• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fun DIY build of a bookshelf speaker

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Woodworking is what caused me to quit DIY speakers (after 3 pairs).

No matter how good I got at measurements, soldering, crossover building, etc, my woodworking skills (and equipment) always made my stuff look totally amateurish.

D

Deleted member 65

No matter how good I got at measurements, soldering, crossover building, etc, my woodworking skills (and equipment) always made my stuff look totally amateurish.

On the same woodworking skill level as you.

What I do to compensate this incompetence I have is to buy second hand cheap speakers with the correct dimensions. I then rip everything out, improve enclosure with bitumen, internal bracing and a new baffle. Some paint job (which I can do!) and done.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

AMEN on that wn. I always found woodworking to be the most daunting of skills for me. I can machine metal to under a .001 and hone to +/- .0001 but wood has always made me nuts. Maybe cause I never owned the quality equipment needed but like most hobbies/skills the expertise always comes after a real desire to learn and I was soft on that I guess.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not my greatest skill either. Luckily I have a local timber merchant who will not only supply the wood (I get to choose which pieces), and cut the wood to size, but they also employ a very skilled carpenter. He built the oak frames for my Maggies and did a beautiful job.
DSC_05821000.jpg

But even they baulked at cutting the complex upper baffle for my Linkwitz LX521's and sent them out to be CNC'd. The baffle is made of 5 pieces of oak.

DSC_059510001.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
AMEN on that wn. I always found woodworking to be the most daunting of skills for me. I can machine metal to under a .001 and hone to +/- .0001 but wood has always made me nuts. Maybe cause I never owned the quality equipment needed but like most hobbies/skills the expertise always comes after a real desire to learn and I was soft on that I guess.

It really is the medium.

Before I went to college, I was both a lumber jack and lumber mill worker. It didn't matter how experienced you were, you never were able to get to the point of being on autopilot or relaxed, because you never knew when a log or tree would have a demon knot or hidden burl that would cause a saw to go sideways, or worse, cause a multi ton log to hop off a hydraulic debarker and crush a man against a wall while he was flayed alive by high pressure water.

Top Bottom