• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum New Posts

Wombat

Master Contributor
Is it my imagination or have science-related New Posts, and others, somewhat declined in number recently? Maybe it is just a result of US climate seasons?
This runs counter to the increase of membership. o_O

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Our issues with forum performance and email definitely caused a slowdown in activity.

That said, it is entirely possible what you subjectively observe, is due to placebo effect. I suggest conducting a double blind test to see if you can read the posts while blindfolded. :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think there have more posts overall, something I imagine Amir could confirm (or deny), but certainly perceptually to me there are many more subjective posters. That can be good, in that we have an opportunity to teach and help them understand, but of course there are also those who just want to troll, and sometimes it is very difficult to go back very basic levels for those with no technical background.

I personally find the endless technical'ish debates equally hard to read, particularly when they seem to devolve into semantic debates. Of course, as an engineer, it could be argued that English is really a second language to me, so... But some of the debates get tough when proof is requested. The request is reasonable, but at times feels like being asked to prove 1+1=2 (or maybe a better analogy is Ohm's Law). And too often I simply don't have the source material at hand, or "know" it is in old journals to which I no longer have access, so too often I've given up and just written "IMO" when I really should provide some sort of reference. I feel bad about that and figure it's better to just keep my mouth shut.

In any event all of this plus significant recent Life and Work events have made me less likely to post lately, just don't have the energy for it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
A lot of threads here are really nothing more than indulgent conjecture but that’s always been the case, those who take part see themselves as being qualified to engage in that type of thing and many seem to enjoy it. A type of intellectual merry go round, Free thought that folks seem to enjoy and really I can’t see the harm in it as it is now plus it can encourage learning and uncover intresting topics.

We don’t have any of the totally unqualified and fruitless nonsense you find elsewhere , as always though we are defined by the contributions of members.

Individual Threads tend to set their own tone , with this in mind if one feels like @Wombat does then one should start some ‘science ‘ threads and discussions.

Really that’s the issue , as a collective and as individuals you are all responsible for the content here. You want more ‘science’ threads , start them.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
A lot of threads here are really nothing more than indulgent conjecture but that’s always been the case, those who take part see themselves as being qualified to engage in that type of thing and many seem to enjoy it. A type of intellectual merry go round, Free thought that folks seem to enjoy and really I can’t see the harm in it as it is now plus it can encourage learning and uncover intresting topics.

We don’t have any of the totally unqualified and fruitless nonsense you find elsewhere , as always though we are defined by the contributions of members.

Individual Threads tend to set their own tone , with this in mind if one feels like @Wombat does then one should start some ‘science ‘ threads and discussions.

Really that’s the issue , as a collective and as individuals you are all responsible for the content here. You want more ‘science’ threads , start them.

As I do.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If threads are purely technical and are relying on strict adherence to knowledge, demand fact based argument I will enforce that with more rigour than a thread that leans towards thought/ ‘logic ‘ side of things.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Really the real issue as I see it is wanting a totally (cognitive) dissonance free environment, one set of people , one set of strict rules , one collective ‘truth’ and all those who decent are excluded. This makes sure ones not left vanquished by argument alone with the dissatisfaction that comes from unresolved supremacy.

That’s a issue if you rely on being right and being seen to be right at all times..

The forums a highly nuanced social space and is presided over accordingly.

Top Bottom