• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

DonR

Major Contributor
I am 58 and both my parents have passed away. My wife was a geriatric nurse for many years and my daughter works at a long-term care home. Death is thought about frequently but not in a morbid way, simply in a matter-of-fact way.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The carpenters pension allowed me to retire with some financial security, and my stepdad being brilliant with stock investments didn't hurt. I'm out.
65.5 , will retire in 1 year, to work at things I want to work at ( I have plenty of business lined up. I did not do any investments or 401K's, etc. Instead, I own (not me & the bank): 2 condo's (1 rented that is walking distance (10-15 minutes to Tumon Bay, Guam, the other for family use when we visit our [I married once, at the age of 48 and still am married] our son and other relatives & friends, & live in a house the we rent from a relative). Also we have two cars that are paid for.
All debt was paid about 5 years ago. So we will enter retirement debt free (having been so for a while), have money in the bank and income.
And will do just what we want to do.
Not rich but not poor either. Comfortable.

chorus

Consider yourself already dead. Once you embrace that you can feel lucky for every day you are still around.
Be kind to everyone. Judge not lest ye be judged. Fate will take you when your time comes.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm 66 next month and have been retired since Sept. 3 or 2021, so exactly one year. Highly recommended. The only downside is how the market and my IRA have performed. Other than that I have fished more in the past year that any time in decades, ski on uncrowded weekdays, golf quite a bit and have had many home remodel projects to undertake. Other than some social elements of work, I do not miss it at all.

I don't really think about death, but do realize that statistically I've got 17 years left. I have a 3 year old yellow lab, I looked at here the other day and thought that it is possible she could outlive me. Not statistically likely, but quite possible.

Rescue911

Every morning, waking up, I say: "Thank you, Lord, for giving me one more day of life!"
Every morning, when I wake up, I perceive this day as the last.
I am ready to die at any second, (Philosophy of Bushido) without regret and fear. But, in the event that death is instantaneous for me. I am very afraid of being a burden in the form of a "vegetable".
Every night, when I go to bed, I say: "Thank you, Lord, for letting me live one more day of my life!"

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider yourself already dead. Once you embrace that you can feel lucky for every day you are still around.
Be kind to everyone. Judge not lest ye be judged. Fate will take you when your time comes.
I've had a couple of near death experiences and so as far as I'm concerned everyday is a bonus. :D

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
80 y/o here. 1992, when I was 50 y/o, seems like a very long time ago to me. At 50, if you are healthy and not taken out by heart attack, stroke or cancer, you may have many years left. Take it one day at a time, but always have friends and definitely have a purpose in life. When my neuropathy forced me to stop woodturning and sell all of my tools and beautiful tropical hardwood stash, I didn't have anything left to give me purpose. But having a loving family - blood or chosen - can be a huge benefit. In my case a struggling but hard-working artist - Peruvian expat Richar Huisa - and his wife plus 4 and 8-year old daughters, had become my family here in Boquete, Panama as I helped them cement their permanent residency here in Panamá over the past several years.

Earlier this year, I got sick and at one point fell down after going to the bathroom and vomiting in the middle of the night. I was not injured, but I was so weak that it took me over two hours to get up and be able to use my walker to get back to my bed. My "family doctor" made a house call, found no diagnosis, determined that I was dehydrated, so she had a nurse visit me and administer a couple of bags of IV fluid to re-hydrate me. Total cost - $200.

At that time, and with a very slow recovery, I felt close to death, and even wrote a long "farewell" post here st ASR. I was ready to go, but fate decided that I could hang around for a bit longer, I did not fear death, but was ready to go peacefully if that was my fate. But I survived that crisis an regained some srength, but my peripheral neuropathy became a bit worse. However, over the past few months, my health seems to be fairly stable. My mobility is severely limited - I use a rollator (walker with big wheels) for anything more than one step - and if I cannot touch a wall, door frame, piece of furniture or the kitchen counter for support.

