• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi MO-3 Monaural Amplifier requires L+R Inputs???

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Fosi MO-3 Monaural switchable Sub/Full Range amplifier based on the TPA3255D2 chip, planning to use it for my new center channel until my Ghent/ICEpower amp case and module arrive - and keeping it for a backup since I live in a remote area of Panama where things take 7-10 day to arrive from the U.S.

Seeing the L+R inputs in the photos before I bought it, I assumed that the amp sums the channels internally and that I could simply use the right channel RCA input for mono. I checked the manual - nothing there. Then I went to the Q&A at Amazon, and the the seller - Fosi - says that you must use two channels of input - using a Y-cable if necessary - even though it is a monaural amp with a single speaker output!

Does that even make sense?

Should I go ahead and just connect my center channel output to the Right channel RCA Input and leave the left input empty? (I bought an XLR>RCA cable just for this application.)

Fosi MO3 Mono Amplifier.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the seller misunderstood what you are trying to do. Maybe the seller thought you want to sum both channels? Did you try just the single RCA?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the seller - Fosi - says that you must use two channels of input - using a Y-cable if necessary - even though it is a monaural amp with a single speaker output!

Does that even make sense?
It doesn't ring any alarms.

Should I go ahead and just connect my center channel output to the Right channel RCA Input and leave the left input empty? (I bought an XLR>RCA cable just for this application.)
Sure go ahead and connect this way but get a RCA adapter Y-splitter so the input power transfer is as they claim to require at both the left and right channels.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got everything working - the temporary el cheapo Fosi monaural amplifier seems to work fine with input from the AVP centerchannel output to the Fosi right channel only of the L/R inputs.

It took a while to figure out the Kodi settings, including telling Kodi that I have a 3.0 system, but Kodi recognized the IOTAVS as specific digital device, and all I had to do was select it. Now my several year old Intel NUC HTPC and the IOTAVX seem to be communicating and working properly together with all the Dolby and other audio features enabled. When I select a multichannel movie, Kodi shows all of the A/V parameters in the MP4 file in little boxes at the bottom of the screen.

I will report/review on my new setup after I run the IOTAVX 4K 7.1 DSP utility tomorrow. (It comes with a calibration microphone.) The IOTAVX looks to be everything I expected it would be - a really fine AV preamp and processor with both RCA and balanced XLR audio outputs at a great price.

And I will update the info after I get my three identical channels of ICEpower amplification 200ASC, hopefully in 3-4 weeks, but it sounds pretty good now. Subjectively, it sounds like there is some mid-bass bloat which is muddying the dialog from the center channel, but DSP should help with that. One of the reasons I bought the Wharfedale D300 series speakers is they are raised on little feet with downward facing ports which, like front-ported designs, supposedly helps with bass issues with rear-ported speakers too close to a back wall.

Top Bottom