• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fostex RP discussion and mods thread: all variations of TxxRP, T-X0, and RPKIT50

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I said nothing about restrictions.

What I stated is that with EQ and mods you can only reach a certain level of fidelity.

It depends on what the goal is... if the goal is to play around with a driver and take the headphone apart and apply all sorts of modifications then there is nothing as suited as these RP Fostexes.
When the goal is to have a headphone and enjoy the ultimate in sound quality then it might be best to look at some other headphones than these particular Fostex RP range.

Alchemist_

I said nothing about restrictions.

What I stated is that with EQ and mods you can only reach a certain level of fidelity.

It depends on what the goal is... if the goal is to play around with a driver and take the headphone apart and apply all sorts of modifications then there is nothing as suited as these RP Fostexes.
When the goal is to have a headphone and enjoy the ultimate in sound quality then it might be best to look at some other headphones than these particular Fostex RP range.
I don't plan to disassemble the headphones to modify them, other than replacing the ear pad cable.

For example Drop HE5XX is a suitable replacement for the RP series? Or maybe even something with a dynamic driver?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a pair recently as well. T50 RP MK III.

Initial impression was positive. I plugged in my mic into my ear and did a measurement. FR looked a bit wonky. Green is HD600, purple is Fostex.

600vsT50.jpg

I managed to EQ by eye to something sensible I thought. Saved the EQ settings and started listening. Here how it looks EQed. Green HD600, red/pink EQed Fostex T50RP. (I like bass)

600vsT50 - EQ.jpg

At first it was fine but with some songs it was still sounding a bit weird in a way I find it hard to describe. I read Solderdude's post on channel imbalance and decided to measure it again on my other ear this time.

600vsT50 - EQ - R.jpg

What a mess! Green is HD600 and Yellow is T50RP R channel, with EQ that matched the L to HD600 somewhat. Big hole around 180Hz and 3700Hz and large peak at 2700Hz. (For reference, I put the mic on my other ear, measured HD600 again, and measured Fostex without touching the mic again for consistency).

Is this a measurement error on my part or really a shltty channel matching on Fostex's part?

Alchemist_

I had a T60RP and loved its bass. His interconnect cable was frayed. And there was an imbalance of channels. In the end I sold it. He also weighed a lot)

What I like about the T60RP is that there are holes between the ear and the speaker, excess sound and heat go there, it can also be loud without distortion, but that’s where the advantages end.
I don't know any other headphones with these properties(

How to look for imbalance:
To check the imbalance, a tone generator, for example this one, will help you.
You also need to listen to your usual music, but in mono format.

https://www.loudsound.ru/generator/

we put on the ears (as usual, the left channel in the left ear ... etc.), turn on the tone generator, draw it from left to right, then from right to left, it should ring equally loudly in both ears.
We change the headphones (left channel to the right ear ... etc.) and repeat the procedure.

In the case of Fostex, the holes can be plugged with rubber bands and a second test can be carried out according to the principle described above, when everything is tight, it will be clear whether the connector and speakers make a difference (channels and frequency response).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I got a pair recently as well. T50 RP MK III.

Initial impression was positive. I plugged in my mic into my ear and did a measurement. FR looked a bit wonky. Green is HD600, purple is Fostex.

View attachment 325243

I managed to EQ by eye to something sensible I thought. Saved the EQ settings and started listening. Here how it looks EQed. Green HD600, red/pink EQed Fostex T50RP. (I like bass)

View attachment 325244

At first it was fine but with some songs it was still sounding a bit weird in a way I find it hard to describe. I read Solderdude's post on channel imbalance and decided to measure it again on my other ear this time.

View attachment 325245

What a mess! Green is HD600 and Yellow is T50RP R channel, with EQ that matched the L to HD600 somewhat. Big hole around 180Hz and 3700Hz and large peak at 2700Hz. (For reference, I put the mic on my other ear, measured HD600 again, and measured Fostex without touching the mic again for consistency).

Is this a measurement error on my part or really a shltty channel matching on Fostex's part?

Fostex T50RP-mk3

Alchemist_

A few days ago I brought home the T50RP, they interested me because it is isodynamic and weighs only 315 grams.
I returned the headphones because:
1) the left bank has a little more bass.
2) when adding equalizer, both 990 headphones sound better.
ps the sound of the 990 depends heavily on the ear pads.

What we managed to understand from listening in the store:
If you put ear pads from the T60RP on the T50RP, it becomes very similar to the T5050RP. They also have very high clamping force.
I once had a T60RP, there was also an imbalance problem, strange quality...in that regard.

Top Bottom