• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FS: Exasound E32 DAC and Headphone Amp on sale from ASR Lab [sold]

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, I have to start to sell some stuff before they all cave in on me. :)

I thought I start with style by selling probably the highest performing DAC in my arsenal, the Exasound E32. Those of you new to the forum have probably not heard about it but I measured it a while ago. Performance was class leading except for power supply noise that could interfere. Exasound now ships this with an aftermarket linear supply for this reason presumably. You can read about the new version which is almost identical to mine here: https://www.exasound.com/e32/e32DACOverview.aspx

As you see the retail for this is eye watering $3,499. But you are not going to pay $3,499. Not even $3,000. Or $2,800. Read on to see how much! :D

To increase my chances of selling it :), I made fresh measurements of it. First the Dashboard:

Exasound E32 Balanced Dashboard Measurement.png

The down channel performance varies a bit and reaches to 111 dB at times. That puts it in the upper spectrum of all recent DACs I have measured:
Exasound E32 Balanced SINAD Measurement.png

It also has some of the best intermodulation numbers I have measured:

Exasound E32 Balanced IMD Measurement.png

As you see, it bests even Benchmark DAC3!

That is due to very low noise floor as we see in this jitter and noise measurement:

Jitter Noise and Spectrum 256k Point FFT, 16 Averages.png

It is so low that falls off the bottom of the scale I normally measure. Moving it up we see the excellent noise floor:
Jitter Noise and Spectrum 256k Point FFT, 16 Averages -scale.PNG

That tiny spike at the start is the power supply noise I talked about.

It is also very nice looking DAC:

Exasound E32 review and measurement.jpg

The display is nicer than that. My overhead light created those foggy lines.

Crap, maybe I shouldn't sell it! :)

But I need to free up some cash and space so I will.

Price: $1,700.

Remember, by purchasing this unit you will be supporting ASR forum and feeding hungry bears in the woods (only one is true).

Note: this unit requires drivers. It will not work as-is in Linux or streaming boxes.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmmm, if I were making up measurements for something I was selling I'd show it as 2nd or 3rd best too so as not to be so obvious. :p

Just kidding. I wish I had a need for it. Hopefully someone will.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, this thing did not get sold so I am going to resort to a bribe. Anyone who gets me a buyer to take this off my hands will get $100 commision! Spread the word. Put on your best sales costume, and a smile and help get this sold! :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You probably need to try it on US audio mart:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/

or even the Canuck audio mart:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Lots of eyeballs looking for such things. E32s are not commonly available so it might go bye bye there.

Or maybe Audiogon though I don't do business there so much since they inserted themselves into the middle of transactions.

Veri

Master Contributor
Based on ESS 9028PRO chip btw. Same as DAC3 I believe?

Good luck with the sale! Looks like stellar performance honestly.

Jorj

Forum Donor
That is quite an item, wish I could afford it. It would, all by itself, be worth more than all my other gear combined.

Now, if you were going to get rid of that Topping DX7 (the first one, not the newer DX7s), we could talk. It's about the same size, if you're looking to keep the stack height down.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now, if you were going to get rid of that Topping DX7 (the first one, not the newer DX7s), we could talk. It's about the same size, if you're looking to keep the stack height down.
Make me an offer in private and I will consider it. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
That is quite an item, wish I could afford it. It would, all by itself, be worth more than all my other gear combined.

Def worth, I'm loving my DX7 for like 1.5 years now haha

la2ygoo

Forum Donor
Foobar uses replaygain to play music, with a loudness of around -20dbfs. The loudness is similar when watching a movie.
I think the imd ratio is more important than the thd+n at 0dbfs.
Exasound E32 is great, but it's too expensive for me.:facepalm:

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
Can I ask a possible dumb question? I know its opinion but is this more a musical dac or more like a benchmark sterile sounding clean dac? If either how would you feel this compares to the Schiit Gungnir Multibit? Thank you in advance!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those adjectives have no meaning in audio science. They are made up words by subjectivists. These high end DACs are transparent to your music. You play great recordings on them, they will produce goose bumps. Play crappy recorded music and you hear that. Buy buying a state-of-the-art DAC like this, you know forever that if there is anything wrong, it is either in your music recording, or what comes after this DAC.

The Schiit Multibit DACs on the other hand are far less accurate. While most people can't tell the difference audibly, in the back of your mind will be the fact that every low level detail is distorted by these DACs. It is like eating food on dirty dishes. It may not make you sick but why would you?

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
To be clear I listen to music that I love and was recorded poorly. It doesn't take away from the emotion that I feel from the music. I am just dealing with brighter speakers and or setup and trying to balance my equipment to it. I don't care about price if it can connect me to my music. This is why I listen to poorer quality songs when demoing dac's so I can see with my ears if it smooths the harshness I often hear in cheaper or poorer quality tracks. Maybe thats wrong in the science aspect of dacs but I have been surprised by dacs and I was curious how this sounds to that mindset. Thank you for the reply as well as I am getting menatally worn out by Dac data and chip sets. I have Paradigm Persona's 3F's to be exact and I want a dac to calm them down a bit.

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
So living with the Dac I have and adjusting the EQ will give me a better livability with speakers I have? I admit my room is not treated but I think the Dac has a role to play in that. Emotiva is what I am using and as good as they are they seem clean and transparent to me.

Top Bottom