• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FOSI Box X4 review

Godbones

Full disclosure. I acquired the FOSI Box X4 directly from FOSI as a tester, no charge and am writing my review of it. It is being played through a Yaqin MC10T tube amp, which does not have a phono preamp. I am using a Numark TT-1910 turntable with a Audio-Technical AT-VM95C cartridge and listening through a vintage pair of Radio Shack Nova 7B 3-way speakers.

The packing on the product is excellent, shipped from China with no issues. It came with 2 GE 5654W tubes. They are a premium tube and actually cost about $15 each, so that’s $30 of the value right there. No much to figure out plugging it in, although nearly everyone seems to struggle getting the tubes installed, as the pin sockets are not particularly friendly. I’ve had a lot of experience with tubes and tube amps and what I’m seeing is that recent quality of newly manufactured tube sockets is pretty bad compared to days gone by. That said, the unit is well constructed overall and includes a nice grounding

I’m very happy with the performance of this little guy and find for the money it’s hard to beat. This model does include bass and treble and I’m quite happy with that as my amp does not have any equalization. There is also a volume, which I find needs to be turned about 3/4 the way up. I have not utilized the line in as I’m only interested utilizing the phono preamp feature, remaining fully analog. The unit does also connect to active speakers via the headphone out.

I was not impressed with the headphone amplification quality. The sound was thin to my ears. I’m using a pair of Audio Technica studio monitor closed ear headphones. I compared the sound with my digital receiver, a Panasonic SA-HE 200, a noticeable difference between the two, with the Panasonic sounding appreciably better. So I wouldn’t buy this unit for the headphone amplification.

Overall, a great product for what it is designed to do, phono preamplification for moving magnetic cartridges. I would not think twice about spending the $80 for this product.

AddamR

I've just purchased the Box X4 and run my SMSL D-6 through it and out to the 2 x BT30D Pros.

I'm impressed. I don't have any measurement tools, but when ears ejaculated, I just knew. (for reference, I'm high functioning autistic and sound is one thing that I hear a lot of, music in particular, I can immerse myself in pure heaven).

The mids and highs have been brought forward with a more warmer sound, larger presence, lows more subdued and nuanced.

I have a Dual 1215 that I'll be connecting, but it needs a service/repair before use, but initial tests on BT are positive.

Currently listening to 'Jardin d'hiver by Lara Louise' and ... wow just wow, vocals are, just wow.

Thats about as technical as i can be at this point in time.
@amirm - can we do a proper review on this unit.

I'll update, when I get my turntable operational.

Attachments

• 20230523_190822.jpg
    20230523_190822.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 310

NoCategories

The X4, along with the X2 and the TCC TC-750, are the three budget phono amps calling out for an Amir-style detailed review (with measurements).
+1 for a review with measurements of the TCC TC-750. It seems like a very common/popular budget phono amp, and it would help to have some of these budget options in the mix, as a baseline for considerations. I may be biased because I have one of these (the "LC" with the volume knob), but I'm also very curious.

dr0ss

+1 for a review with measurements of the TCC TC-750. It seems like a very common/popular budget phono amp, and it would help to have some of these budget options in the mix, as a baseline for considerations. I may be biased because I have one of these (the "LC" with the volume knob), but I'm also very curious.
After my post I bought a TC-750LC (the one with level control) for our vacation house. It works well, though I don't have the ability to do measurements. I should have sent it to Amir for review, since it is currently shut up in a cabinet not being used. Maybe this summer.

Top Bottom