However, with the help of Richar and his wife, who were adamant that I should not go to an assisted living facility, I am still living in my little rental house here in Boquete, a mountain town in the westernmost province of Panamá. Richar shops for me and picks up my Amazon packages from the local office of the package forwarding company. He visits me 2-3 times per week and sometimes brings Micaela, his 8-year old daughter. On Wednesdays, the whole family plus a 60 y/o Panamanian friend stop by for a visit. They clean my house and I play with the children. And once or twice a month, I dress in Levis and a nice shirt instead of my usual scrubs, t-shirt and slippers, and a friend takes me to the bank, pharmacy, and we have lunch at a local restaurant. This coming Friday, I will attend a photo exhibit and documntary film at the local library presented by the Peruvian embassy. And of course, living for the past ten years in a lush, green tropical rainforest highlands region with temperatures that rarely exceed 80°F or drop below 60°F helps to make life pleasant.

For food, a Russian/Ukrainian couple who are friends and sell food at the local weekly market stop buy every other Tuesday with freshly prepared food - and lots of veggies in the dishes. Eric Pousson, another friend and food vendor who does pre-prepared frozen food [LINK] delivers every Monday for $3, or $2 if a neighbor also orders.

In addition to having good friends, having "purpose" in life rather than drifting from day-to-day can provide significant benefits. If I have bad days with low energy, I can just hang out and the next day is usually better with more energy and motivation.

A few months ago, I dredged up some old IT and WordPress website skills, and built a website with an online store for Richar [LINK]. And I have a category in the store for myself which I call "The Webmaster's Corner - Audio Art and More" [LINK]. Below is an example of one of the items I am offering...

Toucan - Tubes.jpg

So it's been 30 years since I turned 50, and I have had many good days, weeks, months and years since then. In some ways, life seems to pass quickly, and in other ways it cruises along slowly with many delights along the way. It sounds like you are having what is often referred to as a "mid-life crisis". People can die at any age, but even at age 80, I am only 1 year past the average life expectancy for my ethnic, health, and income group. Each day, month and year that I live from here on is a blessing. But I am ready to pass on if the end comes sooner rather than later.

Kevbaz

I’m 46 year old this year and I have back problems (2 slipped discs and now and ankle problem) it does worry me getting old as I struggle with mobility. And my hobbies are music, which I can do at home and wild camping. Which is getting harder to do physically. Nothing beats listening to Enya on good headphones up Kinder scout mountain watching the sun set :)
Feels like I’m just constantly working and not living, but I think at some point we have to draw the line and live for the moment and get on with life.
Kev

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
80 y/o here. 1992, when I was 50 y/o, seems like a very long time ago to me. At 50, if you are healthy and not taken out by heart attack, stroke or cancer, you may have many years left. Take it one day at a time, but always have friends and definitely have a purpose in life. When my neuropathy forced me to stop woodturning and sell all of my tools and beautiful tropical hardwood stash, I didn't have anything left to give me purpose. But having a loving family - blood or chosen - can be a huge benefit. In my case a struggling but hard-working artist - Peruvian expat Richar Huisa - and his wife plus 4 and 8-year old daughters, had become my family here in Boquete, Panama as I helped them cement their permanent residency here in Panamá over the past several years.

Earlier this year, I got sick and at one point fell down after going to the bathroom and vomiting in the middle of the night. I was not injured, but I was so weak that it took me over two hours to get up and be able to use my walker to get back to my bed. My "family doctor" made a house call, found no diagnosis, determined that I was dehydrated, so she had a nurse visit me and administer a couple of bags of IV fluid to re-hydrate me. Total cost - $200.

At that time, and with a very slow recovery, I felt close to death, and even wrote a long "farewell" post here st ASR. I was ready to go, but fate decided that I could hang around for a bit longer, I did not fear death, but was ready to go peacefully if that was my fate. But I survived that crisis an regained some srength, but my peripheral neuropathy became a bit worse. However, over the past few months, my health seems to be fairly stable. My mobility is severely limited - I use a rollator (walker with big wheels) for anything more than one step - and if I cannot touch a wall, door frame, piece of furniture or the kitchen counter for support.

However, with the help of Richar and his wife, who were adamant that I should not go to an assisted living facility, I am still living in my little rental house here in Boquete, a mountain town in the westernmost province of Panamá. Richar shops for me and picks up my Amazon packages from the local office of the package forwarding company. He visits me 2-3 times per week and sometimes brings Micaela, his 8-year old daughter. On Wednesdays, the whole family plus a 60 y/o Panamanian friend stop by for a visit. They clean my house and I play with the children. And once or twice a month, I dress in Levis and a nice shirt instead of my usual scrubs, t-shirt and slippers, and a friend takes me to the bank, pharmacy, and we have lunch at a local restaurant. This coming Friday, I will attend a photo exhibit and documntary film at the local library presented by the Peruvian embassy. And of course, living for the past ten years in a lush, green tropical rainforest highlands region with temperatures that rarely exceed 80°F or drop below 60°F helps to make life pleasant.

For food, a Russian/Ukrainian couple who are friends and sell food at the local weekly market stop buy every other Tuesday with freshly prepared food - and lots of veggies in the dishes. Eric Pousson, another friend and food vendor who does pre-prepared frozen food [LINK] delivers every Monday for $3, or $2 if a neighbor also orders.

In addition to having good friends, having "purpose" in life rather than drifting from day-to-day can provide significant benefits. If I have bad days with low energy, I can just hang out and the next day is usually better with more energy and motivation.

A few months ago, I dredged up some old IT and WordPress website skills, and built a website with an online store for Richar [LINK]. And I have a category in the store for myself which I call "The Webmaster's Corner - Audio Art and More" [LINK]. Below is an example of one of the items I am offering...

So it's been 30 years since I turned 50, and I have had many good days, weeks, months and years since then. In some ways, life seems to pass quickly, and in other ways it cruises along slowly with many delights along the way. It sounds like you are having what is often referred to as a "mid-life crisis". People can die at any age, but even at age 80, I am only 1 year past the average life expectancy for my ethnic, health, and income group. Each day, month and year that I live from here on is a blessing. But I am ready to pass on if the end comes sooner rather than later.
This is airbrushed? It's a fantastic rendition of some of the native wildlife. :D
Huisa-Vista-2-1024x710.webp

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I should state. We have had the six year old, for four days. As we returned her to Mom and Dad, we did feel at death's door! A damn good drink, bucked us up no end! :facepalm:
Hehehe. A buddy would get his 3 children for the weekends. Twin daughters and a son. About 5-6 years old at the time. I rigged up 2 computers for cooperative gameplay where the 6 year old boy and me would frag baddies together and watch each others' back while playing first person shooter games like Far Cry 1 and Half Life 1 and Half Life 2. He loveeeed playing that stuff. By the end of a day of kids playing and shouting and screaming in glee from all the activities I always had a 3 finger pour on the whiskey after they went to bed. I was as pumped up as the children where. It was a hoot. Very good times!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most important thing about going into retirement: Don't be in debt of any kind when you do that.
Excellent advice and important if you have assets, but not critical if you do not.

I did not own a house in the U.S., and lost my entire retirement - $250K in a Roth IRA - in the stock market while in my early 60s, shortly after retiring and starting to receive my SS pension at age 62. Then I went back to work to supplement my SS and pay down my credit card debt. At age 65, I lost the woman who had been my partner for nine years to cancer. A few years later, the economy and age caught up with me. So at age 70, after having both knees replaced, and with the advice of friends in the financial sector, I moved to Panama where I could afford a decent lifestyle, and walked away from $20k in credit card debt. Those friends pointed out that I had essentially paid off the principal, but was then getting screwed by ultra-high credit card interest rates. Fortunately, SS cannot be attached to pay such debts. One bank's collection followup bugged me for a while, but after a couple of years I never heard from them again. I now live on cash and a Visa debit card, and that works great for me. My SS pension is deposited directly to my Panamá bank, and I pay my rent and utilities via direct online bank-to-bank transfer.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent advice and important if you have assets, but not critical if you do not.

