• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For the moment, I'm the coolest kid on the block

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Guys from the high end magazines get their cool toys to play with. Guys from AudioXpress get this. I prefer this.

IMG_0432.jpg

syn08

Cool. I wouldn't swap you for my Rohde-Schwarz with B1 low distortion generator option. -130dB distortion @1KHz, -140dB noise floor, out of the box, anyday :) And has a LCD screen, no need for a computer and crap software :).

Now only If I could get the software option K1, to be able to automate speaker measurements... The R&S sales guy asked $5000 for that, nice business model :D.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The B series (the top unit) has -130dB at 1kHz, and a similarly low noise floor. With the APx1701 (middle), automating speaker measurements is simple.

Yeah, similar business model. But the value is delivered.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And has a LCD screen, no need for a computer and crap software :).
That's the worst part of it. Can't imagine giving up my 4K, 34 inch LCD for that little LCD stuck in front of the analyzer. This is year 2019, not 1989. :)

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sadly, the 555 B has to go back in a few weeks, it's a review loaner. But in the meantime, I'm finding things to do with it that perhaps weren't anticipated....

syn08

That's the worst part of it. Can't imagine giving up my 4K, 34 inch LCD for that little LCD stuck in front of the analyzer. This is year 2019, not 1989. :)

Sure, call me when you get sick of commuting from the bench with your DUT and the desk with your 34” monitor :) Been there, done that :D

mansr

Major Contributor
Sadly, the 555 B has to go back in a few weeks, it's a review loaner. But in the meantime, I'm finding things to do with it that perhaps weren't anticipated....
What is the most illegal thing you could do with it?

I once asked that question in a presentation about an SDR device. The generally agreed answer was "bash the president over the head."

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I see that you and I have the same decorator.

cjfrbw

Heh, Heh! A nerd wagging contest. Looks like great chick repellent.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But in the meantime, I'm finding things to do with it that perhaps weren't anticipated....
I understand it does very well if you put four wheels on it, sit on it, and roll down the hill.....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, I have an Oscope like the one up top on the right. A soldering gun like yours. A chair like yours. A bottle of alcohol like that. Some XLR cables. Some yes purple cables like that. A desk lamp like yours only in yellow. Okay, so you have a few more toys.

Another show off! :)

The neat thing is, I'm not jealous or envious these days. Though that is a neat lab area you have.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm waiting for restorer-john to say you mistakenly posted a shot of his back-up lab.

I nearly passed out when I saw that picture. And I thought I had a problem with HiFi gear... :)

All that gear and he's jammed in the corner with one little desk lamp.

Nikke

I fink it's funny how you have two cans of dust cleaner on the desk but the chair is still full of white powder..

Less funny is how the desk furthest way seems to be so bent by the weight that it has to be broken. I can't stop expecting it to crash down.

Nice garage shop corner, though.

Top Bottom