• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full 40 or 48 GBps HDMI on all ports of upcoming AVR’s?

DrStranger

To my understanding the full bandwidth currently of sharing audio and video features in HDMI 2.1 (even 2.1a) would only require 40 Gbps of bandwidth. I am in search of my next AVR and it’s a struggle. The pandemic, factories filling up with water and all other negative things that has been going on that causes more ore less the entire technology industry and all affected to completely halt/slow down development as well as releases, slay brands due to poor sales is not helping either. And hugging this forum and the reviews in search of next AVR is really therapy and test of my patients.

When I look at the current line up (at least the tiny info that vendors write in their spec) there are very few that has all HDMI ports with 40 Gbps. So my question is, do we think that 2022 and all the vendors will come to their senses and go full 40/48 Gbps on all ports in their next line up?

In case anyone wonders, I want to use the AVR to be my HDMI switch for all the gear instead of massive cabling behind the TV.

Jbrunwa

I have a query in to tech support on the Arcam HDR 2.1 upgrade and new models asking specifically which bandwidth and features are supported. They have stated that all their 7 HDMI ins and 2 outs are HDMI 2.1. I think I have seen specs for some HDMI chip sets stating 40 gpbs, but frankly I’m more interested in VRR(Variable Rate Refresh) and QMS (Quick Media Switching) to eliminate the bonk when frame rates change, and I hope that future streamers will include QMS. This is one of the most annoying aspects of HDMI in my system today.

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
What sources do you have that drive 40+Gbps content? Do the latest gen gaming consoles do this?
Nothing except a super high-end projector has a 48Gbps capable output chip (that I know of).

48GBps is really for 12bit color depth but there aren't TVs with 12 bit color depth slated for another year or two and there isn't media sold with that depth either (although you can create it).

Jbrunwa

Here is the query I sent Harman support and the response.

--------------- Question ---------------
I sent my AV40 in for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. Can you please tell me which HDMI features the new HDMI board will support?

Max bandwidth (40 gbps?)
VRR (Variable Rate Refresh)
ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)
QMS (Quick Media Switching)
QFT (Quick Frame Transport)

--------------- Harman Support Response ---------------
Thank you for your inquiry.

It supports all 2.1 specs, including the ones you mentioned. HDMI 2.1 is rated to transmit data at up to 48gbps. The HDMI 2.1 boards are HDCP 2.3 compliant and support 8K@60fps and 4K@120fps.

OP
D

DrStranger

What sources do you have that drive 40+Gbps content? Do the latest gen gaming consoles do this?
Yes, latest consoles, and …embarrassing to say the next bd-ultra player I am planning to buy, I read that this will be the final from Panasonic , HTPC, also to my understanding there will be 4k upgrade with enhancements that will require better bandwidth , color depth , hdr upgrades etc… the living are not done with 4k, to make room for 8k…

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

flyzipper

When I look at the current line up (at least the tiny info that vendors write in their spec) there are very few that has all HDMI ports with 40 Gbps. So my question is, do we think that 2022 and all the vendors will come to their senses and go full 40/48 Gbps on all ports in their next line up?
HDMI chip vendors like MediaTek now have options to drive full 48Gbps bandwidth (MT9613 and MT9950), so I'd expect it, but have no idea as to timing. LG's 2022 OLEDs are upping the bandwidth to 48Gbps (after dropping to 40Gbps in 2021 from 48Gbps in 2020), so that's also a step in the 48Gbps direction.

RE: "When I look at the current line up..."

Also look at what's been announced.

OP
D

DrStranger

Top Bottom