deliver even half the rated power this chip can supposedly deliver. So plan on buying the second one. There isn't a single specification on that little chip that wasn't bettered 40 years ago.

I mean seriously, what happened to advancing the high fidelity state of the art? Who gets excited by this crap - it's just a toy.

fritn21

I mean seriously, what happened to advancing the high fidelity state of the art? Who gets excited by this crap - it's just a toy.
I wish i had found this thread earlier. I have been curious about these 'direct digital' or 'pure digital' implementations since I've been waiting for this obvious step for so long.

Are there any high-fi chip-based class-d with i2s or similar pure/direct-digital input that would be fitting for 300w/ch floorstanding speakers? I'd enjoy best a biamp setup with dsp-based crossover (and delay and phase). Bluetooth i dunno why it would affect the amplified signal - without the low-volt DAC-ADC stage in typical amplifiers.

I'm currently running an Adcom mosfet amp. Pretty happy with her, but I am curious.

Thanks, cheers!

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
I wish i had found this thread earlier. I have been curious about these 'direct digital' or 'pure digital' implementations since I've been waiting for this obvious step for so long.

Are there any high-fi chip-based class-d with i2s or similar pure/direct-digital input that would be fitting for 300w/ch floorstanding speakers? I'd enjoy best a biamp setup with dsp-based crossover (and delay and phase). Bluetooth i dunno why it would affect the amplified signal - without the low-volt DAC-ADC stage in typical amplifiers.

I'm currently running an Adcom mosfet amp. Pretty happy with her, but I am curious.

Thanks, cheers!

Class D chip based amps (sometimes referred to as "pure digital", although that's a mislabeling of the technology as they're actually controlled by Pulse Width Modulation) have been used in professional active studio monitors for quite some time now. So I don't know what that little critic, who's on my ignore list, was on about.

There numerous Class D amps available now from a host of manufacturers, and at very reasonable prices I might add. While I don't know of one specifically that will do >= 300 watts, that amount of power is usually reserved for pro audio installations, I'm sure a quick Goggle will present one for you.

Kind regards,
Bill

P. S. I took the liberty of actually doing a quick search and this is what I found - yeah, it's pro audio... :cool:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX3--yamaha-px3-power-amplifier

P. P. S. It's also worthwhile looking at Hypex and ICEpower chipset based amps (both Class D) as well.

Last edited:

fritn21

Class D chip based amps (sometimes referred to as "pure digital", although that's a mislabeling of the technology as they're actually controlled by Pulse Width Modulation) have been used in professional active studio monitors for quite some time now. So I don't know what that little critic, who's on my ignore list, was on about.

There numerous Class D amps available now from a host of manufacturers, and at very reasonable prices I might add. While I don't know of one specifically that will do >= 300 watts, that amount of power is usually reserved for pro audio installations, I'm sure a quick Goggle will present one for you.

Kind regards,
Bill

P. S. I took the liberty of actually doing a quick search and this is what I found - yeah, it's pro audio... :cool:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX3--yamaha-px3-power-amplifier

P. P. S. It's also worthwhile looking at Hypex and ICEpower chipset based amps (both Class D) as well.
I'm referring to a specific subset of class-d amplifiers that do not require A/D converters. But thanks for your reply.

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm referring to a specific subset of class-d amplifiers that do not require A/D converters. But thanks for your reply.

One would be hard-pressed to find any Class D, or any other class for that matter, amp without an analog input these days, thus necessitating the need for ADC to be included. However, if one simply doesn't need analog input, then don't use it, and the ADC won't be engaged.

Last edited:

fritn21

One would be hard-pressed to find any Class D, or any other class for that matter, amp without an analog input these days, thus necessitating the need for ADC to be included. However, if one simply doesn't need analog input, then don't use it, and the ADC won't be engaged.

Are you sure? Do you know (without Googling) what i2s is?

fritn21

I was trying to find-out if you know the difference between a direct digital (or pure digital) capable Class-D amp and one which is not.

The reason i did this is because in your your initial reply you recommended class-d amps not capable of pure digital operation. ...In a response to my question about pure digital amplifiers. ...In a thread about a pure digital amplifier.

Your evasive and abusive answer was not constructive.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks, cheers!

Interestingly, I'm not aware of any higher power "direct digital" class D amps either. The only model I know of that would meet your needs would be the ready-built (and expensive) NAD M2.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if you’re interested in Hypex based amps. I am still researching, but I found these that are less than the NAD or ATI based Hypex. No idea if these sound decent, but you get a lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.hattor.com/

https://internetofmusic.nl/

https://www.apollonaudio.com/

Hypex makes great amps, but they convert an analogue input signal to PWM in the way that classic class D amps do.

I believe @fritn21 is interested in "direct digital" class D amps that take a PCM input and convert it to PWM in the digital domain, i.e. so that the signal remains digital right through until it leaves the amplifier.

Many Hypex modules are also available quite cheap as DIY boards through their online store btw.

fritn21

Not sure if you’re interested in Hypex based amps. I am still researching, but I found these that are less than the NAD or ATI based Hypex. No idea if these sound decent, but you get a lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.hattor.com/

https://internetofmusic.nl/

https://www.apollonaudio.com/

Wow! Beautiful amps. I love the hattor stuff especially :) Sadly no direct digital.

I was lusting after this http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...digital-amplifier-and-room-correction-system/ Lyngdorf Amplifiers

TI has a current class-d chip with 300w/ch and direct digital. Is anyone building one?

Any of you know about GaN?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The old Tripath based Tact amps were direct digital in a sense. The DA conversion occurred in the power output stage. They were digital inputs only.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IIUC, the difficulty with "direct digital" amps / "power DACs" is that feedback is harder to do than it would be in a power amp fed with an analogue input signal, as the feedback circuit must compare the analogue output signal with a digital input signal, creating difficulties in terms of re-digitising the analogue output for comparison, and doing so fast enough. I don't know much more about it than this, but perhaps a more knowledgeable soul may be able to explain this in more detail (or disabuse me of my misconception).

Talisker

Interestingly, I'm not aware of any higher power "direct digital" class D amps either. The only model I know of that would meet your needs would be the ready-built (and expensive) NAD M2.
There are some, Lyngdorf 3400 for instance ... I'm running a Technics SU-G700 right now, it's also an FDA (Full Digital Amplifier)

Top Bottom