• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum Offence, Maybe It's A Cultural/Social Perspective

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Maybe it is your perspective, not the other person's.
If there's one thing that has slowly dawned on me in forums, it is that 'ideas people' cannot communicate meaningfully with 'facts people' - they simply have a different concept of what is responsible for the functioning of the world. Even a supposedly homogeneous group like 'scientists' can contain both types, and communication with the opposite camp is difficult.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't overlook that incredible new American invention, Cosmik...

af.jpg

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apart from having no "gestures / facial expressions" in online conversations, an other important factor is: There is little or no stake in being impolite in the cyber world. Most people online don't know each other in the real world. There is little consequence and also no embarrassment that would happen in real-life interactions. Therefore, people can really show their nastiness or aggressiveness behind the pseudonyms. At worst, just change another login name. Then why bother to be nice and friendly?

It is not surprising that people who use real full names in their online persona are usually more responsible and friendly in the way they speak and present ideas on the internet.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Apart from having no "gestures / facial expressions" in online conversations, an other important factor is: There is little or no stake in being impolite in the cyber world. Most people online don't know each other in the real world. There is little consequence and also no embarrassment that would happen in real-life interactions. Therefore, people can really show their nastiness or aggressiveness behind the pseudonyms. At worst, just change another login name. Then why bother to be nice and friendly?

It is not surprising that people who use real full names in their online persona are usually more responsible and friendly in the way they speak and present ideas on the internet.
+1

I’m a big fan of our introduction page, ideally I’d like us all to have some kind of mutual recognition/ personal affiliation. Nothing serious lol just enough to make us all human to each other. I do try and nurture a environment of friendly banter , bit of rib tickling etc . I think this helps to keep a level of humanity.

But alas it’s beyond my power to change mankind, I know shocking news ..:D

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have always used my real name on the internet, as I feel it's the only proper way to behave. Publish and be damned. However, that hasn't stopped me being very short with those that I consider deserve it, just as I would in 'real life'. I don't suffer fools gladly, or hardly at all, and at my age I don't give a rat's arse who I upset if they justify it. Equally, I don't see any point in being rude or unpleasant for the sake of it, so generally, I'm not.

The problem comes when on-line, on audio forums, that there are just too many know-nothing idiots, who take the view that 'I heard it so it's true' and don't know and don't want to know. I used to get upset and try and call these people out, but these days, I just shrug my metaphorical shoulders and can't be bothered to reply. They are idiots, and idiots they will remain. I won't change that.

Whether I would be any different if I hid behind a pseudonym I can't say, as I never have. However, sometimes it's tempting!

S.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I liken online communication to driving a car in a big city. Other drivers' humanity is effaced by a large piece of metal, traffic conditions tend to create a zero-sum game, and expectations arising from road rules and conventions superimpose an easy rationale for outrage and hostility.

FWIW I'm very much appreciative of the general goodwill and humility of members of this forum. In fact I've stopped posting on other audio forums since finding this one :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
FWIW I'm very much appreciative of the general goodwill and humility of members of this forum. In fact I've stopped posting on other audio forums since finding this one :)

Goodwill and humility of the members? I believe you are forgetting the most important factor of this forum and that is The Moderator.
I mean, he's called Savage, his avatar looks savage.. No sane person would like mess with him. :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Goodwill and humility of the members? I believe you are forgetting the most important factor of this forum and that is The Moderator.
I mean, he's called Savage, his avatar looks savage.. No sane person would like mess with him. :D
..or recruit ‘him’ as moderator..,

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have always used my real name on the internet, as I feel it's the only proper way to behave. Publish and be damned.

You guys must be pretty damn secure in your careers to think that's a good option...

Top Bottom