• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio TB10D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 74 28.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 136 52.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.6%

• Total voters

Xduoo Audio

Dealer
This is an absolute minutia detail.

Shouldn't bass knob be on the left and trebbles on the right? According to what should be historically conventional
Interesting, I have not paid attention to the bass and treble knobs, usually the Volume knob is on the right. Hmm, I'll have a check the bass and treble knobs.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the SINAD mean? Why is it important that it even has a rank list?
SINAD stands for SIgnal to Noise And Distortion.

It is a measure of how low the noise and distortion of a device is compared to the signal. In other words, how accurately the device reproduces the music.

It is one measure among many, but it is useful as a headline, because a device that performs well here will probably perform well in most of the other measurements.

A Sinad of 100dB means the combined noise and distorition is 100dB lower than the signal. That is very low indeed. If the signal is (say) 2V out of an unbalanced connection, then the noise and distortion will be around 0.00002V (100,000 times lower)

MCH

Major Contributor
SINAD stands for SIgnal to Noise And Distortion.

It is a measure of how low the noise and distortion of a device is compared to the signal. In other words, how accurately the device reproduces the music.

It is one measure among many, but it is useful as a headline, because a device that performs well here will probably perform well in most of the other measurements.

A Sinad of 100dB means the combined noise and distorition is 100dB lower than the signal. That is very low indeed. If the signal is (say) 2V out of an unbalanced connection, then the noise and distortion will be around 0.00002V (100,000 times lower)
tbh i thought it was a joke

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By definition lying is NOT "indecency".
I fail to understand your aim? Are you correcting my language or are you happy for the manufacturer to lie?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have to admit, out anyone in the audio industry you are the last person I would have thought a comment like that would come from. Because It make it sound like an acceptable fatality, or maybe I misunderstand you you can perhaps elaborate. Getting more sales is the reason any manufacturers will lie in their specs, in any price bracket. But at the end of the day, disinformation is a plague, there is no good reason to lie and claim a product can do what it is incapable of doing. This disinformation spreads throughout buyers, buyers friends, not everybody has to understand the technical aspects but in this day and age of everybody can just say anything and present it as a fact, when a blatant lie like that is demonstrated, it really should be condemned, especially for the reason you mentioned, it becomes the norm if even science based forum consider this as just a business decision with not even a tap on the wrist, even a recommendation. A site like that should contribute in lies not becoming the norm. I think you agree, just felt this statement came trough with very much lightness, even if it's just an ascertainment.

If manufactures all met their specs and all the specs published were of high quality and comprehensive then this site would not need to exist.
They don't, very few product here actually match the specs 100%, that doesn't inherently make them worthless.
IMHO this a review site that publishes the only specs that mater at all and nearly all manufactures(with notable and commendable exceptions) specs are of zero interest to me.

This amp is worth the price being charged and by definition, price must be factored in with any review of a consumer product or the review has literally zero value. I do understand the quest for technical perfection may have a different ultimate value structure.
Any consumer who believes the spec still gets a very decent amp for low $ and it might meet the spec with one channel driven and the required maximum rated power supply which anyone can add themselves with a little care and effort.

The issue unfortunately for me is the guess-work with finding neutral on the amp when I want that.
to me that's endlessly infuriating... then again i'm not a fan of bass treble balance but not having a detent... i mean if it had a detent it proably would not be flat anyway

i'm in two minds about Fosi products... they're super cheap especially on their sale line but at best they are just a tad bit a little over mediocre at best?
Having bass and treble tone controls makes low volume listening much more pleasurable and also allows for a little quick content oriented adjustment. These things are cumbersome with my DSP which is really only good for fixed settings in my case.
Also there are def times where I want it flat as a pancake so having to guess would be unfortunate. I suppose I would have to adjust and mark neutral myself on the amp against a measurement with a known flat amp and accept that there may be a very slight non-neutral response.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is an absolute minutia detail.

Shouldn't bass knob be on the left and trebbles on the right? According to what should be historically conventional
Yeh it was confusing to me as well.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If manufactures all met their specs and all the specs published were of high quality and comprehensive then this site would not need to exist.
They don't, very few product here actually match the specs 100%, that doesn't inherently make them worthless.
IMHO this a review site that publishes the only specs that mater at all and nearly all manufactures(with notable and commendable exceptions) specs are of zero interest to me.

This amp is worth the price being charged and by definition, price must be factored in with any review of a consumer product or the review has literally zero value. I do understand the quest for technical perfection may have a different ultimate value structure.
Any consumer who believes the spec still gets a very decent amp for low $ and it might meet the spec with one channel driven and the required maximum rated power supply which anyone can add themselves with a little care and effort.
I don't disagree that this amp is worth it's price tag. We are not just talking 100% matching the spec, but comon, if you are in the market for a 300W/Ch amp, you are not in the market for a 60W/Ch amp, this is completely misleading. Now, your view that the only specs that matters are published here is a bit far fetch. Maybe you won't be purchasing anything that is not reviewed here but for most it's just an other review out of many. Bottom line, there are differences in testing conditions, instrumentations, etc, but if anybody can specify just whatever they want that's a sad day for the industry and if this community think it's normal and ok it's even sadder...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course if all you can afford is $70, then that is that and this amp and a few others fit the bill.
Thank you for the reply, but you could NOT be more WRONG!:mad:
If I had $70; I'd rather put half of it in a piggy bank, instead of spending it on some mediocre amp.
Gawd, could you imagine living with that thing, like w/a bad marriage.:eek:

