• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those who dont have a block head: Pad for the Nads

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are sold out of China and ebay for a few bucks. There for the Dt-770, etc. but will fit the Nads. Different colors are available. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
phones.jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

These are sold out of China and ebay for a few bucks. There for the Dt-770, etc. but will fit the Nads. Different colors are available. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-Pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-Headphones/391493473269?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649View attachment 14879
My wife found out I bought more headphones, I had to really explain how much of a great deal they were and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I got the look. So I changed tactics, I said my headphones were like her shoe and purse collection. Dirty tactics, I know, but the look softened somewhat.

Wayne

Forum Donor
My wife found out I bought more headphones, I had to really explain how much of a great deal they were and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I got the look. So I changed tactics, I said my headphones were like her shoe and purse collection. Dirty tactics, I know, but the look softened somewhat.

Love it..... Probably not fair :), but I love it!

OP
Rod

Rod

These are sold out of China and ebay for a few bucks. There for the Dt-770, etc. but will fit the Nads. Different colors are available. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-Pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-Headphones/391493473269?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649View attachment 14879
After still not liking were I was with the headband pad, I cut a sponge to add padding to it. Used the same sponge to add some padding to my headphones stands.
20180828_102451[1].jpg
20180828_102617[1]-min.jpg
20180828_102334[1]-min.jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

After still not liking were I was with the headband pad, I cut a sponge to add padding to it. Used the same sponge to add some padding to my headphones stands.View attachment 15074View attachment 15075View attachment 15076
Well I adjusted it some more. I put more foam in the shape of a wedge towards the outside edges of the wool headphone pad to make it more of a curve shape like my head. I also sewed the top in between the snaps because the headphone band was showing because the wool pad was stretching out from the foam cushioning. Now it fits comfortably across the top of my head.

curved pad.jpg
sewed top.jpg

Now if I can figure out something for those ear cups without changing the sound. There kinda small.

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Like gonads?:oops:

OP
Rod

Rod

Thank you, thats quit a compliment coming from a Bear Hero.

OP
Rod

Rod

Well the post is about a sore head.

Last edited:

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Okay... moving right along...

Good to make the headband more comfortable (I am using a ZMF pilot pad in my case). But is there any solution for the earpads...? My jumbo ears don’t fit well (and my wife has small ones and even she complains). But the FR is so good that when I tried some brainwavz replacements it was horrid result. So they are so uncomfortable that I basically just use my NAD 50 as a reference pair to compare other headphones to, but never any serious listening sessions...

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

I have not tried any. Good to know about the brainwaves though. I read good and bad about changing the earpads depending on the person hearing them, but I know I dont want to change the sound signature.

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
I have not tried any. Good to know about the brainwaves though. I read good and bad about changing the earpads depending on the person hearing them, but I know I dont want to change the sound signature.
I am sure some people have good results, I just am not one of them... I have changed pads on my NAD 50, TH-X00, and M1060 and not really been pleased with the FR changes. Between comfort and sound I pick sound. Oh well, there is enough of a booming business in pads (which I continuously support through disappointing pad purchases) that pad swapping must be working for some folks!

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

I changed the pads to hybrids from brainwaves. It did change the sound, made it brighter so I eq'd it. I also notice that if I push in the ear cups it sounds better(better seal, closure to the drivers), so I hope they conform better to my head over time. If they just made them thinner, they would be great. I originally bought the pads for the Meze 99 classics, but I wouldn't suggest these pads for them. The soundstage sounded odd to me. But the Nad headphones, it was worth it for the comfort. For 125 USD I think I ended up with really good sounding and comfortable headphones after all
20180903_152749[1]-min.jpg
20180903_152845[1]-min.jpg
There hard to fit, but its manageable.

Last edited:

Guermantes

Good (or bad) to see that someone else is having problems with the fit of the HP50s. I have a small head (and obviously small brain) so these have never fit comfortably. I feel there isn't enough clamping force to get the optimum sound out of them and when I centre the earpieces over my ears there is a gap between the top of my head and the headband.

Added to this, the leather on the stock pads is disintegrating . . .

OP
Rod

Rod

My ears are to big.

OP
Rod

Rod

Good (or bad) to see that someone else is having problems with the fit of the HP50s. I have a small head (and obviously small brain) so these have never fit comfortably. I feel there isn't enough clamping force to get the optimum sound out of them and when I centre the earpieces over my ears there is a gap between the top of my head and the headband.

Added to this, the leather on the stock pads is disintegrating . . .
If you add the wool pad from china that I linked to above and the foam padding it wont be to long for your head and you can shape it to fit your skull. I just used some open cell foam sponges I had around the house. After adding the wool pad, I have the headphone arms all the way extended to fit. If my skull size was any bigger it wouldn't work.

Top Bottom