• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 180 59.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 29.2%

• Total voters

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone able to hear a very faint flapping noise coming from the tweeter when their BT20A Pro is idling, when the volume knob is set between 12 o'clock to max?

Last edited:

Palladium

Yes, everything stock, with the 32V power supply. The flapping is only evident when I move my ear quite close to the tweeter (but it is there).

I have to put my ear an inch to the tweeter to even hear it, so its not really a problem.

I tried the 32V and 48V stock PSU, and swapped the NE5532Ps for OPA2134PAs, all of those made no difference to that flapping.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I have to put my ear an inch to the tweeter to even hear it, so its not really a problem.

I tried the 32V and 48V stock PSU, and swapped the NE5532Ps for OPA2134PAs, all of those made no difference to that flapping.
I had a similar problem with a different but similar class D amp - it turned out to be the plug and not being correctly grounded.

Palladium

Sound quality wise, I subjectively prefer this with tone defeat on than the LM4562 A07 on my Diamond 12.2s. Sounds richer and more full bodied.

Kimbrough Xu

Is this a good upgrade from the tb10d or a07? I don't care about bt
Seems fosi audio V3 is more suitable for you.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a good upgrade from the tb10d or a07? I don't care about bt
To be honest, i don't see it as an upgrade.
An upgrade would be a NC252MP module based amplifier, or maybe a class AB (Yamaha, Rotel, Nad, Denon and so on).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the differences with the bt20a potentiometer? In terms of sound, I mean
None, it's just a question of "feel" or ease of control. doesn't matter in terms of sound quality.

Maiu95

None, it's just a question of "feel" or ease of control. doesn't matter in terms of sound quality.
The only "problem" are the treble. I find them fatiguing with Elac Debut Reference listening rock... Even with the A07. Very clean but harsh

Talisman

Forum Donor
What are the differences with the bt20a potentiometer? In terms of sound, I mean
No difference in terms of sound. Simply the linear potentiometer of the tb10d brings the volume to very high levels very quickly, furthermore the minimum volume in which both channels play at the same volume is high enough, so as not to be able to listen to low volume background music.
The logarithmic potentiometer of the BT20a pro is logarithmic, the volume increase is initially much more gradual and allows listening at low volume without particular difficulties

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only "problem" are the treble. I find them fatiguing with Elac Debut Reference listening rock... Even with the A07. Very clean but harsh
Cheap class D amps tend to be unstable with certain loads, and that sometimes manifests itself in overly prominent highs. My A07 sounds fine with my ATC SCM19v2, but not so good with my Mission LX-.3 MKII.
If you get an opportunity, borrow a class AB amp from friends or buy one. You may find that they sound a lot better with your particular load.
A friend of mine in the US got a Yamaha R-S700 for $120 recently, he said his speakers sounded different to him now, more bass, more body, less harsh. It's a very solid amp, even at $200. If you are in Europe, 160€ to 220€ is realistic for the R-S700.
If you are interested in AB amps, we have a thread called "Inside Yamaha amps" where you can look inside them. Denon, Marantz, Rotel and other AB amp manufacturers look very much the same.

Eggs Ackley

IMG_20230523_181744359.jpg

I got one on Amazon for around ten dollars. It seems fine.

Top Bottom