• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio DA2120A - Worth ?

PeterMac

How do you think about this little amp. Is it worth something ? much worse from Loxjie A30 / SMSL-SA300 ?
My friend ask me about it and he plan to buy it. It's half the price Loxjie A30.

Thank you.

OP
PeterMac

PeterMac

No one know :(

My girlfriend has one, got it because remote control and all the nice inputs + subwoofer output. It powered here Magnepan MMG-W before we moved in together. At the time, I thought the mediocre-but-fun sound was a result of the speakers and/or location.

Now that we live together, I’ve had a chance to use it in other systems, and it sounds noticeably bad, I do not recommend it at all if you care about fidelity. It’s the worst-sounding amp at the house. Even though it has far less power, I’m using the Dayton DTA-1 for the bedroom instead of the Fosi because it sounds so much more clear.

sorry… I wanted to like it.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The Aiyima A07 amp continues to impress me - pretty powerful, does have a jack out to go to a subwoofer amp if needed...about $80 on Amazon in the US. Or, even cheaper, the A04. Both of these I feel superior to the Fosi. The A04 has TI's 3251 chip, the A07 has TI's 3255.

Last edited:

JWAmerica

Not much info available online about this unit. The sub line level output is 20hz-300hz, so you need an active sub with a low pass filter. Also only hits 50Wx2 into 4ohm speakers. Many complaints about inadequate power into 8ohm loads.

JWAmerica

For the same or less you could get a much more powerful TDA7498E amp, albeit with potentially worse SINAD as it is an older chip. This DA2120A is a mystery. You'd be rolling the dice.

OP
PeterMac

PeterMac

Thank you all.

Wan

I purchased this Amp for my daughter for Christmas with a pair of Polk T15 bookshelf 8ohm speakers, and an Audio Technica turntable. It is all sitting on a 5ft wide dresser and we did not want to stack the turntable on top of a full size receiver. We have the turntable sitting at the center of the dresser with a speaker on each end of the dresser and the amp to the left side of the turntable.

The unit feels Fosi Audio unit is pretty robust and feels well made. The remote is nothing special but have to admit works and is simple to use. My only complaint would be that the speaker connections on the back are closely spaced. I had to be careful with stripping the wires, winding them tight and making sure nothing was touching in the back. If I was using banana clips this may not have been an issue. If you want to run a turntable you will need a RCA cable to Aux cable and turntable with a built in pre-amp. We are getting great sound out of the turntable using this set up.

My daughter was connected to the blue tooth on the unit using her IPhone within 30 seconds of firing everything up and I was impressed with the sound. It is a roughly 15X13 bedroom and easily fills the room with sound. The amp will push the speakers to volume that is too loud for the room with no problem. There were no signs of clipping or distortion at loud levels. Using the turntable with the Aux setting we are getting great sound out of the unit. . It was fun to play a song or album on the turntable and then listen to it again through blue tooth and hear the difference. I appreciate the ability to add a sub but in her room it is not really necessary.

Total cost of the set up was under $500 and could have been under that if I would have went with a cheaper turntable. Overall we are impressed with the sound and this Fosi Amp has a pretty nice set of features and has flat out worked at a very reasonable price.
https://fosiaudio.com/products/fosi...th-remote-control?_pos=2&_sid=3bff013e2&_ss=r

emc71

Hi,
I found this post after buying this Da-2120A and looking for more info about it.
I took it to drive my new DIY Dayton's RS100-4 in a small TL box enclosure! (maybe I'll post more details in the apposite section).
Not fully satisfied - mainly about the lack of power for my taste - have to use it most of the time at 80/100 level volume - bought also the most powerful and tested Fosi BT20A and to me it looks really superior so started to search about the differences.
This 2120A has an op amp NE5532 while the BT20A has 2xTPA3116 (TPA3116D2). Hope this is correct!
In terms of sound quality (streaming from Deezer) the Da-2120A seems that lack that "shine" and details that I found the BT20A has.
I will give a try with a new PS 24V 6A (144W) that I'm waiting to receive, actually using a 24V 4.5A (108W).
I'll post an update when I'll test it with the new PS!
I've read that the NE5532 it is often used as preamp? that's correct? Can it be this the problem?
Possibly more power will help also the sound quality?
Thank you!

EDIT PS: hope that with the new PSU sound will improve because it is a nice little amp with a lot of features for the price!

Last edited:

emc71

UPDATE: received the new PSU, it is written to be a 24v 6A but absolutely no difference from the 24V 4.5!!! No difference at all even in the volume, same low as the other. I'll return this DA-2120A and will take smthg else more tested!

john11

How do you think this fosi amp compares against the topping pa5 or pa3

Top Bottom