• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forest Fires, Air Quality, Weather Patterns, ...The World ...

Webninja

Forum Donor
Winds have been kind to me, AQI 70-120. I’m in LA, but near the coast. The sun is very orange though, feels doomsdayish.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Close to home ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/smoky-skies-bc-wildfire-smoke-us-1.5720316

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/difficulty-br...es-remain-in-effect-for-much-of-b-c-1.5100960

Tuesday was bad, Wednesday too...today feels the worst.
The burning forest smell, the air, I'm having difficulty breathing.
The vision is atrocious, the colors are gone, my eyes hurt, it's very dry here too, the grass is light brown...not a single particle of green. Water is scarce, and cars are running hot underneath the engine...caution. Any spark, any distraction with hot items, fireworks, matches, cigars ... and no cigar ... the neighborhood could be gone in an instant.
By the time the first fire truck responds to the call and connects his hose, it would be too late.
_____

Wes, yes I've read the article very early this morning ...
https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...-hothouse-state-not-seen-in-50-million-years/

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
Fire seasons are becoming longer and more intense, making the sharing of firefighting resources(manpower and equipment) between countries more difficult.

Australia has regularly hired firefighting aircraft and crews from the Northern hemisphere for our fire seasons. The seasons now overlap, reducing the availability of this resource. Same with groundfighter crews.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We have Canadian fire fighter crews who are in California helping, giving a good hand to Americans right now. One crew (60 people) are from Quebec (native land).
Also we had Canadian crews helping Australian fires this year and last year.

Canadians are always helping our brothers and sisters during hard times; that's who we are. Fires, snowstorms in American East, power blackouts, hurricanes, water surges, etc., Canadians help any place in the world people in need of urgent help.

Would you like to read what Trudeau said to the California's chief?
I'm proud to be Canadian, and I take the good above the bad.
We'll get through this, we'll rise above where the skies are clear.
We'll fight the fires, the viruses, we'll fight for a better land, a better world, we'll fight for all, for a fair balance. We'll work with scientists for cleaner air, for purer water, for a healthier planet and people. We'll never deviate from air quality, health, peace, prosperity, equality, justice, freedom and the good in the world. ...Never.

We'll restore the earth's climate to his normal state.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Hmm....I have seen the moon although orange and I have flown through this. Where did you read this?

It's a figure of speech, to emphasize slightly...humor mixed with a dose of reality.
...A French Canadian trait.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I dont drink (rarely), I don't smoke, I don't do anything to alter my heart, lungs, mind.
I see some stars right now, the moon is not awake yet.
The sky is not clear, there's a haze and it still smells burning.
With time we'll be ok, with time we'll get used to it, in time ...

jerryfreak

Here in Seattle, today, we currently have the 2nd worst air quality in the world.

#1 goes to our neighbors to the south in Portland.

SF is #3.

AQI of 700 NW of reno right now

its been over 300 for better part of a month

I dont do outside right now without a full respirator (half face 3M w/P100 filters)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have to wonder if some of the pictures being published aren't being enhanced a bit...

1599896552720.png

The "published" photo is at the bottom.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Since early this morning and til now the sky is light grey covered all across with not a sun in view...zero sun. The mountains have disappeared too. The smell of burned forests is omnipresent.

Last night I missed the moon...didn't see a thing. I did see some stars though.

Today is cooler, and signs of Fall are real with the leaves of the trees turning yellow, brown, and falling to the ground. Summer is @ its end, definitely. The light cooler wind is shifting slowly, not indicating its exact direction. There is a verisimilitude of eery quietude that is quite provocative in its insecurity of discomfort.
I am describing my surroundings, not the meteo on the TV news. I didn't look @ the news yet. It also feels like a lack of oxygen in the cloudy/gazy/hazy atmosphere below the sky high above. It's like a crust of tainted air above ground.

I can hear a dog barking on the horizon under a veil of high frequency pitch in my ears.

Today, Satruday September 12, @ 11:33 PM, Pacific Time on Vancouver Island South, near the capital and government buildings, on the ocean level.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We all have seen pictures of some of the most polluted provinces in China.
Well, it not only looks like it here but it also feels like it (breathing and smelling).

https://globalnews.ca/news/7331141/vancouver-air-quality/

I just looked @ the news now; I didn't have to because what I described before was dead on.

Top Bottom