• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio TB10D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 74 28.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 52.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.7%

• Total voters

kaopad999

There's a flip side to this. I hold Amir in very high esteem. I wouldnt be here if I didn't. I dont care about Audigon or Stereophile forums etc. because... LOL...

But you shouldnt take Amir's charts as gospel either.

WOuld I buy a PA5 or this thing on his recommendation? Well no.

But because I value his charts obviously and his useability and aesthetics comments I obviously take this into account very seriously. But I have bought stuff without his tests.

Also to me price comes into it. I'm ok with a $100 unit having heaps of flaws if I can live with it. I'm very not ok if it gets up to $350 etc. (you know what talking about)

To me there's a "spectrum or continuum of nonsense"... I would put Andrew Robinson in the middle somewhere... I do value what he has to say about functionality and 'fit for purpose' of a particular item... he's used it... I havent... I can see where our "values align"....

I have less good things to say about Darko or Jay or Thomas Stereo but even then I do like to see what they say about certain things.
But with Amir's measurements, there is no real need to buy crap performing gear regardless of the price
I'm sure that the majority of us that bought bad peforming gear in the past was due to the fact that these independent & objective measurements were not avalible to the majority ofus. we only really had acsess to a bunch of subjective "reviews"

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I sort of do get that too. To me if I can read the graphs and I understand them then yes, the equipment should perform as expected. This is my logical brain.

But there is a part of me that is too ingrained into esoteric, intangible terms like 'warmth' and 'sheen'...

eg. I used to have an NAD 3020... the classic. I have no doubt it will chart bad, very bad... but its still sounds good.

So I would love to beleive that you can buy a dac or amp based only on Amir's charts... I should believe that. But the lizard part of my brain says its not enough.

Our favorite piece of gear, the SMSL A300. I bought that based on what this place says... without any formal review. And we were right. It is amazing. But I accept that it may not measure "right" - I'm prepared for that eventuality.

kaopad999

I sort of do get that too. To me if I can read the graphs and I understand them then yes, the equipment should perform as expected. This is my logical brain.

But there is a part of me that is too ingrained into esoteric, intangible terms like 'warmth' and 'sheen'...

eg. I used to have an NAD 3020... the classic. I have no doubt it will chart bad, very bad... but its still sounds good.

So I would love to beleive that you can buy a dac or amp based only on Amir's charts... I should believe that. But the lizard part of my brain says its not enough.

Our favorite piece of gear, the SMSL A300. I bought that based on what this place says... without any formal review. And we were right. It is amazing. But I accept that it may not measure "right" - I'm prepared for that eventuality.
Fair points man.

amanieux

Device "reviewed" by Cheapaudioman some months ago and he absolutely trashed it. Complained about noise and unit sounding bad. Different strokes, I guess but I am still curious to hear comments from users that actually listened to it Here is a link FYI:
Cheapaudioman just made a new video about the newer version that was more positive ( same model number so how are we supposed to know which one we buy ?)

amanieux

I still have a pair of these well-reviewed Sony 3-way speakers which I bought on Amazon for little money when they were on special ($73.00). Spent more on shipping costs than on the speakers themselves and they sound utterly atrocious. Worthless. Waste of money.
When it is too good to be true, you have to be extra cautious ;) use common sense.

amanieux

I bought the Fosi Q4 DAC/AMP for my younger daughter as I had set up her older sister with a nice set up, so the Fosi was small, pretty good subjectively to be used with the JBL305p mkii's I gave her. Nice for her small apartment.

The Fosi came with a 5v USB power cable, USB midi and Optical cable all for less than AUD$70.00.

I replaced the 305's with Adam T5v's after Amir's review that I like very much but i am still in two minds as to whether they have the same wow factor as the JBL's. The 305's are really special, the Adam's are still very satisfying.

