• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Full Size" DACs?

JKJ

My use scenario puts my DAC in an equipment rack setting, so a "full size" format (something close to the standard 19" rack width; a unit around 17" wide if it doesn't have rack ears) is a feature I'm looking for. Many of the products reviewed and discussed here are more "desktop" size units that are about half that size. Are there any suggestions for a quality DAC that comes in a larger box? The Okto Stereo comes to mind, but they seem to be backordered to infinity, and I'm hoping not to wait.

I don't need a headphone amp or a built-in streaming capability or a built-in preamp, but I won't eliminate something from consideration if it has those things.

For the record, I'm moving away from a more audiophile-oriented piece that is known to not measure well to the point that it's audible, so almost anything will be an improvement. :)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest one I have is the Monoprice liquid platinum, but sounds like it might not be large enough. I saw some rack size components on Woot.com at very affordable prices which may be worth checking out.

xeizo

MiniDSP have full sized units, and full featured with DIRAC and such

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the streaming aspect isn't too front and center for your tastes. 17 inches wide (305 mm)

JSmith

Master Contributor
My use scenario puts my DAC in an equipment rack setting, so a "full size" format (something close to the standard 19" rack width; a unit around 17" wide if it doesn't have rack ears) is a feature I'm looking for.
This may be of interest;
If their spec is accurate that is...
Noise: -108dBFs
Frequency Response: >-0.5dB 15Hz to 22kHz @48k sampling
THD + Noise: 0.001% @ 1kHz
You could also use an audio interface such as;
Amir tested the smaller version here, which did quite well;

JSmith

notsodeadlizard

19" racks (and racks at all) are from professional world for a long.
On the other hand, a DAC is too simple and "non-special" device to be made as a standalone 19" rack mount component.
So, the prices will be adequate to professional specific: https://www.frontendaudio.com/lavry-engineering-quintessence-da-converter/

Buy a nice 19" case, any descent desktop DAC with a 12V trigger and without stupid rattles like useless displays, a normal linear voltage supply, and make yourself a rack mounted DAC in two or three weekends. It makes no difference where to plug the cables into the connectors - on the table or inside the box. No special knowledge and skills are required for this.

Trell

Major Contributor
I think there are 19" rack adapters to mount 1 or 2 RME ADI2 devices in a 19" rack.

Only for some of the RME ADI-2 (older) models. The current ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition does not.

unpluggged

OP
J

JKJ

I may have inadvertently steered the conversation in the wrong direction... I don't need a rack-mountable pro-style device; I'm just looking for something that's not a 6" square desktop DAC that will get lost amongst the other gear on my living room audio rack. It's a case of form being a close second to function; not one of form being the primary concern.

I'm also not terribly price sensitive on this. I mean, I'm not spending 5-figures, but I'm also not needing to keep the price to rock bottom. The Matrix Audio Element series, for example is a little larger and beefier looking than some others, but they have features I don't need that seem to jack the price up considerably.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have inadvertently steered the conversation in the wrong direction... I don't need a rack-mountable pro-style device; I'm just looking for something that's not a 6" square desktop DAC that will get lost amongst the other gear on my living room audio rack. It's a case of form being a close second to function; not one of form being the primary concern.

I'm also not terribly price sensitive on this. I mean, I'm not spending 5-figures, but I'm also not needing to keep the price to rock bottom. The Matrix Audio Element series, for example is a little larger and beefier looking than some others, but they have features I don't need that seem to jack the price up considerably.
I keep several smallish items like XLR switch boxes on rack shelves.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
What you want is a TEAC UD-701N!

Full size, cooling fins on the side, and even handles to give it that “rack mounted” look - even though it is definitely not rack-mounted.

I truly love the design.

Have not seen measurements but TEAC typically has good numbers.

Last edited:
OP
J

JKJ

I decided to get over my "has to be the same size as the rest of the gear" hang-up and ordered the SMSL D400ES and Topping D90SE to try. If for some reason I don't like the functionality of either of those, or I still can't get over the size, I may end up giving the Holo Audio May a try. Not as good on paper, perhaps, but still should be audibly transparent (but at 6x the price, which is why I'm going to give the others a chance before pulling that trigger).

Theodore8

Forum Donor

ENG

Forum Donor
What about NAD M51, it is 17,1/8” with and Amir has testet it here on ASR.

Randyman...

Velcro to the top of a larger unit, a metal 1RU rack shelf or directly to the shelf of your AV rack, and it won't go anywhere...

TheInquiring

What you want is a TEAC UD-701N!
May I also suggest HoloAudio Spring 3 or MAY DAC? In my understanding, they are similar to the above DAC. Perhaps, experts could please comment on the differences between these products, and recommend the best option…:)
As to the Musical Fidelity M6X DAC also mentioned in this thread… If I remember correctly, @amirm measured the MX-DAC, and couldn’t recommend it. Sure, the M6X is their TOTL DAC, but I would very much like to see objective measurements done by the experts here on ASR before pulling the trigger on it.;)

Top Bottom