• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

From old AV123 Rockets RS760s to Emotiva T1+, JBL 180s..or something else

GabrielPhoto

Hi all!
So I have been considering changing speakers mainly because my projector room is all black and my Rosewood Rockets stick out a lot.
Also because, my speakers are old of course so I have a sort of Frankenstein system right now.

LCR is fine as they are Rockets RS760s and the matching RSC200 (known in the past as bigfoot) center speaker.
But the rest is all a mix...
The sides are Ascend Acoustics 170s
The rears are AV123 ELT 525 bookshelves
The Atmos are Polk Audio OWM3
Of course I can always try to hunt down all rockets to fix the kit but I dont see much point on that at this time.

So looking around, these Emotiva speakers seems to be a great bang for buck plus there is a big center which is crucial for me. I always start looking for the center speaker first before picking a new setup.
I also started looking at the JBL 180s which are even more affordable and seem to get great reviews.

Anyways, the center is CRUCIAL for me since it will be an HT system only.

I will be driving these with a Denon x4400H and an old Kenwood KM-X1000 for the Left and Right
I already have 3 Subs (2 x HSUs and one MFW-15)

Thanks!

Odorb

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Oh that is a bummer as because of my large projector screen I am surely not seating in line with the tweeter of my current Center.
I need to measure how off axis I am. Does it matter as much if I have it angled towards my ears though?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Does it matter as much if I have it angled towards my ears though?
It won't matter. Since vertical directivity is good for most centers. So even if don't angle the center speaker's tweeter vertically towards your ears, you'll still likely be in it's window +-6db window of sound.

It's the horizontal directivity you have to worry about...which is why 2-way centers aren't recommended for anything wider than a single person's spot.

Emotiva C2+ is disappointing in design. I wouldn't purchase it.
The C1+ should perform a lot better, but of course, it's been out of stock for a while now.

Also SVS Prime center was a let down as well.
Where are all the good 3-way center channels? :(

Consider Kef Q150/350, laying on their side.
Of course, Kef R2C is a great choice...but pricy!

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

It won't matter. Since vertical directivity is good for most centers. So even if don't angle the center speaker's tweeter vertically towards your ears, you'll still likely be in it's window +-6db window of sound.

It's the horizontal directivity you have to worry about...which is why 2-way centers aren't recommended for anything wider than a single person's spot.

Emotiva C2+ is disappointing in design. I wouldn't purchase it.
The C1+ should perform a lot better, but of course, it's been out of stock for a while now.

Also SVS Prime center was a let down as well.
Where are all the good 3-way center channels? :(

Consider Kef Q150/350, laying on their side.
Of course, Kef R2C is a great choice...but pricy!
Thanks for the reply.
I found this about my current Center.
How do you feel it compares?

1642083863649.png

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

But those are that HSU is pretty small..will look like a midget in the center of my 12' screen lol
I am considering trying to find a way to change to an AT screen and placing the center at the proper height now as what I am seeing is not looking promising so far.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for the reply.
I found this about my current Center.
How do you feel it compares?

View attachment 178763
Those dips around the crossover frequency look like 10db or higher.
That gives me some worry that the speaker had problems with design.
3-way centers shouldn't have such large dips.
My suggestion, look for something more modern...and of course, measuring better.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Those dips around the crossover frequency look like 10db or higher.
That gives me some worry that the speaker had problems with design.
3-way centers shouldn't have such large dips.
My suggestion, look for something more modern...and of course, measuring better.
Thank you!

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

How it the Axiom VP160 compared to this C2+ and my RSC200?

Top Bottom