• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Frequency Response Comfort

xykreinov

Forum Donor
There is no doubt in my mind or ears that a flat response in a speaker or the Harman Target in a headphone are the closest things to an ideal frequency response for sound quality.
However, for long listening sessions, tactile bass and resolving treble sometimes fatigue my ears. I occasionally find myself dialing 0-70Hz and 4-10kHz down a few notches on my speakers and headphones. It doesn't sound better at all, but it is just a tad comfier.
Anyone else find a certain frequency responses balance more comfortable over long listening sessions, regardless of sound quality or resolution?

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is no doubt in my mind or ears that a flat response in a speaker or the Harman Target in a headphone are the closest things to an ideal frequency response for sound quality.
However, for long listening sessions, tactile bass and resolving treble sometimes fatigue my ears. I occasionally find myself dialing 0-70Hz and 4-10kHz down a few notches on my speakers and headphones. It doesn't sound better at all, but it is just a tad comfier.
Anyone else find a certain frequency responses balance more comfortable over long listening sessions, regardless of sound quality or resolution?

This is the exact reason why I opt for speakers with a slight dip at 1-4khz and the rest above slightly below 0db nowadays. Its not that expensive anyway to get such a speaker and with so much data at hand, its easy to sort out which speaker suits your taste. A way more comfortable listen and when I want to be critical I can go to my flat speakers.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
So. I have a "house curve" that is 2dB boosted in the bass and down 8db at 20khz. For bass heavy tracks I also have a curve that is -2dB dipped. Looks like this.

Figure_1.png

Figure_2.png

Additionally I have an EQ only on the mids that looks like this:

Code:
Filter: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain +4 dB Q 2.87
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2.87
Filter: ON PK Fc 7200 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 4.32

I can make this more revealing by changing the treble tilt, but for most of the day this is really comfortable without being boring or dull. So yeah I agree with OP.

OP
xykreinov

xykreinov

Forum Donor
So. I have a "house curve" that is 2dB boosted in the bass and down 8db at 20khz. For bass heavy tracks I also have a curve that is -2dB dipped. Looks like this.

View attachment 159606
View attachment 159607

Additionally I have an EQ only on the mids that looks like this:

Code:
Filter: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain +4 dB Q 2.87
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2.87
Filter: ON PK Fc 7200 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 4.32

I can make this more revealing by changing the treble tilt, but for most of the day this is really comfortable without being boring or dull. So yeah I agree with OP.
Oh okay, interesting. I recognize your name, I used your AutoEQ settings for my old Sony WH-1000XM3s a long time ago. Coincidentally, I remember it being more comfortable than the default AutoEQ tune.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, just guidelines.

Even if you have speakers with the most perfect response there is always the room and its contents to consider. Therefore I aim for a flat response at my ears but tinker with that because of my age related hearing issues, which nearly all of us will have to some degree. In addition even though most of my recordings (mostly studio bound pop) sound good there was one classical choir that was ear piercing. This may be due to the recording or the peculiarities of my ears. My solution was to adjust the recording itself.

I understand overall the aim is not for flat but smooth FR. And FR is not the only big factor in good sound - decay times are just as if not more important.

Top Bottom