• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fuses do affect sound, the question is how much

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When it smoked my Maggies (literally burning the foil off the diaphragm) it was history.
OUCH, that sucks Don.
I've never heard anything like the God Amighty noise made when my Phase Linear 700B blew up into my Klipsch La Scala taking out a woofer voice coil, the mid driver and tweeter all at once. o_O

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OUCH, that sucks Don.
I've never heard anything like the God Amighty noise made when my Phase Linear 700B blew up into my Klipsch La Scala taking out a woofer voice coil, the mid driver and tweeter all at once. o_O
The Phase Linear and Carver versions of the same amp have a history of blowing up. You are not alone :D

egellings

Major Contributor
There are components around the fuse to prevent open loop runaway when the fuse opens. I think the fuse was more for speaker protection from catastrophic failure rather than temporary overload problems that don't damage the amplifier. Other components in the amp monitor and limit that sort of problem.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Phase Linear and Carver versions of the same amp have a history of blowing up. You are not alone :D
Really? I never knew. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah the screws come loose that hold the output transistors to the heat sink... PooF* :D
Too bad I didn't know that back then. Very easy to do preventative maintenance in that case.
As I remember you could access them from outside the case by popping off the protective covers. :eek:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad I didn't know that back then. Very easy to do preventative maintenance in that case.
As I remember you could access them from outside the case by popping off the protective covers. :eek:
Yup... the good solution is to add lock nuts and washers. More permanent.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And a tiny drop of lightweight Locktite
I preferred using red or bright yellow metallic nail polish... it's more easily removed but still locks stuff up. The color denotes the tech that applied it. Is funny buying it from the sales lady at the department store. I want a bright individualistic color that goes really hard and tough :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I preferred using red or bright yellow metallic nail polish... it's more easily removed but still locks stuff up. The color denotes the tech that applied it. Is funny buying it from the sales lady at the department store. I want a bright individualistic color that goes really hard and tough :cool:
Purple "small fastener" Locktite would be the proper tool for that job. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Purple "small fastener" Locktite would be the proper tool for that job. ;)
Well yes and no. Working mechatronics requires a light but effective touch. Locktite generally is too good. And keeping dozens of various "chemicals and cleaners" becomes tedious and bothersome. Nail polish fills several niches and does the job just good enough and provides a colorful identifier that can be recognized by the techy user. It separates from plastics well, does not etch metals and doesn't really lock stuff in place that requires small precision tools for removal with a light touch(in general intention).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well yes and no. Working mechatronics requires a light but effective touch. Locktite generally is too good. And keeping dozens of various "chemicals and cleaners" becomes tedious and bothersome. Nail polish fills several niches and does the job just good enough and provides a colorful identifier that can be recognized by the techy user. It separates from plastics well, does not etch metals and doesn't really lock stuff in place that requires small precision tools for removal with a light touch(in general intention).
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I spent a lifetime as a professional mechanic and nailpolish is not the proper tool for securing fasteners, it's for chicks fingernails. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I spent a lifetime as a professional mechanic and nailpolish is not the proper tool for securing fasteners, it's for chicks fingernails. ;)
That's why I said mechatronics. Small precision mechanisms. I never said cars and trucks. :D I don't apply it to threads because that would be ruinous in most situations, just as a locking binder to the tops of screws and washers. It also serves as a marker to see if anybody else has been working on the gear. For a amp like your old Phase Linear with loosening screws and stripped transistor socket threads locktite would be better and more permanent.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When and Why to Use Purple Threadlocker
It’s very easy to believe in the products you sell when those products are Henkel’s LOCTITE® adhesives. But it’s even more important that our customers believe in our products. In working with customers every day, we often hear, “what is the difference between red and blue threadlocker?” Lately, though, we've been hearing more people ask about our Purple Threadlocker, LOCTITE® 222™.

LOCTITE_222

LOCTITE® Purple Threadlocker has many uses, from carburetor screws to eyeglasses to small screws on laptops. Due to its low strength, it can be removed with the same tool used to put the project together. It is available in an easy-to-use liquid application, which makes the product especially efficient with very small screw applications, less than ¼ inches in diameter.
In the feedback we receive from customers, many use it on automotive maintenance and motorcycle maintenance applications such as carburetor screws and firearms.
Some customers use it for around the house repairs like a crown knob in a wristwatch repair or on any of the many screws that can come loose in a laptop.
Not Just for Vehicle Maintenance
Overall, this product has a broad array of uses to cater to many applications. Its low strength makes it perfect, as it can be removed and resealed. Like all of our threadlockers, the purple increases safety and prevents loosening, leaks and corrosion. Long term, this means less money spent on visits to the repair shop.

Top Bottom