• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full-range speaker setting in windows

Restoration2

Some people online recommend just turning this setting on when you search for it, but a lot of people don't even know this setting exists and by default it is off, and they will use their dacs as is, a simple plug and play experience. Here's an example of a recent post about it on reddit which mentions where the setting is (mmsys.cpl): https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/11kkezc
To preface, I think this setting does nothing, but for confirmation;

Has anyone measured or knows whether this setting actually affects freq. response of the dac or is it just doing nothing/placebo? (Shouldn't affect exclusive wasapi or asio, just for shared output for video, games and music from other sources). This question mainly applies to using the default windows drivers when a dac is recognised as a speaker type but it probably applies to other drivers too. My worries are either that bass could be missing or could be duplicated i.e similar to lfe+main on avrs but I can't tell. There's conflicting info with some saying to keep it on or you'll lose bass, some saying it's an outdated setting that is no-op, others saying it could introduce distortion to headphones (-EVGA faq).

staticV3

Master Contributor
I've recorded the post apo system sound many times using the Audacity loopback function and there was never any unexpected bass or treble roll off.
This is the first time I've heard of this Full-range speaker setting.
Listening to the same track via Spotify and via foobar ASIO sounds identical to me.

My bet is there's some trashy stuff with onboard audio going on or it's just placebo.
Definitely not an issue with USB DACs though.

OP
R

Restoration2

Thank you :)

I didn't know about the loopback function on Audacity and just tested it with APOs toggled; full-range on and off and sysfx effects disabled to check how frequency response alters with each setting and I can also now confirm that the 'full-range' setting does indeed do nothing to the freq. response (it is flat either way). It's just a variable for people to use to configure Microsoft's bass management enhancement only, otherwise; it has no real consequence to freq. response.

Top Bottom