• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fully Balanced DAC/Amp Combo with XLR low impedance headphone output as well up to $800

donpablo

Hello. As in the topic of the thread.
May be used as well. I also would want it to have a preamp mode so I could use volume knob to control the outputs.

Thank you in advance.

Dvass13

The Topping DX7 Pro will give you those features for $600. The Schiit Jotunheim will give you those features for $499 plus shipping. I believe the Sabaj D5 also has all these features as well for $470. I'm sure there a few other options out there as well. If you are okay with separates, then you could easily find a DAC and amp that pair well together too.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@Dvass13 DX7 Pro has quite high output impedance through XLR (above 9 Ohms). Sabaj D5 as well. Im searching something that has max 2 Ohms output impedance on headphone XLR.
Schiit Jotunheim I see has it on 'right' level for me, however I see its measurments aren't too good (found on the forum).

I have found that Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC has it all, but they dont ship to my country (Poland) :(.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...ng&utm_content=12x12&utm_campaign=2018_criteo

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
9 ohms on the XLR output is unlikely to be an issue for most amps even pro amps.

Veri

Master Contributor
@Dvass13 DX7 Pro has quite high output impedance through XLR (above 9 Ohms). Sabaj D5 as well. Im searching something that has max 2 Ohms output impedance on headphone XLR.
Schiit Jotunheim I see has it on 'right' level for me, however I see its measurments aren't too good (found on the forum).

I have found that Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC has it all, but they dont ship to my country (Poland) :(.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...ng&utm_content=12x12&utm_campaign=2018_criteo
You can buy it here, import duties included, but the price is steep https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/monolith-thx-aaa-788-balanced-headphone-amplifier-dac-2x-akm-4493-2x-thx-aaa-788-32bit-192khz-dsd128-p-14384.html
there's a used one here, maybe he's willing to ship to Poland

Dana reed

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

I see the spec page for the Topping DX7 Pro shows the XLR headphone output with an impedance of 9.4 Ω, as you mention. But I'm curious about the Sabaj D5: where did you find specs that showed its XLR headphone output impedance was ~9 Ω? Amir measured the SE out at 3 Ω.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@RickSanchez I don't remember now however the XLR output has more often 2 times higher impedance than SE. So it would be too much for me considering low impedance hifi headphones like Aeons or Nighthawks/owls. Also I noticed the tendence that more and more new outcoming HPs have lower and lower impedance.

Btw. I have started to consider to buy only DAC like Toppind D70 or D90, I saw they have great measurments and reviews. I also have SMSL SP200 in home, however it is not internally balanced amp, so maybe I will buy something from Monoprice like 887 in the future (when it will be possible to buy in EU) and whole case will be solved for years.

Veri

Master Contributor
@RickSanchez I don't remember now however the XLR output has more often 2 times higher impedance than SE. So it would be too much for me considering low impedance hifi headphones like Aeons or Nighthawks/owls. Also I noticed the tendence that more and more new outcoming HPs have lower and lower impedance.

Btw. I have started to consider to buy only DAC like Toppind D70 or D90, I saw they have great measurments and reviews. I also have SMSL SP200 in home, however it is not internally balanced amp, so maybe I will buy something from Monoprice like 887 in the future (when it will be possible to buy in EU) and whole case will be solved for years.
Internally balanced amp has little benefit though, besides more power output of course. There's really no need to upgrade from SP200 just for balanced!
In case you never saw this before: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Top Bottom