• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Freya+

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh man I came here because I have the same question. I sure have to turn up my Freya+ to get good volume out of it. It is feeding 2 Liberty Audio B2B monoblocks (600w @ 4ohm each) and I feel they aren't getting the power they need. I cant find a voltage spec anywhere for the F+. I am wondering if I should try the matching LA B2B preamp that advertises "117V / 234V @ 50/60 Hz" of input voltage. But OTOH I'd kinda like to know/research before throwing more money at the system..

Have you tried another pre-amp?
Are you using the xlr outs? Have you tried the tube buffer? It has quite a bit more gain.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am using xlr and tube buffer. My whole signal path is xlr.
When using the tube buffer the Freya+ volume knob barely gets past 12 o'clock and the house if rockin'. When using the other 2 buffers have to crank it past 2-3 o'clock but it seems to be non-linear as the volume skyrockets past that point. That's w/ the Purifi or a Rotel AB amp.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes, I am using xlr and tube buffer. My whole signal path is xlr.
It really depends on the source. In the end tough I have enough volume for everything, my CD Player can get Deafening loud. For some reason, me it's just specifically NetFlix over a Bluetooth receiver that is considerably lower in volume for some reason. My "issue" is in the end not so much of an Issue, I may have sounded that it was lacking but it's really specific. What is upstream of the Freya+?

andy727

Thanks for the replies.

For regular listening, when the players in the soundstage feel like they are about the right size, if you will, I have to have the volume around 1-2pm. 11-12 is good for background music.

To get it really rocking and in some recordings, for the music to come alive and to get to feel more like a "live" experience, I am past 2pm. This makes me feel like its too much...but maybe thats normal for the Freya. I've never had a system where I had to turn the volume up so high.

I am mostly using a Cambridge 851n streamer via XLR to the F+, but the case is the same when using my other sources: Musical Fidelity A5 CD player and Pro-ject turntable.

I recently watched one of Paul McGowan's videos about matching the voltage of the pre-amp to the power amp, which is what prompted me to look into and end up here asking about it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies.

For regular listening, when the players in the soundstage feel like they are about the right size, if you will, I have to have the volume around 1-2pm. 11-12 is good for background music.

To get it really rocking and in some recordings, for the music to come alive and to get to feel more like a "live" experience, I am past 2pm. This makes me feel like its too much...but maybe thats normal for the Freya. I've never had a system where I had to turn the volume up so high.

I am mostly using a Cambridge 851n streamer via XLR to the F+, but the case is the same when using my other sources: Musical Fidelity A5 CD player and Pro-ject turntable.

I recently watched one of Paul McGowan's videos about matching the voltage of the pre-amp to the power amp, which is what prompted me to look into and end up here asking about it.
If you're turning it up to 2-3 o'clock while using the tube buffer I'd wonder if something's amiss. At that volume w/ the tube buffer I'd be running out of the room.

Top Bottom