Still I am continually amazed as to what you can get for such few dollars.
I did a a/b comparison between t5v and 305 in a shop before buying the 305 because 8 of my 10 test songs sounded better on 305, but the two songs that sounded best on t5v were high frequency focused so if you love your trebble go for t5v if you want a more pleasant all rounder go for 305. My only complain is that both had audible hiss when listening closer than 1m away but again all sub $800 a pair studio monitor do hiss, the only exception I know is $400 a pair Kali lp6 v2, does someone know another affordable monitor that don't hiss ?

posvibes

I did a a/b comparison between t5v and 305 in a shop before buying the 305 because 8 of my 10 test songs sounded better on 305, but the two songs that sounded best on t5v were high frequency focused so if you love your trebble go for t5v if you want a more pleasant all rounder go for 305. My only complain is that both had audible hiss when listening closer than 1m away but again all sub $800 a pair studio monitor do hiss, the only exception I know is $400 a pair Kali lp6 v2, does someone know another affordable monitor that don't hiss ?
I have the T5V's and use another @Maiky76 PEQ setting in line with Amir's pulling of that 5K treble peak setting right down. I gave my 305's to my youngest daughter. I miss the 305's, one of the main reasons is that they are a lot more forgiving of off axis listening, the Adam's in that respect seem more beamy a listener's head movement left or right by any small degree changes the phantom image completely.

With the PEQ settings the t5v's are more restrained have less presence but are right, the 305's had something quite distinct about them and before launching into poetry about what that may be, I will say I just preferred them. I might even swap them with my daughter and get the 305's back which again i was using with PEQ's from @Maiky76. Side by side comparison is impossible and far too much bother and in the end I could be happy with either.

At the moment I am listening to a pair of older two way sealed book shelf speakers that have had the crossovers replaced with a 4th order setting and sound amazing and correct without any EQ at all, good directivity, don't go as deep but are very well balanced.

Those 305's though I coulda, shoulda stopped right there.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I figured out the noise problem with this amplifier: Its external power supply. The noise came back, so I took the 32 volt supply from my Aiyma A07 and tried that. The noise not only disappeared, but I swear the amp is even quieter then when the noise was gone. So I guess I'll be sending the amp back, unless Fosi is willing to just send me another supply. This amp is synergistic with the Jamo S803 speakers for two reasons: Amir's measurements show its bass power output is higher than most digital amps & this speaker loves that extra power and finally because it's "U" smiley faced resessed midrange is easily fixed by dropping the bass and treble controls down ever so slightly. The combination is magical. Talk about high value.
Please contact our after-sale service via this email [email protected], we can solve your problem completely

ftlbaby

Just received the Fosi Audio TB10D(new version) and Aiyima A07 from Amazon.

Apart from the tone controls, both the Fosi Audio TB10D and the Aiyima A07 seem similar.

To be fair, the tone controls circuit should be shorted before reviewing testing as having tone controls will reduce the SINAD, you can see in the testing pictures (A07/84, TB10D (with tone controls)/80, TB10D (shorted tone controls)/85). (The data measured by different instruments will be slightly different)

As shown in the circuit layout, the electronic components of the A07 are arranged on the left, while the right side of the board has a large blank area, and the TPA3255 chip has a relatively small heat sink, so the A07 is quite hot during operation, whereas the TB10D has a more reasonable circuit layout.

There is no great difference in listening between the two, except for the fact that there is a noticeable difference in power and more playability with the tone controls with the TB10D, and the Amazon price is the same ($79.99).

My preference is for the Fosi Audio TB10D (p.s., the new version).

View attachment 235540
View attachment 235541
View attachment 235542
View attachment 235543
Thanks for these tests Ryan! I purchased the Fosi but was considering exchanging it for the Aiyima until I saw your post. Please tell us how to short the tone controls. Personally I have no use for them as I use Audio Hijack to EQ my system audio before output. Thanks again!

ftlbaby

Thank you, and if you have any ideas of our products, you are welcome to let us know
Thank you Fosi for your participation! I purchased this amp and I am happy with it so far ; ) I also would like a tone defeat switch on this amp. On all amps actually. For these inexpensive amps I would prefer no tone controls at all. Or a Baxandall EQ if you insist on tone controls. Thanks again!

