• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio TB10D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 74 28.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 136 52.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.6%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's 100€ here which is the same price as the SMSL DA 6 that measures a lot better, has a screen, EQ settings, a remote and looks better

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems the SNR is on track with the manufacturer specs;
However, 300W@4 ohm... not even remotely close.
Shipping a 32V 5A power supply while advertising 2x300W output is what is called ‘caught with pants down your ankles’. In more clear language; a blatant lie.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's 100€ here which is the same price as the SMSL DA 6 that measures a lot better, has a screen, EQ settings, a remote and looks better
The Fosi one has more power though, so I guess it depends on what your priorities are. Good to have options, in any case.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shipping a 32V 5A power supply while advertising 2x300W output is what is called ‘caught with pants down your ankles’. In more clear language; a blatant lie.
That has become a norm in this class. If they tell the truth while others don't, it will cost them sales.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure quality control can be an issue at this end of the price bracket, and can foresee a situation where a manufacturer sent item is of perfect performance while someone buying from Amazon may have received a dud.
So. I could get over 100 of those for the mentioned so called high amp.

Besides no one has real facts on failure rates so you are just speculating.

Ajax

Forum Donor
For those contemplating a second system where sound quality is important can I suggest the Topping P5A for $349 as an alternative to this amplifier. Even though it costs 5 times more it is still very very inexpensive when compared to "name" amplifiers and it's performance is SOTA. You can add a Topping DAC E30 II for $150 so your front end costs $500, just add speakers such as the excellent ELAC Debut Reference DBR-62 for another $500.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pa5-review-amplifier.28512/

IMO there is a sweet spot for those on a budget wishing for a SOTA system, one that measures extremely well and sounds great, and US$1,000 is it.

Midnight Audiophile

I tried out the Fosi TB10A and BT30D last year and I believe they both had a pop when when powering down from the power supply and leaving the switch on (the A07 does not pop). I'd be curious to know if this one pops.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to recommend the Fosi Audio TB10D amplifier.
Thank you for the review, @amirm.
But to what end is your recommendation?
During inflationary (or recessionary) times, it can be "recommended' to go w/cheaper or non name-branded items because food is a necessity.
I find using similar justification for your recommendation, for this otherwise mediocre (yet inexpensive) amp, odd.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This amp is only 5 x 3 x 1 inches. That's astounding for the power output it has and the price. :D
Add the PSU as that’s normally part of a power amplifier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you for the review, @amirm.
But to what end is your recommendation?
During inflationary (or recessionary) times, it can be "recommended' to go w/cheaper or non name-branded items because food is a necessity.
I find using similar justification for your recommendation, for this otherwise mediocre (yet inexpensive) amp, odd.
I gave context in the review: "If you need an amplifier for secondary use (bedroom, workshop, etc.), the TB10D is a very good candidate for no more money than one or two dinners!"

For primary use, I hope members save up to get much more performant gear that as a minimum is load independent, and has better SNR. Of course if all you can afford is $70, then that is that and this amp and a few others fit the bill.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I tried out the Fosi TB10A and BT30D last year and I believe they both had a pop when when powering down from the power supply and leaving the switch on (the A07 does not pop). I'd be curious to know if this one pops.
I will see if I can test and report back. Long time ago I had a pop test for headphone amps. I can resurrect if there is enough interest.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I will see if I can test and report back. Long time ago I had a pop test for headphone amps. I can resurrect if there is enough interest.

Switch on and switch off transient amplitude into the connected load- worst case volume setting. Just a scope (or AP) shot would be good enough.

Many of these tiny amplifiers do it and it's to be expected at the price. So did plenty of vintage BOTL integrated/receivers in the 1970s so it's nothing new. As you went up the range, you got delayed relay protection, etc. These things don't control their power supply and are virtually a bare bones implementation of the datasheet evaluation circuits.

CedarX

Forum Donor
Even if it is the norm as Amir said, is the PSU the limiting factor for these TPA3255-based amp? Would I get “moar powa” with a 48V (max. indicated on the rear) 350W PSU?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if it is the norm as Amir said, is the PSU the limiting factor for these TPA3255-based amp? Would I get “moar powa” with a 48V (max. indicated on the rear) 350W PSU?
From what I've seen, they generally quote the maximum power the chipamp is capable of on the datasheet.

I have no idea if the rest of the design will cope with the necessary voltage and current needed for the chip to deliver that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Device "reviewed" by Cheapaudioman some months ago and he absolutely trashed it.

My goodness, I just looked at his 'review'. Poor guy, he has absolutely no idea. :facepalm:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Add the PSU as that’s normally part of a power amplifier.

Soon, they'll build the whole amplifier into the SMPS supply and you'll just get a volume control in a matchbox on your desk...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Soon, they'll build the whole amplifier into the SMPS supply and you'll just get a volume control in a matchbox on your desk...
That's actually not a bad idea. :D I imagine many peeps would love to have that compactness and simplicity on their desktop.

Top Bottom