• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$4000 budget

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At the same price I would go with the Revels, even though I haven't heard them.
I have the F228be. Very happy.

Full disclosure, I listened to the Paradigm Persona 3F and found it excruciating. I tend to like KEF, Harbeth, and now Revel.

Alexium

The cover does affect the sound, intentionally. The same is used on the tweeter and they call it Phase-Aligning (PPA) lens. You can read about it in their website.
That's marketing to make them stand out from the crowd, but does it really work?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's marketing to make them stand out from the crowd, but does it really work?
Paradigm strikes me as research-driven, but also showroom marketing driven. ie, they balance research with what works for *sale*, not long-term satisfaction. They seem to measure with "showroom treble". Like B&W.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You say it's marketing and then ask if it really works? Are you familiar with acoustics lens? If so, there's your answer.

OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That cover on the midrange is really odd, hard to believe it doesn't affect the sound adversely. I mean, it's possible, but hard to believe.
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news... but:
202212_ParadigmFounder80FGrilled.png

...your justified concerns now seem to be multiplied.:(

OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BMR Towers from Philharmonic Audio should be in this list.
202212_PhilharmonicBMRTowerZebra.png

the obvious choice for those in the US...
While sizing up this BMR suggestion, I chanced upon an interesting find in the PhilharmonicAudio site about a DIY speaker which starts at under $1k USD/each:
"You can also build your own BMR's at lower cost by purchasing a kit version from Meniscus Audio. The Meniscus kit includes all of the crossover parts, hardware, drivers, and plans for about $940/pr. Meniscus will also assemble and wire the crossovers for $105/pr. If you don't wish to build your own cabinets from scratch, Leland Crooks at Speaker Hardware will provide Baltic Birch flat packs for $149 - $169 a side depending on the quality of the birch veneer. "
202212_PhilharmonicBMRTowerDIY.jpg

Looks to be an interesting DIY project, while keeping the price cap @under $4k

Everett T

Forum Donor

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
View attachment 253296

While sizing up this BMR suggestion, I chanced upon an interesting find in the PhilharmonicAudio site about a DIY speaker which starts at under $1k USD/each:

View attachment 253297
Looks to be an interesting DIY project, while keeping the price cap @under $4k
The BMR kit from meniscus is for the monitor which is a large stand mount, .75 cu.ft cabinet.
The photo you posted is a special set of BMR Monitor “Towers” built by Salk. They are still .75cu.ft internal volume where it matters. ;)

Back to the Monitors: the kits are based on the original version Dennis sold up through 2019 and use the 6” Scan Speak Classic Woofer.
This is absolutely a wonderful design. If care is taken by the builder and the cabinet is done well, these monitors compete well above their price class, even when sold as Retail Speakers.

The newer version of the monitor as seen currently on the Philharmonic Audio site uses the ceramic 6” from SB Acoustics. It is not available as a kit.

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
The BMR kit from meniscus is for the monitor with is a large stand mount, .75 cu.ft cabinet.
The photo you posted is a special set of BMR Monitor “Towers” built by Salk. They are still .75cu.ft internal volume where it matters. ;)

Back to the Monitors: the kits are based on the original version Dennis sold up through 2019 and use the 6” Scan Speak Classic Woofer.
This is absolutely a wonderful design. If care is taken by the builder and the cabinet is done well, these monitors compete well above their price class, even when sold as Retail Speakers.

The newer version of the monitor as seen currently on the Philharmonic Audio site uses the ceramic 6” from SB Acoustics. It is not available as a kit.
7" woofer, but I'm sure you knew that and had the SB size on the brain :D

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it would make any sense to upgrade tiny R5s to for example F208s if I already have subwoofers dealing with low end?'

3125b

Major Contributor
I wonder if it would make any sense to upgrade tiny R5s to for example F208s if I already have subwoofers dealing with low end?'
If you've got everything else about the system all figured out and several thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket ...

This is one of Amirs earliest reviews, not great, but still good data: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f208-tower-speaker-review.13192/
R5 from Erin: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r5/
The R5 has no issue with higher SPL if it doesn't need to reproduce deep bass.
The Revel has wider but less even directivity, that could be an adavantage or a disadvantage depending or your room and preference.
If you've got subs and DSP going anyway there simply isn't much wrong with your R5.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you've got everything else about the system all figured out and several thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket ...

This is one of Amirs earliest reviews, not great, but still good data: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f208-tower-speaker-review.13192/
R5 from Erin: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r5/
The R5 has no issue with higher SPL if it doesn't need to reproduce deep bass.
The Revel has wider but less even directivity, that could be an adavantage or a disadvantage depending or your room and preference.
If you've got subs and DSP going anyway there simply isn't much wrong with your R5.
Thanks. My rational side agrees fully. Still, there is something missing from the midbass compared to my desktop 8350s which have much bigger woofers. Well, I guess I should run measurements once more and see if there is something there I missed.

3125b

Major Contributor
Still, there is something missing from the midbass compared to my desktop 8350s which have much bigger woofers.
That's mostly your imagination playing tricks on you. The 8350 has a 16% larger woofer area, but that is a mid-woofer crossed way higher.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Acoustic Energy AE320, priced somewhere around $2700/pair:
202212_AcousticEnergyAE320.png

• Zu Dirty Weekend Six (DW6) was making 'waves' in online reviews; with a limited initial-run pricing of $3200/pair (2022/09):
202212_ZuDW6.png

IMHO: There have been some 'dubious' online claims about DW6 and mixed ASR posts about the company...

• KLH Model Five is "stand-mount", but almost qualifies (stand on the floor) at $2500/pair:
202212_KLHmodelFive3600.png

IMHO: Oh, so very nostalgic and may coordinate well with some nostalgic tube gear as center stage!

Top Bottom