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you Fosi for your participation! I purchased this amp and I am happy with it so far ; ) I also would like a tone defeat switch on this amp. On all amps actually. For these inexpensive amps I would prefer no tone controls at all. Or a Baxandall EQ if you insist on tone controls. Thanks again!
Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider it carefully

olbobcat

The sound was good except that I could hear what I believe was the power supply switching on and off causing veil of noise.

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The sound was good except that I could hear what I believe was the power supply switching on and off causing veil of noise.
Thank you for your feedback, we will test that and if you can make a video about that can send to [email protected], will save us a lot of time.

Jacob8275

Thanks for these tests Ryan! I purchased the Fosi but was considering exchanging it for the Aiyima until I saw your post. Please tell us how to short the tone controls. Personally I have no use for them as I use Audio Hijack to EQ my system audio before output. Thanks again!
1667800943918.png

Point the knob of bass and treble control to the 12 o'clock direction so you can short the EQ output.

amanieux

Yes, Fosi Audio is committed to providing the best audio experience to our customers.

As a matter of fact, the video of cheapaudioman is the reason of this new version! We first found it and realised the noises effected audio experience, so we optimizing it and the noise has gone as well as many other improvements.

We listen to all voices so that we can make great products. That's why we send Fosi Audio TB10D to Amirm to test, as we want to find problems through Amirm's professional tests, and know what you guys think through more professional comments and replies, so as to optimize our products.

We believe that a great product will have good sales, and listen to the voices of our customers is an effective way to make a great product! So temporary problems will not stop us. We've always wanted to make a better amplifier.

Welcome to Fosi Audio to let us know if you have any ideas about amplifiers and other HIFI products.
great that you fixed it but why did you had to wait for cheapaudioman video to realize your amp had a problem are the low margin on such entry level gear making finer sound checking impossible from an economic point of view (other that basic QC control checking that sound is coming out)) ?

trungdtmc

Just received the Fosi Audio TB10D(new version) and Aiyima A07 from Amazon.

Apart from the tone controls, both the Fosi Audio TB10D and the Aiyima A07 seem similar.

To be fair, the tone controls circuit should be shorted before reviewing testing as having tone controls will reduce the SINAD, you can see in the testing pictures (A07/84, TB10D (with tone controls)/80, TB10D (shorted tone controls)/85). (The data measured by different instruments will be slightly different)

As shown in the circuit layout, the electronic components of the A07 are arranged on the left, while the right side of the board has a large blank area, and the TPA3255 chip has a relatively small heat sink, so the A07 is quite hot during operation, whereas the TB10D has a more reasonable circuit layout.

There is no great difference in listening between the two, except for the fact that there is a noticeable difference in power and more playability with the tone controls with the TB10D, and the Amazon price is the same ($79.99).

My preference is for the Fosi Audio TB10D (p.s., the new version).

View attachment 235540
Sorry but what are you remove the 8pins ic on a07 for? Is it an opamp?

Gratefuldad

Well, no idea about this amp as I'll never buy it but CAM has also trashed this DAC:

So AKM sucks?

So a bit later he loves this AKM DAC:

Not really that consistent.

He claims the first AKM DAC has problems in the treble but this is likely because he listens through these cheapo Sony speakers...which has elevated treble:
CheapAudioMan is sorta inconsistent. He does not describe the sound signature in most videos and makes more generic statements - I thought. When he runs out of cheap stuff (below $600 as stated by him), he reviews Yamaha! Fun to watch though and he does have a good spread.

Last edited:

amanieux

CheapAudioMan is sorta inconsistent. He does not describe the sound signature in most videos and makes more generic statements - I thought. When he runs out of cheap stuff (below $600 as stated by him), he reviews Yamaha! Fun to watch though and he does have a good spread.
i also think he has some problem with his hearing of trebble, he loved the kz crn which had an unbearable trebble all reviewers hated (me included and i am not a golden ear, just an average listener, i resold my crn, crinacle is not infallible )

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i also think he has some problem with his hearing of trebble, he loved the kz crn which had an unbearable trebble all reviewers hated (me included and i am not a golden ear, just an average listener, i resold my crn, crinacle is not infallible )
Did you read the controversy between crinacle and kz about that "collaboration"?

Top Bottom