• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Frankenstein or Mozart?

NikJi

I always wanted speakers with paper cones since my first love was a Philips Hi-Fi system owned by my father and which had 8" paper cones, and for me they set the benchmark for tonality and quality of music reproduced. This was in 1969. However, all speakers that were available thereafter were some version of some exotic driver material ranging from ceramic to titanium and everything in between including all kinds of dented, corrugated and smooth polycarbonate.

3 years ago I got the 3-way Elac Debut 2.0 floorstanders F6.2. These have woven aramid fiber (ie Kevlar) drivers and for most parts they were good but not quite there. Somehow they did not let me listen to music all day long. They have a very easy travel (loose suspension) which IMHO muddies up the sound waves quite a bit. It is great for low powered amplifiers though as they respond easier. Anyway, I see the SourcePoint10, and the paper woofer with corrugated surrounds and it reminds me of my father's system. My benchmark. My mind starts thinking about what would happen if I changed the Elac Debut 2.0 to paper cone speakers?

So I start searching for and I find a 6.5" paper cone woofers with a decent frequency response chart. In my search I not only find that but also a 6.5" paper cone woofer with a good sub-bass to bass response from the same manufacturer. So I take these woofers and replace the Elac 6.5" woofers with them. I made no other change. Same crossover. I then played Seeya by DeadMau5 which was also what was played by AJ on his SourcePoint10 demo video on YT.

This is the result measured when playing and I am sitting 12 feet away right in the center of the two towers.

thumbnail_IMG_3386.png

OP
N

NikJi

So the question is - Are these the Elac Frankenstein or Elac Mozart?

Capitol C

Did you measure the original kevlar drivers in he cases for comparison? It is hard to imagine that just dropping in a different pair of drivers with most-likely different parameters would do anything but make things worse.

Top Bottom