• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOLD!!!: Revel F226be, like new (2 weeks old)SOLD!!!

tjkadar

I appreciate the effort of folks trying to troubleshoot your room issues. Myself, I'm trying to figure out how I can come up with a decent offer and take 'em off your hands. By the time Congress gets any kind of stimulus package passed, these beauties will have already found a new home.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually received some good advice from Dennis Murphy which seems to have improved the sound of the Revels a bit. He suggested trying to reduce the mid-treble a few db from 3000 to 5000kHz.

In other words, add a BBC dip like B&W's have? That's blasphemy.

OP
B

blestin

I explained to Dennis that I am hearing some harshness from the Revels in this particular room, it is most noticeable at higher volumes. He suggested trying to reduce the 3000hz to 5000hz a few db if I could. I tried that with limited success, I think Audyssey handles higher frequencies poorly. Anyways I think the issue I am having in this room can’t be fixed with Audyssey, although I did eliminate some of the harness I was hearing.

My options are limited, with the optimal solution being to sell the Revels. I am not willing to put a larger carpet and cover the floor to ceiling windows with heavy curtains.

What I did learn from all this is that the Revel F226be has some mid-treble peak on axis, and shelved up response from 3000 to 7000 kHz. Interestingly I did not hear any of this or any harshness in any other room.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Sorry to hear anout your problem ,with the Revels in your room.
It would be very intersting too see the room response with your other speakers.
What is the model name of your other speakers ? I never heard of BMR

Last edited:
OP
B

blestin

Sorry to hear anout your problem ,with the Revels in your room.
It would be ivery ntersting too see the room response with your other speakers

Moving the revels is a pain in the ass, lazy atm to move them and measure the BMRs. Will probably do it this week though.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
In other words, add a BBC dip like B&W's have? That's blasphemy.

I actually just suggested that he try to iron out the peak around 4 - 5 kHz. This appears to be an inherent feature in the Revel line, and could be caused by the wave guide. You can see it in Erin's measurements of this speaker, and it hits you in the face in the Audioholics measurements of the M126Be bookshelf, and in the Soundstage measurements of the Performa3 M106 and M206. Interestingly, you don't see it in the older Performa M20, which didn't use a wave guide. . It's not severe and does go away off axis, but it could make itself heard in a room with lots of hard surfaces. It's certainly showing up in the OP's room measurements.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I think the fact that the designer of the other speakers is trying to help iron out the issues with their "replacements" is the real story in this thread. :)

Not that it's all that surprising for @Dennis Murphy - but still... far too rare these days overall.

OP
B

blestin

Dennis is unbelievably helpful and honest. I wholeheartedly recommend his BMR to everyone looking for speakers for music listening. The Revels are definitely an upgrade over them for a movie room, for music not really. I think for music it would really depend on your room and preference. I simply prefer the BMRs.

The main reason I upgraded to the revels over the BMR towers is due to aesthetics, the BMR tower was available in natural finish only. The reason for the upgrade was that I was looking for a more sensitive and dynamic speaker for movies, but it had to sound similar to the BMR. I thought the Revel would work after listening to it and I was aware there we be some tradeoffs. Unfortunately it did not workout once I got it and set it up. The main issue is not that it didn’t sound like the BMR here, which it does not, but the harshness.

Last edited:
OP
B

blestin

Here is the BMR in room response, for anyone that was interested in comparing it the Revels.
AF4CD8DC-7B2A-4C26-B7B0-1406E5898150.jpeg
672AF5C7-7B06-4847-ACC3-A6F0C0F16724.jpegAF4CD8DC-7B2A-4C26-B7B0-1406E5898150.jpeg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye Is now the happy owner and I am here waiting for Dennis to shut up and take my money for a pair fo BMR towers in black.
Will they get nice stickers, too?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They arrived in perfect condition (I took the chance and used UPS Ground). I'm still waiting on my Salamander Designs AV Cabinet as I am redoing all of my front setup/wiring/etc so have not hooked them up yet. Hoping to have the stand in the next two weeks. Maybe if the timing is right my Trinnov will arrive also (I spoiled myself with all of my profits so far if you can't tell....the Trinnov was definitely a huge splurge for my modest room/setup but the deal I got was way too good to pass up).

Top Bottom