• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Frugel Horn Speakers

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently put together a Frugel-Horn kit I purchased from Planet10 Hi-fi in Victoria, British Columbia, quite a while ago. The four-inch drivers are from Mark Audio, they're Alpair 7 generation 3. I've since sanded the cabinets and will be applying red-oak veneer.

It's surprising the bass that comes from a 4" driver in this speaker configuration!

Frugel Horns 1.jpg
Frugel Horns 2.jpg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Any comments on tuning the sound with quantity and placement of wadding below the driver?

QMuse

Major Contributor
I recently put together a Frugel-Horn kit I purchased from Planet10 Hi-fi in Victoria, British Columbia, quite a while ago. The four-inch drivers are from Mark Audio, they're Alpair 7 generation 3. I've since sanded the cabinets and will be applying red-oak veneer.

It's surprising the bass that comes from a 4" driver in this speaker configuration!

View attachment 69796View attachment 69797

Maybe the secret lies in that nice tube driven Singer sewing machine. :D

Nybto

Forum Donor
I would be very interested in your overall impression and comparison to the other speakers. Any strengths or weaknesses? Are any benefits of a cross-overless design realised? Congratulations on your burst of creativity, by-the-way!

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Apparently adding more acoustic fibre (wadding) reduces the bass & removing some fibre increases the bass. I have the drivers out of the cabinet now as I'm going to start to veneer them (subject to procrastination); so I have yet to do that.

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
The speakers are finally finished/veneered. I had someone else veneer them for me since I figured I would mess it up.

The bass from the little 4" driver is amazing!

Frugel Horn 1 .jpg
Frugel Horn 2 .jpg

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Fyi the other gear is: Rotel 1572 Integrated, REGA Naos speakers and REGA Apollo R CD player.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Fyi the other gear is: Rotel 1572 Integrated, REGA Naos speakers and REGA Apollo R CD player.
Beautiful Kit! Love the wood…..

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Amir will be pleased to know I sold the tube amplifier in the first picture of the thread! ;)

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Respect, for the woodwork. Very nicely done.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice veneering. Have you taken any measurements? I’ve always been intrigued by the these as they look as simple as a diy speaker build can get.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My damned aged brain's now going into overdrive - Are those Rega Jura's behind? I fondly remember the Jura mk1 but thought the tweets were above the bass driver and not below. The mk1 needed some foam damping in the ports and MUST have spikes ideally but the Jura 2 did some tweaks and the bass disappeared, leaving a very brightly lit sound I remember.

A pal has made some Frugelhorns also using mark Audio drivers and loved them, but a recent pair of stand mounted Mission QX2s (Peter Comeau designed I gather) whichhe saw at a good price and prefers them marginally I think.

P.S. Oh hang on - them Regas aren't Naos are they? I loved those at one time :)

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
My damned aged brain's now going into overdrive - Are those Rega Jura's behind? I fondly remember the Jura mk1 but thought the tweets were above the bass driver and not below. The mk1 needed some foam damping in the ports and MUST have spikes ideally but the Jura 2 did some tweaks and the bass disappeared, leaving a very brightly lit sound I remember.

A pal has made some Frugelhorns also using mark Audio drivers and loved them, but a recent pair of stand mounted Mission QX2s (Peter Comeau designed I gather) whichhe saw at a good price and prefers them marginally I think.

P.S. Oh hang on - them Regas aren't Naos are they? I loved those at one time :)

Yes Rega Naos speakers, I really like them! This is a "side system" my main speakers are Tri-Art Open Baffle speakers made in Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Rjbell78

Yes Rega Naos speakers, I really like them! This is a "side system" my main speakers are Tri-Art Open Baffle speakers made in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to revive an old thread but there is very little on the web about the Naos. I've been waiting for a used pair to come up for sale in my area as I've got the alyra and love them but I want to try some transmission lines. How do they compare with the frugal horns?

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Sorry to revive an old thread but there is very little on the web about the Naos. I've been waiting for a used pair to come up for sale in my area as I've got the alyra and love them but I want to try some transmission lines. How do they compare with the frugal horns?

There is no comparison, the Rega speakers are far far superior. Very solid not bloated bass (and I should have them pulled out from the wall) and beautiful midrange and non-fatiguing treble. There is very little information on the NAOS on line, I've read they were their flagship model for a short period of time.

I just googled the REGA Alya speakers, I've never heard of them. They look quite similar to the NAOS.

Rjbell78

There is no comparison, the Rega speakers are far far superior. Very solid not bloated bass (and I should have them pulled out from the wall) and beautiful midrange and non-fatiguing treble. There is very little information on the NAOS on line, I've read they were their flagship model for a short period of time.

I just googled the REGA Alya speakers, I've never heard of them. They look quite similar to the NAOS.
The alyas strength is the non fatiguing treble as well. The tweeter looks similar in the both models so perhaps it's the same one? It's very little information on the alyas either but slightly more than the Naos which is virtually nothing.

The alys are lovely sounding speaker but I've got a transmission line itch to scratch. I won't get rid of the alyas though.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply I didn't get a notification by email. It was a great help. I was considering going down one of the mark audio transmission line routes.

Top Bottom