• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FS: Audio-relevant Rennsteig (Knipex) Crimp System tools

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few crimp tools I bought years ago when I thought my original set was lost in a move. Fortunately my old set came back to me, but these things are generally not Amazon Prime returnable purchases...

These tools are the pick-your-analogy Benchmark AHB2, Purifi, JBL M2, Revel Salon2 of hand crimp tools. The claims to fame are number of available crimp dies as well as locators for different connectors, and parallel crimp action (as opposed to alligator-mouth style).

The crimp frames can be used with any Rennsteig or Knipex "Crimp System" compatible die, including specialty ones such as Neutrik's. (Neutrik rebrands the Rennsteig/Knipex crimp frame.) A 2.5mm hex key is required to change dies.

New, unopened, loaded with dies: $125 ea.

1) Rennsteig 624 050 3. This frame is loaded with a die to crimp for open-barrel connectors of between 20AWG and 10AWG. This die is compatible Neutrik NL-Faston and many open barrel quick disconnects used for drive units, inside amps, etc. I'm sure there are other open barrel terminals, but those are the use cases I know. This tool normally sells in the $250 range in either Rennsteig or Knipex colorways. (Knipex owns Rennsteig.)
IMG_3590.jpegIMG_3591.jpeg

2) Rennsteig 624 667 3. This frame is loaded with a die to crimp D-sub connectors, such as DB25 used in snakes as well as some high end processor analog and AES digital outputs. Knipex x-ref for the die is 97 49 24. I don't know if Knipex sells the frame and die together.
IMG_3592.jpegIMG_3593.jpeg

New but unused opened crimp frame, with dies - $100 ea.
IMG_3596.jpeg

1) Rennsteig 624 frame + 624 060-3 0 crimp die. This set is for 20AWG-10AWG butt connectors, such as to extend speaker cables. Also used with heat shrink butt connectors on boats, etc.
(NOTE: the small gap in the middle is intentional. See image of this die at Digikey.) Knipex x-ref for the die is 97 49 07.
IMG_3594.jpeg

2) Rennsteig 624 frame + 624 020 3 0 crimp die. This die is for uninsulated closed-barrel terminals, 24AWG to 14AWG wire. Knipex x-ref for the die is 97 47 10
IMG_3595.jpeg

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
[ "just sayin' ] Knipex is great. ...Looking at Knipex tools in catalogs makes me want to spend money when I shouldn't. ...Maybe even more so than with some German and Japanese tools.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a buyer myself but I bought a similar mil and aerospace spec/certified USA made $400.00 ratcheting crimper plus 3 dies and it made my industrial job of crimping up to hundreds of terminations per day veryyy easy on my hand and wrist. It solved the muscle cramps and twitching that was caused by a non-ratcheting crimper. The price you are asking is very veryy fair. I expected a significantly higher asking price.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I expected a significantly higher asking price.

This stuff certainly isn’t cheap even at these clearance prices, but I’m hoping someone here has a use for them and a preference for elite level tools. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This stuff certainly isn’t cheap even at these clearance prices, but I’m hoping someone here has a use for them and a preference for elite level tools. :)
I shifted over to industrial electromechanical assembly of heavy duty equipment from mechatronics repair. Sooooo... I gathered a large assortment of my own hand tools and some of them where very specialized and expensive. USA Ebay was a great source of stuff that was not available locally or in Canada. I noticed that stuff like the good crimpers and other specialized tools would go for good prices and I had to be fast on the draw in order to get them before they sold. I bet that if you listed those crimpers on ebay they would be sold in a fairly fast manner. :D I suggest you put them on Ebay as a "Buy it now" situation so you can set your price. There's probably hundreds of peeps in the USA looking for proper crimpers everyday and they will turn to Ebay.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I suggest you put them on Ebay as a "Buy it now" situation so you can set your price. There's probably hundreds of peeps in the USA looking for proper crimpers everyday and they will turn to Ebay.

But you have to deal with ebay, pay commisions, and potentially dodgy customers and risks. Members here aren't going to screw over another member for a few hundred dollars. I think they are a bargain and some people here will pick up TOTL crimping tools at half price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But you have to deal with ebay, pay commisions, and potentially dodgy customers and risks. Members here aren't going to screw over another member for a few hundred dollars. I think they are a bargain and some people here will pick up TOTL crimping tools at half price.
I'm not familiar with dodgy buyers on Ebay I had a storefront setup but never used it. As a regular buyer for years I found most sellers to have good integrity. I find I can sell most anything I don't want on Kijiji (Available in 220 USA cities I read.) and because I am always selling brand name properly operating stuff I have no issues with a cash deal. :D Kijiji rocks but I always want to see the stuff operating before paying if I am buying and I will demonstrate the operation of stuff for a buyer if requested.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Willing to trade one for some sketchup design implementation (open baffle midbass bin, standmount speaker).

Top Bottom