• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FS: Bryston 9B ST THX (Make an offer!)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Originally a 9B ST THX, this was recently refurbished at Bryston where the factory "modified it to use the SST output devices. This modification makes the chance of output transistor failure much less likely, as these transistors are considerably more robust." The amp is still in the factory packaging as it was returned from Bryston and original manual/test results will be included.

The attached pictures were made before the trip to Bryston and, unfortunately, show a lot of dust, which can be cleaned easily, as well as minor scratches that are glaringly revealed by outdoor photography but which are nearly invisible when in use.

This is a substantial and clean-sounding amplifier that has served me well for many years. I was the original purchaser. With the new modifications, it should serve a new owner for many more.
Shipping weight: 70 lbs
Shipping Dimensions: 26" x 26" x 11"

Please make an offer. I have no use for this and it seems a pity to let it sit in my basement. Bids should include shipping and preferred payment method.

Attachments

• Front3.JPG
    Front3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 585
  • Top1.JPG
    Top1.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 610
  • Rear1.JPG
    Rear1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 926
Last edited:
OP
Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO Bryston gear is one of the only brands you can truly buy sight unseen. Built like tanks, well-engineered, and fully transferable 20(!) year warranty. This unit is going to be a good value whatever the exact sale price ends up being here.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Lovely piece of gear.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I've been swearing by them and never at them for over 30 years. Solid product and service.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Sure is. Compare this to an AVR:
View attachment 91637

This is what drives the speakers the KAV 250a/3 doesn't in the big system. It is another 'relic from days gone by' that I'd have a tough time wanting to 'upgrade' from. Between those two amps (Well, 8 amps really), I feel like I've got what I need covered.

I'd give this one a 'highly recommended' from my personal experience. How old is it? Still got any of that 20 year warranty left? Whatever these go for, it's a bargain, imo.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If you are looking for a classic "old iron" amplifier this is one worth looking at. I am seriously considering it for my planned overhead speakers. It is overkill for them, but this is a classic amp at a great price.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am seriously considering it for my planned overhead speakers. It is overkill for them, but this is a classic amp at a great price.

Just buy it Don. :) It has to go to a US buyer (120V) and 30kg+ weight.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you are looking for a classic "old iron" amplifier this is one worth looking at. I am seriously considering it for my planned overhead speakers. It is overkill for them, but this is a classic amp at a great price.

Knowing what you've got on the floor, what are you thinking for the ceiling speakers?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just buy it Don. :) It has to go to a US buyer (120V) and 30kg+ weight.

Ah, John, so good art thou at spending my money, I should have known. :) To be sure, I am sorely tempted, and working on how I might arrange it. I have heard many Brystons over the years but never owned one. Despite a few years in audio at the time, I first heard the name when a band on tour came through town and I helped set up their system, and noticed a rack of Bryston's to drive their array. Their soundman raved about them for sound and durability, and said he used them in his home system.

Knowing what you've got on the floor, what are you thinking for the ceiling speakers?

My room is not large, and I have panels overhead so hanging them low enough to clear the panels might lead to a few knocked heads, but I am looking at four Revel M80XC's aimed at the couch. That has been my plan for a while, and one reason for the SDP-75, but life's been crazy. Too many work hours, too much else going on, and funds are tight this year. I made up drawings months ago but my dealer was not sure how they'd fit so I am still cogitating. I got a box the size of the speakers today to see how I might position them. The M55XC's or SCS8's would be less imposing but I really want (not sure of need) the extra bass. Work in progress.

Kal has made me an offer I probably can't refuse, hope to work it out this weekend. There are some other considerations (unrelated to Kal, the amp, or audio) to be dealt with (no, not my wife, she knows me and feels much as John -- "Get it while you can!" -- I am blessed). Despite the ostensibly lower power I am tempted to replace my Emotiva XPA-5 on base duty (center, surrounds, rears) with the Bryston and use the Emo for the top speakers.

Just when I swore my next amp(s) would not be back-breakers...

Still, this would be an awesome amp for anyone.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@DonH56 Just go out to that shed of yours and find something super rare and collectible gathering dust and sell it to cover the Bryston. One new thing in, and an old thing out the door. Problem solved. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How many decades of warranty does it have left?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Sure is. Compare this to an AVR:
View attachment 91637
There ya go! When I say “I want impressive” ...that’s exactly what I’m after.
None of those Nancy pants avr amps, and truthfully...though perhaps my bias doesn’t necessarily reflect reality...I’ll take an old school beast over class D any day. Sweet buy, and ya know it’s been loved. Envy is mine...

OP
Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How many decades of warranty does it have left?
You can measure that in months but, probably, extended a bit by the recent factory refurbishment.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
No personal experience, but I’ve heard Bryston is known for servicing amps at no charge past the 20 year warranty period. Regardless...I’m sure it’ll be a non issue.

Top Bottom