• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those who worry about quality of software volume control

bennetng

Major Contributor
My mainboard has toslink output and my soundcard has toslink input, and they are capable of bit-perfect transfer (verified by null test). Therefore I can evaluate the quality of different audio APIs, playback software and volume control in digital domain.

The video has no sound. Audio recorded in the video can be downloaded below. Beware of loud volume.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17mejNuTKEvXsEqjlQQGpJlhoH9K6qaEq/view?usp=sharing

LF78

Very interesting, thanks. Do you have a Chromecast Audio? It would be also interesting to measure a digital chain like FLAC file on a NAS -> streaming with BubbleUPnP or similar app -> CCA digital out.

LF78

Yes I agree. I ordered a cheap external sound card with TOSLINK digital in/out, I will try to make some measurements.

IBJamon

Both videos do not seem to load anymore. Can you give us a summary? Is using Windows' built-in volume control 'safe for Hi-Fi' or not? I have a Koss ESP that has two separate volume knobs for each channel, which means it's simply more convenient to change volume digitally, but I'll suffer with it if the results are not as good.

Thanks!

IBJamon

I have no idea how those videos work. This is what I get when I try to play them (image of youtube click-through attached):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 11.33.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 11.33.42 AM.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 152

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Works for me on Chrome.

IBJamon

I tried Chrome on a PC and a Mac.

Can I have the URLs for them? Maybe something is funny on the embed?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Using Audacity, the visual effect of -60dB on a music waveform.

Signal is about 1/1000th after attenuation.

That's like turning the volume from rather loud to all but inaudible.

1556729075363.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

IBJamon

Thanks guys. My Chrome is behaving strangely; works in firefox. Whatever. Sorry to bring noise to the thread.

IBJamon

I watched the first video. Is this telling me that software volumes are safe to use?

Willem

Major Contributor
I did not manage to get the video, but yes, software volume control is fine. The only reason I have a hardware solution as well (an Emotiva Control Freak) is that it adds a safety margin against unexpected loud sound thjat might destroy my nice Hartbeth P3ESR desktop speakers. Plus I find it more convenient.

IBJamon

I notice that he uses foobar volume, not Windows system volume. I usually use system volume.

Will the results be drastically different? I use my headphones for more than just music.

OP
B

bennetng

Major Contributor
Top Bottom