• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Funny and Strange Items on Sale on Amazon

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let me admit this and get it out of the way: I am a sucker for value and good sale! :) This time of year I spend some time on Amazon looking for great end of the year sale items. I almost become a shopaholic, buying stuff that I never use. Such as the carpet cleaner that is still in its box three years later. But I digress.

Besides spending money, it is sometimes quite funny to see what winds up on Amazon's hot sale list. I think the system is automatic and is gamed by vendors by putting stuff on sale that no regular merchant would ever do. A couple of years ago there was a Chinese vendor selling chain there that weighed hundreds of pounds. I can just imagine someone putting that on their Christmas shopping list!

So here we go with an item that just caught my eye as I was looking for an HDMI monitor to hook up to my HDMI microscope for electronics work:

upload_2016-11-21_22-1-45.png

See anything odd in that description???

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let's see the side view.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You all, don't tell Thomas but I am thinking about getting this for him, currently on sale on Amazon, for Christmas:

upload_2016-11-23_22-15-30.png

It is a lot more than I want to spend for him but what do you all think?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
One would imagine your trusty accountant/financial overseer would block such a frivolous purchase, regardless my lawyers (yes I have a team) say accepting gifts from a person your suing at a employment tribunal is a no no. Undermines my case apparently as it implies a agreed relationship exists of gifts over fair pay!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Check this out:

upload_2016-12-10_19-53-34.png

Engineer working at big company with big R&D budget: "Boss, I need a thermal imager that costs $15,000."
Boss: "You can have it if you can find it on sale on Amazon."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Saw raving reviews of this Festool ETS EC125/3 and searched for it on amazon to order it. This is what popped up:

upload_2017-4-2_22-57-55.png

Let's see. This is the second most expensive orbital sander you can buy. And Amazon thinks I should get a subscription and order one once a month or something???

OK, I am game but where is the darn discount? :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw raving reviews of this Festool ETS EC125/3 and searched for it on amazon to order it. This is what popped up:

View attachment 5959

Let's see. This is the second most expensive orbital sander you can buy. And Amazon thinks I should get a subscription and order one once a month or something???

OK, I am game but where is the darn discount? :D

Festool gets terrific reviews and hardcore following on woodworking forums. I have to make do with a dinky Makita and they don't offer subscription for those.:rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there is this. This is item is a "lightning deal special."

View attachment 5960

They put it on sale but don't have it for 1 to 2 *months*? What are they doing? Melting the plastic right now?

Wow serendipity and stuff. I just put a set of these on my Nephew's 4x4 Friday. Terrific little bright lights with Cree LEDs. So maybe they ran out as he purchased them from Amazon 10 days ago.

Maybe he paid 4 more dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driving-Lights-Bright-Warranty/dp/B00AZPP0Y6

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered it. Will be interesting to see if it does take 1 to 2 months. Won't need it until our dark days arrive in late Fall anyway. Will put it on my electric Quad.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon shipped the light today! Wonder how much sale they are losing over that 1-2 month shipping estimate.

And I didn't have to pay the extra $4. :D

Hopefully they didn't ship direct from China and everything is right on schedule for a delivery early June.

Could be a multi-layered marketing strategy. Get those willing to pay $4 more for speed, and still pick up non-antsy customers wanting cheap.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bought three spray bottles for spraying water and soap. As is usual, third-party vendors send you a note asking for good reviews and such. This one does the same but in the most unusual way:
-----

To our finest customer Amir,

We know you have millions of choices on Amazon, so we truly thank you for your order of Houseables 24SB-CL1 Adjustable Nozzle All Purpose Professional Sprayers, 24 oz, Pack of 3 .

Your item was carefully pulled from our shelves with surgical gloves and placed onto an extra cushioned throne fit for a king. From there, each member of our massive Houseables team of 7 employees inspected the item inch by inch, ensuring that it was just right for you. After the usual blessing from our resident Buddhist Monk, the item was hand wrapped in velvet and placed in an impenetrable canister designed to survive not one but two nuclear world wars. Old Postman Joe swung by our place to pick your item up for delivery but before we agreed to part ways, we made Joe sign a blood oath promising that nothing would prevent this order from arriving to your door in the timeliest manner possible. He thought we were joking but oh, how he was sorely mistaken. And now his finger won't stop throbbing.

Southern California is a little less sunny now that your order is gone from our lives and this transaction is near completion. But the journey is often its own reward, and we couldn't be more honored and proud to have shared this moment with you.

You will always be a hero to us.

If there was some sort of shift in the Earth's axis and your item arrived defective, damaged, or any other number of unhappy words, do let us know . It would literally break our hearts into a billion little pieces if you were disappointed in any way with your item. And we'll stop at nothing to make things right.

If you love your item as much as we loved selling it, please leave a product review to help others make a great choice! .

Thanks an infinity + 1. We hope to see you again.

Your new friends,

Top Bottom