• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fully Portable Amp that measures better than Objective2?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As the title says, anything measure better than the O2 as well as having lower output impedance?

OP
R

Roen

So how about output power? Do you use low impedance phones?

Assume I'll use high impedance cans as well as low impedance IEMs.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Topping NX4 DSD has a Line-in and functions as a pure amp too. Perhaps it should serve your need?

OP
R

Roen

Topping NX4 DSD has a Line-in and functions as a pure amp too. Perhaps it should serve your need?
Perhaps?

But 16 (2.2^2/300) mW at clipping vs. 110 mW at clipping for the O2 @ 300 ohms doesn't seem too convincing. Distortion is also slightly higher at the 16 mW level.

Johnb

Roen, your calculations are based on a poorly labeled graph. I scratched my head too when I saw it. Hey, it happens. Note that it should be 4.2V @300 ohm and 2.2V at 30 ohm. Don't have calculator handy but clean power is about 59 mW. I noticed this a couple of days ago, and mentioned it to Amir.

Johnb

I didn't want to mention it yet, but as an amp only, the Topping NX3s might fit the bill. It is very similar to NX4 DSD minus the DAC. Otherwise the amp section should measure slightly better than NX4. It is in Amir's queue to test. So, compared to O2, Lithium battery with several times longer runtime, proper relay output protection and no thump. I am told that output impedance is 5 ohm (bummer), which means >40 ohm headphones. O2 uses Nimh with slighly higher voltage so it has more output power (slightly), but don't expect O2 to achieve 120mW at 300 ohms on battery power anyway. Did I mention $50 on Massdrop, $59 on alibaba.

Around 50mW clean power is about the best you can expect from a portable amp.

Johnb

Ammend to say ......about the best from a portable amp that doesn't cost $300.

Roen, you should listen to me - I joined two days before you!

OP
R

Roen

Roen, your calculations are based on a poorly labeled graph. I scratched my head too when I saw it. Hey, it happens. Note that it should be 4.2V @300 ohm and 2.2V at 30 ohm. Don't have calculator handy but clean power is about 59 mW. I noticed this a couple of days ago, and mentioned it to Amir.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...th-and-jds-o2-headphone-amps.3928/post-126360

Based on this, you still get 2.6-ish V at 300 ohm on O2 battery, so still a bit stronger.

OP
R

Roen

Sure, if we could get @amirm to review / measure an NX3, that'd be nice too.

pauze

I have an NX4 and it plays my DT880 600ohms plenty loud below max volume, high gain mode. Obviously your loudness preference and use cases will vary, but I think it's definitely worth considering for high impedance cans on the go.

I bought mine from an authorized seller on ebay for around $118 (seller sale + ebay coupon) so if you time it right, you can get a good deal. With the holidays upon us I wouldn't be surprised if you can manage to grab it at that price again.

Dana reed

The fiio a5 might fit the bill. It has similar specs and a slightly lower impedance than the O2. I haven't seen anyone measure it though

Johnb

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...th-and-jds-o2-headphone-amps.3928/post-126360

Based on this, you still get 2.6-ish V at 300 ohm on O2 battery, so still a bit stronger.

No, no. I see distortion knee at around 4.8V with O2 on the graph. Now look at NX3s: starts rising around 4.2V but still clean at 5V. Roughly comparable. I'm speaking of 300 ohm.

Nx3s graph:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ieLnXLfsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaA.jpg

Don't know where you read 2.6 VRMS. The trace that dips the lowest is always the 300 ohm.

Johnb

A lot of guys are trying to help you out. Is this for a phone as source? Otherwise, a DAC/Amp like the NX4 would be a better proposition.

OP
R

Roen

A lot of guys are trying to help you out. Is this for a phone as source? Otherwise, a DAC/Amp like the NX4 would be a better proposition.
D50 being fed off the phone is the source.

OP
R

Roen

No, no. I see distortion knee at around 4.8V with O2 on the graph. Now look at NX3s: starts rising around 4.2V but still clean at 5V. Roughly comparable. I'm speaking of 300 ohm.

Nx3s graph:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ieLnXLfsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaA.jpg

Don't know where you read 2.6 VRMS. The trace that dips the lowest is always the 300 ohm.

Ah, I was reading the highest trace. Not much experience in reading traces.

Looks like clipping on the NX3s occurs before 4V on the graph you linked? I'm looking at the blue dotted line.

Only thing I don't like about the NX3s is that it won't be good for my sensitive IEMs.

Last edited:

Johnb

Yes, I think you're right about the iem's. Not because of sensitivity but because of their impedance. Re Nx3s, starts rising around 4V, graph show 0.0005% at 5V, which is still very good, if the graph is to believed. More to the point, why a portable amp if you are going to plug into D50? Desktop would be a whole other conversation. Amir says JDS Atom almost looks like it is a brother to the D50, and that is, without question, the desktop pairing to get.

Top Bottom