• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum Software Upgrade!!!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As you all have noticed, the forum software has been upgraded. I meant to give notice that it would happen in the next few days but the service provider went ahead and upgraded it today! Sorry about that.

This is a brand new platform with some new features. Here is a brief list of its new features (both admin and user): https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-new-in-xenforo-2-0.133426/

For now, our home page of articles is down until I buy the upgraded plug-in for that. [Now done.]

The upgrade was prompted by the new EU rules by the way, called GDPR. See the features related to that here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-20a-xenforo-2-0-6a-released.147414/

So while I was at it, I thought it was better to just upgrade to the next generation version of the platform.

Please post issues and concerns you see.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Looks nice.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It reminds me of the look of Ubuntu from about 10 years ago.

It looks like I will need to re upload my avatar as it has got all vertically stretched..

Wombat

Master Contributor
It works fine. I did like seeing who was online above the new posts list as in the previous iteration of the forum.

The emojis are graphically a bit too'forceful'. IMO. o_O

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
News just in. Stay off the roads and no swimming near Canberra for you Wombat.

wombat.JPG

Veri

Master Contributor
For now, our home page of articles is down until I buy the upgraded plug-in for that.

Aww, now I can't check the ASR homepage with my morning coffee anymore.

Joking aside the upgrade looks clean, nice to see GDPR resolved & eagerly waiting for a home/portal :)

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the old version there was a button (more like a bullet) next to the thread names in the "New Posts" page. It took you to the first unread message. I know that the thread name itself does that too, but it also shows that annoying popup with preview if you hover too long.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Somehow your Xenforo upgrade has ruined my Google News page.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, home page will be coming back. I need to buy the new version and configure it to work. Glad to see people using it because I was wondering if it was valuable.
Yes, I belive the home page was very valuble and a great feature of the site. Please get it back when you can.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In the old version there was a button (more like a bullet) next to the thread names in the "New Posts" page. It took you to the first unread message. I know that the thread name itself does that too, but it also shows that annoying popup with preview if you hover too long.
Yes, seems like they removed this. In my quick search I couldn't find a way to restore it. I will keep looking.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Somehow your Xenforo upgrade has ruined my Google News page.
I had never used that on my desktop but just tried it and looks fine. Hard to imagine how there can be such an interaction between sites.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm kidding, for whatever reason Google has revamped their News page (again), so I have to blame something.

As for the ASR upgrade, I'll get used to it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It looks like I will need to re upload my avatar as it has got all vertically stretched..
I think it is just shrunk in both dimensions.

John is right, the avatars mostly look all wonky here. Proportions are out of wack
Ray is short and fat, I'm tall and skinny, weird?
Screenshot at 2018-05-18 12-32-22.png

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is interesting. Thanks for posting that. It looks OK to me in the forum view but changed in the picture you provided. So some of you are seeing it screwed up. What browser are you using?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom