• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 180 59.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 29.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 48726

In a way your reply concerns me even more now...
Up to the company, but my suggestion to not appeal to this crowd stands. No one should need to replace any parts to achieve their "desired sound" and there should be no need to tweak a completed device after purchase. I hope you don't take this post the wrong way, as it is intended as constructive criticism.

JSmith
It's an option!
If you like it stock, fine. Don't do anything. If you like a specific opamp, you can change it.

Why this has to be turned into a problem and conspiracy for some is beyond me.

It's an option!
If you like it stock, fine. Don't do anything. If you like a specific opamp, you can change it.

Why this has to be turned into a problem and conspiracy for some is beyond me.
Agreed, it’s simple marketing. It allows them to be touted by all the YouTube guys that proclaim “AND it has upgradable op amps!!”, but that fact alone will offend others. My guess is that to their chosen market, it will generate more sales than not.

Extreme_Boky

Different OPAmps will sound slightly... different. My favourite is AD8066... its very low input bias current is not really important here.... but it does require an adapter and it doesn't like Vcc/Vee higher than + and - 12V. But, it sounds wonderful. Ahhh that brings memories...

I like the fact the OPAmps can be rolled.... great fun. Don't change it!!

grogi.giant

Up to the company, but my suggestion to not appeal to this crowd stands. No one should need to replace any parts to achieve their "desired sound" and there should be no need to tweak a completed device after purchase. I hope you don't take this post the wrong way, as it is intended as constructive criticism.
Giving socketed op-amps opens another niche of the market, while doesn't do any harm. Having them socketed costs almost nothing, but turns one negative to positive (CAM will definately mention how this is important).

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The Aiyima A04 and A07 amps are also socketed, as are many of their newer amps. Seems like the way things are going. I swapped 5532's for 4562's, no difference to my ear, a $16 experiment.

Soulsounds

The Aiyima A04 and A07 amps are also socketed, as are many of their newer amps. Seems like the way things are going. I swapped 5532's for 4562's, no difference to my ear, a $16 experiment.
Many people tell that swap can get better punchy bass and clarity in the sojnd.. but I don't know.. I have the a07, but I I didn't replacement the Op-Amps yet.. but I would like..
The Audiophile sometimes is for diy and testigo to get the right sound for our ears.

In the bt20s pro test.. most of that opamps tested sound very different In term of clarity, bass, and soundstage and instrument separation, I would like to earn the test with 4562s opa1656 and opa2210 super betas Op-Amps..

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
99 or 69 [watts] makes a big difference.
if nobody said it already, no. It's only like 1.5 decibels, which is a barely noticeable volume step. To notice a really worthwhile difference you need more like 3X the power (!!!)($$$). Fortunately few people truly understand that hearing is logarithmic, so AVR makers can get you to spend more for 105W up from 95W, or Emotiva can sell you an outboard amp with, well, not much more power than the AVR has in the first place ;)o_O

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are entering the era of cheap amplifiers. Sometimes it’s very difficult to me to accept this kind of reality.
Waiting for the next era of cheap loudspeakers which is also small sized but big sound.
I'm waiting for the era of cheap surround decoding with noise levels as low as DACs. With built-in adjustable digital crossovers with time delay please. And whipped cream with a cherry on top.

OR the era where "subwoofer outs" all have corresponding built-in highpass filters...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A HIGH PASS FILTER OPTION
yes @Fosi Audio I agree-as a loudspeaker engineer "subwoofer outputs" without highpass make me gag, since few folks running a sub have such big speakers they don't need the highpass. Even first order, whatever. Aside from that this looks like great work (and looks nice, not juvenile like some Lepai or Pyle stuff for example). Thumbs up!

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The Fosi representative active here hinted that they might have some new design coming up with a vented case. I'll be interested to see how that develops. If paired with a board design that lets the caps be further away from the power chip and heat fins, plus quality caps and inductors, could be what a lot of us have been looking for...
Please take a glance at our next new model- the V3:cool: @sound67

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Please take a glance at our next new model- the V3:cool:

Funny how a recordplayer is used in the picture and even mentioned as a music source yet the amp does not have an MM/MC input. (the shown recordplayer does have built-in RIAA amp)

Was there a linear volpot in the previous versions ?

Last edited:

312elements

I’ve been really curious to see what company would do this first. This is very cool and one of the first new products I’ve been excited about in a long time.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Funny how a recordplayer is used in the picture and even mentioned as a music source yet the amp does not have an MM/MC input.

Yes, the need to serve the tt audiophiles was to big. At least in the marketing department. ;)

312elements

Funny how a recordplayer is used in the picture and even mentioned as a music source yet the amp does not have an MM/MC input.
A lot of turntables, especially in the budget class have built in phono preamp.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

@Fosi Audio

1681819763601.png

This is from Fosi product page, needs correction - inaccurate description/details.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A lot of turntables, especially in the budget class have built in phono preamp.
The shown turntable (AT-LP60X) has a pre-amp in it. People expecting to connect their old recordplayers will find it does not work.
A lot of cheapies these days indeed do have a pre-amp or even BT or USB out these days.

grogi.giant

That is a lot of PRE-INPUTs... You might consider updating that photo... :D

1681820874101.png

But apart from that - it looks class. I love it and you're definately going in the right direction with the styling and building principles (using case as heatsink, ventication etc)!

Top Bottom