• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio HD-A1 Budget Amplifier Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I like "lightweight" amps. I am tired of hauling around heavy things.

Unless you are moving house or changing rooms every other week, what does it matter? Seriously, I'm trying understand what the problems are with heavy amplifiers. They sit on a shelf, table or the floor peacefully, and just work.

Coffee_fan

Unless you are moving house or changing rooms every other week, what does it matter? Seriously, I'm trying understand what the problems are with heavy amplifiers. They sit on a shelf, table or the floor peacefully, and just work.
Each person has their needs. I do not change houses often, but I like to switch one amplifier in, use that one for a while enjoy it and then switch to another amp. I have several of them the heaviest is about 35lbs (a receiver) and is just about too much for the shelf it sits on. I still have somewhere a SONY STR-DA7ES, which weighs 45lbs and that one I just don't want to move it.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I move so often... I have pair of speaker 100kg x 2 for stereo. I cannot unpack alone, I need help. Right now they are in the boxes. The Elac at 8kg each one are a dream. I have an amp at 40kg, a friend of mine is using it. I use light class D instead.
And no more vinyle nor cd. Just some HDD. For some people, weight is important, especially if you move to foreign countries.

uwotm8

Am I the only who finds the look of tested unit very poor especially in terms of fonts used? It's a total shame, a cheap fake crap:facepalm:

Coffee_fan

I move so often... I have pair of speaker 100kg x 2 for stereo. I cannot unpack alone, I need help. Right now they are in the boxes. The Elac at 8kg each one are a dream. I have an amp at 40kg, a friend of mine is using it. I use light class D instead.
And no more vinyle nor cd. Just some HDD. For some people, weight is important, especially if you move to foreign countries.
I am there with you. My pair of Tower speakers are in storage and they are about 30kg each.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Am I the only who finds the look of tested unit very poor especially in terms of fonts used? It's a total shame, a cheap fake crap:facepalm:
Yeh, I noted the font issue in the review.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Am I the only who finds the look of tested unit very poor especially in terms of fonts used?

It's a pity because the casework otherwise is quite nice. Basically, the front panel has ruined the entire look of the thing. These manufacturers need to study some of the Japanese brands for ergonomics and front panel lettering. It would cost them nothing and they could learn an awful lot.

An example that grates on me is the new Topping A-90. Superbly measuring, premium product with an absolutely awful front panel. Inconsistent labeling in the wrong places and that pentaconn connector offset. Just :facepalm: .They made a sub board riser for the volume pot to bring it into line, but left that 4.4mm on the PCB.

REK2575

I think it's the inconsistency of the fonts (product name vs. 'power' & 'Volume' -- also, "power" with lowercase and "Volume" with uppercase) that bugs me more than anything.

Still, I'd be happy to overlook that plus the mediocre performance if Fosi was retailing this in the $150 rather than $200 range.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
This has been said before. I'd really like to see some Vintage refurbished Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, etc amps tested. I have a old Fisher 122 reciver that probably wod test horribly but I still like its sound.

Attachments

• 20200504_211208.jpg
    20200504_211208.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126

IowAudio

Forum Donor
The Fosi HD-A1 seems to have good parts but this appearently didn't add up to a good amp. Would anyone know why it under performed and could I do some mods to improve it possibly?

m8o

Forum Donor
My reaction to this review... :eek::facepalm: the conclusion's closing words were being overly kind.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems very difficult to find a very small form factor stereo amplifier with correct performance.
I used 2 Pyle units at around $60 each.
The first one had discrete transistors and a powerful output.
It was doing the job but died after a few years.
The second one has a remote and display+front buttons but the sound is awful and weak.

Using the pandemic time to search a third candidate, my conclusion is that a budget between $500 or $1000 is needed.
Most of the good rating products (i.e. Rega Brio) are dedicated to audiophiles with large pockets.
For now I did not find any good choice <$500.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom