• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum Software Upgrade!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My pc is connected to Wireless Broadband Internet. I use a 'pocketwifi' modem connected to the PC by a USB cable. Whilst the portable modem can be used as a WiFi 'hotspot', I use it hard-connected to the Laptop. I thought this was a radio-based internet system separate from ADSL and 3G/4G networks. Maybe it does use the mobile phone system and my computer is seen as a mobile(portabally connected) device - thus no extra information below the avatar.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/...nce-between-wireless-broadband-and-adsladsl2/

:(
No, that would not indicate it is a mobile device. The system goes by the browser informational string that says what it is. The network itself does not come into equation. There may still be issues with what your browser has cached from the older version, mixing it with new. Please report if it is still there next time you reboot (that doesn't clear the cache but does reset other things).

Sorry this is not working for you. I will keep looking for what it could be.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that would not indicate it is a mobile device. The system goes by the browser informational string that says what it is
I have heard of mobile networks adding/substituting things they think will help get mobile friendly pages served, but it was a lot more common when mobile data was a lot slower than these days. So it could be that, but I have no idea how likely it is.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No, that would not indicate it is a mobile device. The system goes by the browser informational string that says what it is. The network itself does not come into equation. There may still be issues with what your browser has cached from the older version, mixing it with new. Please report if it is still there next time you reboot (that doesn't clear the cache but does reset other things).

Sorry this is not working for you. I will keep looking for what it could be.

Several reboots done. No change.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Several reboots done. No change.
OK, go and ask your power company to reset the power to your building.

Next, call the water company and make sure there are no leaks from their feeders to your electrical wiring.

Then check on your neighbor. It is possible they are stealing your Internet connection and injecting problems in your network.

Wombat

Master Contributor
System Restore didn't fix it. I'll live without it. :confused: I'll be ditching the wireless internet connection soon. I'll wait and see what happens with the wired connection.

Valorum

Forum Donor
Actually, there are some odd issues where the screen/text entry box jumps around while trying to scroll typing out a longer post. I had much worse issues (the cursor would randomly move while typing, inserting your text into what you'd typed previously, very aggravating) on another forum's mobile site I used frequently years ago, so I have to assume it's perhaps inherent in the mobile landscape.

It still remains the best mobile forum interface I've used, lol

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyone noticed some strange behavior with spell checking?
In Windoz 10 > Firefox, sometimes after having typed a mis-spelled word and not correcting shortly, the red error indicator will disappear? Of turn on and off as more words are typed?
It just seams unstable.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do you mind downloading a different browser to just test this? You can try Chrome, etc.

I reset IE11 - no change.

Installed Firefox and the missing info. under the avatar is shown.

Checked IE11 - still not there.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
On my small portable device (android phone), it's the same for me; nothing under the username, no info. And that's 100% fine by me. It is a huge improvement compared to before. From a 5" screen, to a 10", to a 15" to a 26" to a 60" to a 65" screen ASR design is mucho mucho better than before.

From a 10" screen and up all the info is there. On my cell phone I don't need all the info; what is there is plenty. It's the same thing with all other Web sites and forums and blogs.

What we just gained here is big, big time beneficial. A nice presentation is 90% of the overall navigation, experience, invitation to outperform in life sharing. For me it surely is; it's an indication of a house in order. ...My way of saying from an advanced education.
#^@☮&☯️=⚡

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I reset IE11 - no change.

Installed Firefox and the missing info. under the avatar is shown.

Checked IE11 - still not there.
Thanks. That gives some clues. Just making sure, when you run IE11, you are using a large window/full screen. Yes?

Does the avatar show on the left side of posts or above?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Thanks. That gives some clues. Just making sure, when you run IE11, you are using a large window/full screen. Yes?

Does the avatar show on the left side of posts or above?

Yes, large window/full-screen. Avatar on left side of posts.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wombat I think this website is not handling IE11 user-agent strings correctly and interpreting it as a mobile version of browser. IE is deprecated anyway so you may want to move over to modern and up-to-date browsers like Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc. Over time websites will stop supporting IE.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Any IE11 users with this problem?

Top Bottom