• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forza Horizon 5 Mini-ish Review

Did you enjoy FH5?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This is my Mini-ish review of Forza Horizon 5, that recently came out. I have played this on PC. If my sentences sound funny in this review, its because of my disability.

The Graphics:
The game looks amazing but there is problems. I am pretty bad at explaining "pretty things". Notable improvements are lighting & Mud/dirt textures on vehicles. The game is not that optimized well but its still better than GTA 4. Environmental settings cause massive strutter (Also reported but other users), no matter the resolution. To fix that problem you turn it down to medium but now you got GTA SA trees. This game doesn't tell if you are over your VRAM or not unless its in the benchmark, the older Forza's did tell you directly.

Gameplay:
Honestly this feels like FH4 but with a new coat of paint, if that makes sense. Cars handles the same & don't feel different. The map is a lot more diverse but mainly its around the corners & edges, the middle is rocks & sand. Since there's more like festival sites like FH3, it feels a lot more lively then having one like FH4. Currently there is 534 cars, it sounds big but its not. Notable cars have been removed like for example, The Hudson Hornet, GMC Typhoon, Plymouth Fury, etc. There is new vehicles like the 2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Ford Bronco, 1970 GMC Jimmy, etc. I prefer FH4's car list than FH5's current car list. There is more engine swaps but of course people don't know the brands of these swaps. You have to go to the wiki to know the brand which is annoying still. The older forza's (FH1 and below), had brand name swaps but were tied to that brand of car. With the FH4, everybody swapped a V12 into there cars, well its happening in FH5 again (because small car go 250mph funny). Cars in the older forzas (FH1 and below again) felt like there treated better and felt like there meant to there. If you see a normal/average to odd car, its there because the dev's are poking fun at it and don't care about the history of it (EX: Peel P50). Forza hub is sadly not involved with FH5. FH4 and below, I got 250k per week because of my high level but now it feels wasted. Returning players only get the cover cars of they games they've played, that's it.

Sound:
The radio is okay, I turn it off most of the time, FH4 had better songs (IMHO). I remember people saying FH4's car sounds were horrible, they weren't far off but its not as bad as Gran Turismo 6's car sounds. The sounds have improved but it needs some work. Sometimes the exhaust makes it sound better and sometimes it sounds worse with it on. FM3 to FH1 had the best car sounds in the series by far and there much more accurate to the cars. 4 Bangers will always sound better in FM3 to FH1. 4 bangers & rotatory sound like they have fart cans strapped on, always. The ambience is greatly improved, I will point that out. Your player is not a mute anymore and has a voice. Dialogue ranges from ok to cringey.

Overall:
The game looks amazing. The map is huge and very diverse (at the corners & edges). Most car sounds have been improved. Gameplay feels about the same (Not a bad thing). Car list is fine (As of this review). Story is better than FH4 but the dialogue is mostly alright/ok. More engine swaps but unbranded.

7/10 from me.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few screenshots I took from FH5...

Capture_decran_587-1.png
Capture_decran_618-1.png

Capture d’écran (635).jpg

The game is not that optimized well
I beg to differ. After several hours, it never ran lower than 80-90fps (1440p, all settings to absolute max with RTX 3080 FE)

Last edited:
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I beg to differ. After several hours, it never ran lower than 80-90fps (1440p, all settings to absolute max with RTX 3080 FE)
I have a gtx 1070 ti and I was able to crank max settings at 1440p 60 on fh4. I'm thinking about cranking the settings up again in fh5 except for the "environmental" settings. Unfortunately the environmental settings cause massive strutter, cranked settings or not and PG needs to fix that. Here's other people talking about the strutters: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...mple-fix-for-micro-stuttering-in-FH5--PC.aspx

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
tried it yesterday and it left me jawdropped, it's simply bautyfull and it runs pretty decently, tho there's some other issues
haven't tested 1440p high refresh rate yet, only 4K which only occasionally fell down to 59fps, only had some texture streaming issues because i installed it a spinning drive
only thing i have to try now is a controller, freeview with the mouse is a bit buggy
and regarding motion blur, i'm one of those who can't stand it at all

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
This is my first Forza game, and I just hate the atmosphere. It is so over the top. You start right away with amazing cars, you are already a superstar, everybody loves you and you just get more great cars thrown at you. Like, where's the progression? In the past, you were happy when you finally unlocked that grail car you wanted so bad. Here nothing means anything. It doesn't motivate me in the slightest. I would be more interested to play it if I didn't have to listen to the meaningless drivel by the NPCs.

It looks amazing, but my feeling towards this is just meh.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This is my first Forza game, and I just hate the atmosphere. It is so over the top. You start right away with amazing cars, you are already a superstar, everybody loves you and you just get more great cars thrown at you. Like, where's the progression? In the past, you were happy when you finally unlocked that grail car you wanted so bad. Here nothing means anything. It doesn't motivate me in the slightest. I would be more interested to play it if I didn't have to listen to the meaningless drivel by the NPCs.

