• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

sotiridaf

Because the things one does while alive simply do not "disappear" after they die.

What things that you have done will stay for ever? After you children die , the children of you children die and the children of the children of your children die , nobody will know about you. Except if you are Napoleontas or Gandi or Jesus or Caesar.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What things that you have done will stay for ever? After you children die , the children of you children die and the children of the children of your children die , nobody will know about you. Except if you are Napoleontas or Gandi or Jesus or Caesar.
The argument that the absence of an infinite legacy negates the impact of an individual life is non sequitur. We do actually stand on the shoulders of giants.

Reactions: CMB

sotiridaf

So tell me what things of you will not disappear after your death? Give me an example of the impact of your life after your death.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I had to google https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolo

OP is agnostic like me. I don't believe in "afterlife" or rebirth. When you are gone, you are gone with no feelings or regrets, no heaven or hell.

What a relief! Just concentrate on your everyday life, make it good for yourself, your family, friends, mankind and nature.

Carpe diem!

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So tell me what things of you will not disappear after your death? Give me an example of the impact of your life after your death.

I can sense where this is going so I’m just going to invite you to consider the proposition that human actions are capable of impacting in a material sense, including beyond the life time of an individual -and that in the scientific era the moral good or otherwise of an action should be judged in terms of its consequences:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism

If you can’t notice this without me providing examples from my personal life I can’t help you I’m afraid.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

To what end do we banter about the philosophy of Nihilism? Perhaps start another thread and see if you get any interest.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To what end do we banter about the philosophy of Nihilism? Perhaps start another thread and see if you get any interest.
Actually I got a lift from the post, mainly because it reminded me of this:

steve59

Major Contributor
There's the excitement of cheating death some of us personalities enjoy, but I think the bravery is rooted in taking tomorrow for granted. Once we can no longer take care of ourselves or loved ones I think the reality creeps in.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I agree with the previous post about "when your time is up"
The guy who helped me build the monster speakers in my avatar was manslaughtered by an idiot suddenly and without warning. In 1994 at the age of 44. He came from a family of big strong healthy people mostly. But he was here today and gone tomorrow. My best friend instantly and for 17 years until he was suddenly gone.

My second college roomate whom I met in junior high had panic attacks which I didn't know about until he went to a psychiatrist who told him he had anxiety neurosis and gave him a predecessor of xanax (valium) which he used for a long time. He married a clinical psychologist too.

I used to have some anxiety problems but after I started using prn Xanax (for me never during the day and never more than two days running, if I get spun up), it kept me from bringing a pistol to work.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
There's the excitement of cheating death some of us personalities enjoy, but I think the bravery is rooted in taking tomorrow for granted. Once we can no longer take care of ourselves or loved ones I think the reality creeps in.
Taking care of my dad toward the end of his life really brought it home to me. It shook me to the core when he died. Now, a few years later, I feel more accepting of my own mortality than before, having been forced to confront it at least partially. Another major shocker was my 25th high school reunion. I knew I had aged but somehow it was very upsetting to see all the youthful classmates I remembered so vividly now looking much older. It's as if somehow I was holding on to the notion that I was just doing something wrong, which meant there might be a way to do it right and stop this process of deterioration.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this might be a touchy subject, but in 6 weeks I will turn 49. Recently I just can't stop thinking about how little time I have left, even if I'll live to be 80.
[..]
Thirty years pass quickly. I remember 1990 as if it was yesterday. I wonder who do people who are older than me deal with the fact that life must stop at some point, which can happen very soon if you're over 60...
I'm late to this thread but it hasn't been said yet. The real downside is that the center point of your life is not at 50 but around 18 - means the time which passes between birth and 18th birthday is felt as having approximately the same perceived length as the time which passes between the 18th birthday and death. A horrible thought when you're 60 already. :(
I even stopped adding more music to my 50k+ tracks library, because I know that I don't have much time left to listen to all my music collection and enjoy it more than once.
[..]
How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?
The upside is (as I've written in my posting above) that the statistical chance to reach a high age increases with every day you wake up alive. So enjoy what's given to you and take chances when they occur - don't think "I can do this when I'm retired". There is a saying that one should plant an apple tree even knowing the world would collapse on the next day. So go ahead and continue to buy music you haven't heard before.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
I had a career in sales, and one of the things that helped me in it, is that I was born with the talent to remember people, after meeting them once. I have always been good with names, faces and internal dossiers on classmates and business and social contacts.

As we had our increasing number high school reunions, I could still almost allways recognize everyone from their photographs. At the 40th I could still recognize people, although it was actually a horrifying experience. At 50 years after graduation , it was almost too horrible to look at, and also I didn't recognize , but a very small fraction of everyone, because they all had experienced WAY too much harmonic distortion.:cool:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not waking up in the morning is possibly the most kind exit.

I very often don't wake up in the morning.

---

Once, I worked a double shift, in winter, and went immediately to sleep about midnight, with the alarm set for 5:30.

The alarm clock went off, and I felt rather unexpectedly refreshed.

Something seemed odd beyond that.

Turned on the TV. News.

Wondered why it wasn't getting a little bit light by 6am.

Looked out the window, saw the traffic going the "wrong way".

Finally figured out instead of sleeping 6 hours I'd slept 18, and it was evening and not morning.

Oh well. At least I wasn't dedd.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Death:

It didn't seem to bother me back when I was not here yet, so I'll presume I'll enter a similar state later.

I do hope I get to come back (someplace), maybe with some folks that can cruise the Galaxy.

---

Elvis has Just Left the Building...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh yeah, got vaxxed today, so maybe I won't die of the Covid.

First checked government, hospitals, pharmacies, grocery stores, primary physician, and all the other sites I could think of, no good.

Then, looking on Google Maps, found a vax center set up in a park 5 minutes from here at 11:45, with just a tiny "traffic" congestion, registered,, got a 1pm appointment, waited in a line of about 6 cars, waited when it was my turn because they only brought 5 doses at a time out from the deeeeep freeze, got shot, waited 15 minutes for a bad reaction, and was out at 1:30, with paperwork for the second appointment at the same place in three weeks.

For anyone interested, here's the Florida starting point that worked, maybe similar for other states - https://www.patientportalfl.com/s/?language=en_US

It was at Vance Vogel Park, no congestion on the road at the park entrance when I got there.

(map from 11:45 this morning) Other traffic around here is becoming quite obnoxious as they overbuild new houses and apartments.

There's a new Chick-Fil-A just south of the Texas Roadhouse that is always full of cars spilling out of the drive-thru to block the adjacent street and intersection. I's a good place to go and just lay on the horn till the idiots clear a path for you to get past it.

Whoever built that place must be making a small fortune of of it.

No, I haven't eaten there, and am highly unlikely ever to do so.

1615246750455.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom