• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FS: Modified SEAS Idunn - South-East Asia

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A long shot (especially since I'm not sure how many members are even near enough to pick it up), but my integrated amp shit the bed and I thought I'd take the chance to overhaul the entire setup, including my modified SEAS Idunn with the wonderful DXT tweeter.

The crossover follows SEAS specs, except for slightly more padding resistance for a very slightly less hot top end. The cabinet was professionally-built by a leading DIY driver and speaker kit supplier in South-East Asia (an official distributor for SEAS). My father later got nice polycarbonate covers professionally cut and glued for the speakers (worth about $80). I'll throw those in.

The crossover features Mundorf coils and caps. The baffle is shorter and wider, but CtC is crucially the same as stock. Sims I did on VituixCAD show that compared to the stock baffle, this induces a 2kHz dip that compensates for the 2kHz peak in the stock design. Certainly nothing objectionable on sweeps, a wide sweet spot (good off-axis) and no fatigue at all, yet still a substantially neutral speaker. The cabinet is 24l instead of 20l, and stuffed with lambswool. Cost me about $1400 in all.

I'm looking either for a reasonable cash offer or (even better) trade for well-engineered active speakers (eg. Genelec/Neumann or surprise me). Pick up strongly preferred. I might be able to get these measured if there's serious interest.

I'm located in Singapore.

Pictures (this was at the workshop):

0aGSQ4n.jpg

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lovely looking ones. Shame I am on the other half of the world... :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Same here. Would have loved to listen to them.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. Would have loved to listen to them.

Thanks. Most flat-baffle 2-ways just sound tizzy and strident compared to this. The off-axis peak is non-existent. This gives it an uncommon smoothness. For instance, the song "Don't Know Why" from Norah Jones clips when she hits some peaks. With these, even nearfield, I can hear the clipping but it doesn't grate on me like nearly every other speaker I've tried it on.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay. Bumping this because I almost certainly am reconfiguring for an active setup, so this needs to go. Just to clarify: this is different from the stock build, but the changes were designed and implemented by a professional builder and DIY supplier. Sims I did as a sanity check show performance is similar if not better. I can throw in a Marantz PM6004 and speaker cables if my asking price (1000SGD for ASR members) is reached.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
comparison.png

Comparison of baffle diffraction sims (mine). This would both fill in the mild 1kHz dip and lower the 2kHz peak that is present in the stock speaker. The changes are incremental - of a nature that smooths out the wiggles in the crossover region while keeping the crossover integration the same. The builder did his math.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparison with SEAS' on the same 50dB scale and width of graph. Note smoother response from 600-3kHz.

idunn-off-axis.png
off-axis-comp-200hz.png

Top Bottom