I did not own a house in the U.S., and lost my entire retirement - $250K in a Roth IRA - in the stock market while in my early 60s, shortly after retiring and starting to receive my SS pension at age 62. Then I went back to work to supplement my SS and pay down my credit card debt. At age 65, I lost the woman who had been my partner for nine years to cancer. A few years later, the economy and age caught up with me. So at age 70, after having both knees replaced, and with the advice of friends in the financial sector, I moved to Panama where I could afford a decent lifestyle, and walked away from $20k in credit card debt. Those friends pointed out that I had essentially paid off the principal, but was then getting screwed by ultra-high credit card interest rates. Fortunately, SS cannot be attached to pay such debts. One bank's collection followup bugged me for a while, but after a couple of years I never heard from them again. I now live on cash and a Visa debit card, and that works great for me. My SS pension is deposited directly to my Panamá bank, and I pay my rent and utilities via direct online bank-to-bank transfer.
I'm $2000 Canadian in credit card and overdraft debt and have no other debts. I keep saying I am going to get rid of a credit card but it never happens...lol. :D

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is airbrushed? It's a fantastic rendition of some of the native wildlife. :D
Partly, Doodski. It's a combination of regular artist paint brushes and air brush. Richar wanted to get into airbrushing a couple of years ago, and I bought him a super quiet Badger airbrushing compressor, and a good starter air brush kit. He has since added an excellent Iwata airbrush for detail work, but still does mostly painting in oil or acryic with traditional artist brushes. He gets a fair amount of commission work from the wealthier expats in the area.

I just bought him a high-quality 27" high-resolution, color accurate monitor with a calibration instrument so he can tweak the colors for maximum realistic vibrancy on the mugs and t-shirts we are selling on the website. He just tweaked colors of the below image of a Lesson's Motmot, a beautiful local bird.

Motmot snip.jpg

One aspect of growing older without fear of death is that helping younger people - whether your own offspring and their families, or friends that you have made - can bring much day-to-day joy.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Great to have you chiming in again. My mother, from Austria (I was concieved in Charleston, SC and born in Salzburg, Austria, is 88) and has no health issues that affect her day to day. She lives on James Island (a lot of it has been annexed by the City of Charleston, but her place not yet, thank God) recently drove to Hendersonville, NC, picked up a female friend from Germany and they drove to Mackinac Island Michigan for a week & drove back. She invested prudently, worked until she was 68 and has been enjoying life with her friends, both older (one lady 99 and still driving competently) and younger. I came back from Saipan 4 years ago because I had cousins telling me that there was something wrong with my mother, as she had stopped doing open ocean kayaking. Well, it turns out that she has deteriorated disks in her back. When I (her only child) came back from 18 years of being gone to islands in the Indian Ocean & Western Pacific, she said "What the hell are you doing here?" I said that various cousins so & so had sid you slowed down & stopped doing somethings. so I came to help. She said "Well, you can watch the dog while I go get Ursula and we go to Mackinac Island. When I get back we can figure out some other things that you can help me with. So far, it has been mostly not impeding her. I hope that I am the same at her age.
P.S. I have made 14 trips through the original Panama canal. I was only able to stop once and that was about 3 hours in Panama City. The country side that I could see looked wonderful.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought him a high-quality 27" high-resolution, color accurate monitor with a calibration instrument so he can tweak the colors for maximum realistic vibrancy on the mugs and t-shirts we are selling on the website. He just tweaked colors of the below image of a Lesson's Motmot, a beautiful local bird.
Those color accurate calibrated monitors are awesome. I have a new MSI $700 gaming monitor that is tested by Tom's Hardware as being the best color palate for the price range. It beams and shows off the colors in everyway. I would really miss it if I had to make due with a lesser monitor now. So I can appreciate a calibrated monitor and what it is for.
One aspect of growing older without fear of death is that helping younger people - whether your own offspring and their families, or friends thsat you have made - can bring much day-to-day joy.
I befriended a local old guy that lives in the same building as I and it was pleasing and satisfying helping him until I realized he's a alcoholic, abusive and has the mentality of a 13 year old most days. It was interesting listening to his stories of being a USA funded contractor techy for mercenaries, his travels to Asia, Africa and South America. But things are not as mentally healthy as they seemed so I cut the cord. He's toxic! I could use some younger peeps in my life and that would fill a niche. :D

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I identify as being dead upon falling asleep every night, therefore I have been there and done that so many times it doesn’t bother me anymore.

Top Bottom