• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think we should spell "stupid" as "thoopid"

In 1992, as I walked past a programmer staring at his code, trying to disentagle himself from some programming nightmare, on my way out the door, who was tasked with writing a TCP/IP stack for what would become a NeXT "mainframe" of 10? 20? of their pizza boxes, said:

"Life's tough.

It's even tougher when you're schtupid!"

At least, that's how I would spell what he pronounced.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?
Dude, I'm 72 and don't worry a bit.
I don't know what or if anythings on the other side, whatever comes, comes.
I lived one hell of a wild life, had a lot of women, and even more good times.
Three rules here, faster bikes, looser women, and more money. ;)
Roll a fat one and turn on some Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.

"And I am not frightened of dying
Any time will do, I don't mind
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime"

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m knocking 66 now, and I do think about death. I just hope I “wake up dead” and don’t have some lingering ailment take me out. Anyway, I accept it and live in the now. Do stuff. Travel as much as your can.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Not that close to 50 but it happens that I think about it. And every time I come to the same conclusions, it's quite pointless. Can't change the outcome.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a couple of near death experiences and found them to not be that scary. One of them the 911 operator and myself thought I was dying and so we said goodbye to each other before I passed out. It wasn't that scary. It was more of a situation of, "Here it is I'm going." When it happens it happens. Nothing can be done about it. We all meet the undertaker.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
you might want to try that though, it can be too damn cathartic, believe me

I'm no saint (thankfully). I vent a bit on other humans once in a while, but I keep the rest of the animals out of it (except the occasional flie or mosquito).

Last edited:

Peterinvan

I fear losing my hearing more than I fear death.

If I am conscious when I am finally letting go, I hope I have some nice headphones on :)

steve59

Major Contributor
At 62 I am starting to understand i'm mortal.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At 62 I am starting to understand i'm mortal.
62? Awesome, time to retire, collect Social Security and enjoy a life without demands
I'm 72 and been having a great time ever since then.

evam1

When I was 55 (6 years ago) I had a massive heart attack. 6 way bypass followed. Then I had a defib/pacemaker implanted but that led to a blood clot being dislodged and going into my lower leg that hit 5 minutes after I was discharged from the hospital.. Emergency surgery to save my leg and life was next but while they were doing x rays they discovered I had/have 3 aneurysms in my abdomen including an aortic aneurysm that put me at high risk for a rupture and possibly a very painful death where I'd bleed out internally. Experimental surgery followed and they say I'm good to go-for now. Btw, the 6way bypass went to shit and only 2 of the grafts remained functional after 1 year. I also had a 2nd heart attack and a collapsed lung the following year. My ejection fraction is between 10-15%.

I've spent a lot of the past 5-6 years very much preoccupied with dying. Statistically speaking, I should have died within 2 years of my 1st heart attack based on the amount of damage done to it (I didn't receive treatment in time, 4 hrs or less, to stop the death of a significant amount of heart tissue) I've often felt frustrated because "things" weren't moving fast enough - and I fear/ed that I was going to run out of time. I still feel that way from time to time.

Τα πράγματα έχουν γίνει καλύτερα. Όπως κάποιος που αναφέρθηκε προηγουμένως, σε ένα ορισμένο σημείο φυσικά (ή/και από επιλογή και προσπάθεια) αρχίζετε να είστε πιο παρόντες στην καθημερινότητά σας και παίρνετε τις μέρες σας όπως έρχονται, ζώντας εδώ και τώρα και ακόμη και ευγνωμοσύνη που Είμαι ακόμα εδώ και εξακολουθώ να έχω επιλογές και ευκαιρίες να ζήσω ΤΩΡΑ. Κάποτε πίστευα σε κάποιο είδος μετά θάνατον ζωής. Μου λείπει αυτή η άνεση, αλλά η συνειδητοποίηση ότι αυτή τη φορά που έχουμε εδώ στη γη μπορεί να είναι η μόνη μας ευκαιρία για τη ζωή.....ότι αυτό μπορεί να είναι ΟΛΟ που υπάρχει, με έκανε να είμαι πιο στοργικός με τους κοντινούς μου και ακόμα πιο ευγενικός αυτοί που νομίζω ότι είναι χαζοί και ηλίθιοι.

Μια μέρα τη φορά, το ένα πόδι μπροστά από το άλλο.
Yesterday morning, at a nice cafe, almost next to the sea, came an almost very fat man, old, but also very cheerful, and what did he said (impressed by the nice environment of the trees, the sun and the sea)? "But why should I die, so that I can go to heaven, since heaven is here?". What did he mean? "Live it today HERE where Life is"!
From 72 years Greek with an optimistic outlook- I hope...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
62? Awesome, time to retire, collect Social Security and enjoy a life without demands
The demands didn't go away. California alimony is forever. :D

And honestly, if I weren't working constantly, I'd probably dry up and die. The super smart kids around me at work keep me mentally agile.

steve59

Major Contributor
The carpenters pension allowed me to retire with some financial security, and my stepdad being brilliant with stock investments didn't hurt. I'm out.

Top Bottom