What would I do with the remainder 50%: you maybe wondering:
I'd send that half for the care and feeding of the PinkPanthers!
Duh! Wutdidja think?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With these ultra-cheap items, I work on the principle that the specs are fiction, and I buy on the facilities available, then when the item arrives, I make my own measurements and decide whether the performance is good enough for the application. Often they are, sometimes they're not.
For example, I bought a Fosi V1 amplifier, advertised as a 2x50 watt amp. Of course, it's nothing of the sort, as also in this case it was supplied with a power supply that was rated at less than 100 watts. In any event it managed a clean 2x20W into 8 ohms, which for the application was fine.
Ditto many of Behringer's products have, shall we say, rather optimistic specs, but again, if adequate for the job required of them, will be acceptable.

S

nsfgp

@Xduoo Audio (FYI @amirm)
Are you the manufacturer of Xduoo product or related to it?? How come you do not have a Manufacturer Avatar badge here?? Please clarify ... it helps with how we perceive your posts here going forward. Thank You.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I don't disagree that this amp is worth it's price tag. We are not just talking 100% matching the spec, but comon, if you are in the market for a 300W/Ch amp, you are not in the market for a 60W/Ch amp, this is completely misleading. Now, your view that the only specs that matters are published here is a bit far fetch. Maybe you won't be purchasing anything that is not reviewed here but for most it's just an other review out of many. Bottom line, there are differences in testing conditions, instrumentations, etc, but if anybody can specify just whatever they want that's a sad day for the industry and if this community think it's normal and ok it's even sadder...
The amp has not been proven not to meet the stated specs.
Get the the 48v 10a supply or whatever the max is that the amp allows for and then we can test it. It obviously cant do more than 480 watts but that would allow 1channel to hit 300watts

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Challenge taken. Bought one just now on sale from Amazon's UK site, sold by FOSI Audio Factory. Final cost including shipping and taxes amounted to the grand total of $51.00. Will offer opinions after receipt.

Amazon UK specifically says "Old versions"- that might be the reason for discount!!!

1664443631369.png

Attachments

• 1664443149574.png
    1664443149574.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Michou

Amazon UK specifically says "Old versions"- that might be the reason for discount!!!

View attachment 233928
Thanks for pointing this out for me. I succeeded in cancelling my order at the eleventh hour and refund is expected soon, hopefully. I should have been more attentive. Again, thanks for the heads up.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp has not been proven not to meet the stated specs.
Get the the 48v 10a supply or whatever the max is that the amp allows for and then we can test it. It obviously cant do more than 480 watts but that would allow 1channel to hit 300watts
You sound like a lawyer defending a crook. This is the how the manufacturer describes his amplifier:

Fosi Audio TB10D 600 Watts TPA3255 Mini Power Amplifier HiFi Stereo Class D Amp Integrated Digital 2 Channel Audio Receiver for Home Passive Speakers with Treble and Bass Control​

• 【HIFI System】The high-efficient 2.0CH 300Wx2 desktop power amplifier can drive almost home large passive bookshelf speakers ensuring top-notch sound quality and is compatible with most sound equipment such as computers, DVDs, CD players, PC, laptops, TV, etc.

and here are the specifications on the user manual:

1664454341452.png

It is tested as sold. That is what specification means. It doesn't mean you can modify it with parts that they do not even sell to achieve different specs. Not to mention the fact that, it still cannot produce more than 240W per channel when fed with 48VDC which is the maximum allowed voltage.

Not to mention that it is sold as a 600W, 2-channel amplifier. Why would you test it at one channel?

The manufacturer is lying. There is no escape from that fact. You may be fine with it but there is no logic to defend them using numbers.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are we still clutching pearls over the wattage ratings (on this and every chip amp that comes up for review)? Amir explained it in two sentences and everyone already knew the explanation.
It is for the principal (which I think is valuable than any pearl) I am continuing to reply to people who seem not to care about it.

Anyway, if people are happy with a lying manufacturer because "they all do it" then I will stop here.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is for the principal (which I think is valuable than any pearl) I am continuing to reply to people who seem not to care about it.

Anyway, if people are happy with a lying manufacturer because "they all do it" then I will stop here.
I too hate manufacturers who deliberately lie about specs, but pragmatically, when they pretty much all do it, I accept that the specs mean nothing. The option one has as a consumer is not to buy that amp and pay 5-10x more for something honestly specified. As I said above, with these ultra-cheap items, I buy on their facilities, and measure the performance for myself. If they are adequate for the job I require of them, then they stay, otherwise they go back. I appreciate that not all consumers (in fact, probably very few) are in a position to make their own measurements, but I think we each have to decide for ourselves what matters, having a facility at an affordable price, or not being able to afford it at all. $50 for a very small and competent enough workshop or monitoring amplifier is fine, whereas $250 or $500 for a properly specified and much larger box may not be suitable or affordable, even buying used.

S.

Top Bottom