• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum Downtime In the Next Couple of Days

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I need to move our DNS server from one provider to another. This is the thing that resolves the name of the forum so during the change, you may not be able to reach the site. I have not decided when to do it as I am looking for a low traffic time to do it. But must happen soon. So just a heads up that if all of a sudden you can't reach the site, that is what is going on. I will update this thread before I start the switchover.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to move our DNS server from one provider to another. This is the thing that resolves the name of the forum so during the change, you may not be able to reach the site. I have not decided when to do it as I am looking for a low traffic time to do it. But must happen soon. So just a heads up that if all of a sudden you can't reach the site, that is what is going on. I will update this thread before I start the switchover.
This is not a sneaky switch is it. ASR won't return as Audio Speaker Review will it?

Just kidding. I'll try and muddle thru if I have to miss my ASR fix for a short while.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have not decided when to do it as I am looking for a low traffic time to do it. But must happen soon.

Just do it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What RayDunzl said. With such a global membership you might as well do it at a convenient time for you and we'll deal with it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If we know the IP address do we need the DNS?

Pinging www.audiosciencereview.com [104.27.183.13] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 104.27.183.13: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 104.27.183.13: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=55
Reply from 104.27.183.13: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55

---

Maybe we do

Error 1003 Ray ID: 5618b4d37c34e940 • 2020-02-07 22:12:37 UTC
Direct IP access not allowed

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Should be able to use the IP address unless that changes for some reason. Still likely some downtime during the change-over. At work it can take from a few minutes to several hours for the DNS to catch up after we move a test system. And often enough, at least internally, the IP address changes when we switch ports.

Edit: Cloudflare probably blocks direct access... The trumpet site I help moderate went to that to reduce spamming but adds a few seconds when we log in and blocks direct access.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
GLHF

esm

Forum Donor
Putting on my devops hat: as long as both old and new DNS servers are properly authoritative for the domain for at least as long as the TTL (insert furious waving of hands here), there shouldn't be any downtime. If you're literally taking one down and standing the other up....yeah, that's downtime.

(Lots of detail elided because while I can see you're currently using Cloudfront for public DNS, I have no idea whether they're truly authoritative or slaving from a hidden master, if you're outright killing the cloudfront account, etc, etc, etc. Nobody likes a backseat driver, you probably know all this already, etc. Have fun. :cool:)

You probably know this, but maybe as general advice for future readers: lower the TTL as much as possible as early as possible before the move, then bump it back up (on the new host) afterward; if there's an outage window, it'll minimize downtime for well-behaved (*) clients.

(*) there are no well-behaved clients

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So just a heads up that if all of a sudden you can't reach the site, that is what is going on.
Pay the electric bill before they shut you off.
Then they charge an extra re-connection fee. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do it at 5:30 PM Pacific time on a weekday when the entire West Coast is tied up in traffic. :cool::p:D

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Most clients will have DNS caching so the effects should be minimal if any.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Thank you Amir

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That's why the hosts file is there, Ray.

Yes, probably borrowed from UNIX.

Well, I'll correct myself:

"Originally, a file named HOSTS.TXT was manually maintained and made available via file sharing by Stanford Research Institute for the ARPANET membership, containing the hostnames and address of hosts as contributed for inclusion by member organizations. The Domain Name System, first described in 1983 and implemented in 1984, automated the publication process and provided instantaneous and dynamic hostname resolution in the rapidly growing network."

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
You probably know this, but maybe as general advice for future readers: lower the TTL as much as possible as early as possible before the move, then bump it back up (on the new host) afterward; if there's an outage window, it'll minimize downtime for well-behaved (*) clients.
The opposite actually, if it's just DNS nameservers being migrated you want to bump the TTL to cover the estimated duration window (and to be safe, double it). Dropping the TTL is more for host/IP address changes.

Top Bottom