It looks amazing, but my feeling towards this is just meh.
That's why I liked Forza Motorsport 4 and Forza Horizon 1. You start at the bottom and you work your way to the top with those games. FM4 has a good leveling system, every level you get a car but higher the level, the faster the car. FH1 had a good rivals system, every time you got a better wristband, your next rival got a faster and better car that you could win. With the way older forza games, you couldn't just stuff a v12 into a any car and beat literally any race with it *coughs* FH5 *coughs*. Events in FM4 and FH1 actually forced you to use different cars brand on performance rating, country of origin, year, etc. With FH5, you can grab any Subaru (or other desired brand), stuff a V12 in it and win every race the game throughs at it, its just a matter of type of tires. I think FH5 is just too open of a game and I shouldn't get fast cars on day one. The new accolades system is suppose feel like your progressing but most of the rewards really suck, most of it is just clothes, phrases and horns. A few of them are cars but you get just buy them from the auction like I did with the el camino or even from the autoshow. I bought the highest version of FH5, so I can't wait for the others DLCs to come. When I look back, FH1 was probably the best in the Horizon of forza, a close second would be FH3. FH3 almost had the same magic as FH1.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I realized that blob of text above, nobody would want to read that and instead I'll make a easy comparison. It'll be a bit biased to be honest.

Forza Horizon 5 (PC):
The Good:
-V8 sounds are good but the others are meh.
-Amazing graphics.
-Up close to the gauges camera view (like the 0-60 videos on YouTube)
-Big open map and a long highway.
-Plenty of engine swaps for most cars
-A huge car list technically
-Autoshow & Garage stuff is combined (If your at your house or festival site)

The Middle:
-Auction House (Great if you missed a chance to earn a rare car from the weekly playlist but on the other hand you can buy progression reward cars, Which on that is also a good and bad thing)

The Bad:
-No true sense of progression (Your given high speed vehicles at the very start)
-Feels like this game was for kids not serious car lovers.
-Most engine swaps are just Corvette, Viper & Lambo swaps (Because Devs think little car go fast funny)
-Open races (Good on the surface but a bad idea, because it doesn't force you to try a new car and/or upgrade)
-Liveries can get you banned online (Yes that is true)
-The story that's there, is plenty bad.

Forza Horizon 1 (Xbox 360 Hardware)
The Good:
-All engines sound amazing and are accurate to there real life counterpart.
-True sense of progression (Your given a a slow car at the very start)
-Story rivals to beat (Part of the true sense of progression)
-More brand specific engine swaps [EX: The Honda NSX's V6 can swapped into the Honda S2000]
-Aged graphics but still look great
-Specific races (Bad on surface but great idea, because it forces you to try a new car and/or even upgrade)

The Bad:
-Decent size but non open map
-A lot less engine swaps
-Very small car list (Even with All DLC's installed)
-Autoshow & Garage Stuff is split up

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Bit of a news update for future FH5 players or people curious about the series.

1. There is still a lot of multiplayer bugs.

2. The dev's have a rule that if you obtain cars before they release, you get banned, simple to follow right? Wrong. Hackers/modders can spawn in unreleased vehicles and gift them to normal players. Which means if your gifted an unreleased car, your gonna get banned regardless if you don't cheat all. Now you have to avoid the "gift car" feature like a plague.

alucore.gif

3. If you bought Microsoft's new shiny box called the Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X, then congrats. You'll probably suffer from "infinite loading & saving".

4. People are still be banned for liveries.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the pictures above it looks better without the motion blur - which lacks realism on a still image. (Probably fine in motion though).

Having said that - totally unrealistic. Cars are way too clean ;)

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I feel pretty burnt out with this game. The landscape is meh, the music is terrible and most of the cars being added are super cars that appeal to children these days. When I was once a kid, I too dreamed of super cars. The Lexus LFA, Lamborghini Murcielago, etc. I still like those cars but the new super cars I just don't care about, you kind of grow out of it. Those old supers cars are a part of my generation and the new super cars feel like there the next generation.

In some ways I feel like a boomer. I remember when racing games were made for car lovers not for children and people that don't even like cars. The amount of articles praising this game like it's the best thing since sliced bread. You and I know there's actually better racing games out there like Forza Motorsport 4 & Gran Turismo 4. Forza Motorsport 8 is coming but I have bad feeling there just gonna focus on ultra race cars and f1 stuff.

This is what Forza all about these days:
3r3k4qingv981.jpg

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I booted up FH5 and quickly left. So basically what's happening is that Forza PG Dev's are being lazy and porting FH4 cars to FH5, making you grind for them. So with FH4, Grind cars were always grand comebacks (from way older forza's) like the Hudson Hornet & Shelby 1000 and they were worth it to grind.

Essentially instead of putting the cars at launch, there padding out the cars through grinding (I'm certain it's because of artificial player retention). There is the auction market, if you don't want to grind but those grind cars are worth $10 million to $20 million each.

b1ji6mk4u6c81.jpg

I really regret my $100 purchase. I should've saved it and see if GT7 and FM8 would be worth it. Maybe even the new Test Drive would beat it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I've been a strong Xbox fan since the beginning but I havent turned on my Xbox this year... Ihey just havent made any games worth my time.

I think Forza reached a nadir with Horizon 3... I mean the backdrop of Australia was just too good.

Horizon 4 had the UK Scotland etc. largely as a tax incentive (ie, the HMRC gave them a tax break for having a UK location) and it seemed like they were doing 'carbon copy' games... like Madden 21/22... like F1-20/21 etc.

And so I never bothered to buy Horizon 5... I might buy it once its on special but there's no "hook" to get me to play.

Long since moved over to Playstation and Gran Turismo but that has its own set of issues.

Top Bottom