• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For the last time, cables DO matter!

Sokel

Master Contributor
As far as I'm concerned I can make music with no cables at all :p

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When does wire become cable? How many wires does a cable make? More than one apparently.

And what about a Toslink fibre optic cable? It's not a cable because there is only one fibre.
It's a connector. If it's up to spec it means it performs and is not a bottleneck. Especially with digital stuff.

Leiker535

When does wire become cable? How many wires does a cable make? More than one apparently.

And what about a Toslink fibre optic cable? It's not a cable because there is only one fibre.

I've often pondered ditching copper altogether and just bridging interconnects with high end purity solder for that reason: doing so would inherently connect all the system directly and rid ourselves of this infernal dilemma.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
still contend you would hear the difference if (for example) you tried to connect an RCA cable to a Speakon port. Do you seriously mean to tell me it would sound the same if you used a speakon cable instead
That is just idiotic.

TROLL ALERT

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've often pondered ditching copper altogether and just bridging interconnects with high end purity solder for that reason: doing so would inherently connect all the system directly and rid ourselves of this infernal dilemma.
But that's not necessary nor does it provide any benefits. Measure it you don't believe it, it's not hard.

Look inside a top SINAD scoring amp on this website and "admire" their magic internal interconnects. :-D (There aren't any, it's just 5c cable).

olbobcat

You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

DACs and amps typically need 2-4 cables to do their jobs, often more!

All these people saying cables don't matter need to face facts.

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.
That would be called defective. Most would agree that you should not buy or use defective equipment.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I would say it was the person trying to use it was defective.
"It's just this little chromium switch here. I don't know why you people are soooooo superstitious"

JSmith

Master Contributor
giphy.gif

DTfS.gif

JSmith

dartinbout

If only this truly were "The Last Time"... but it won't. Audio reproduction is frequently treated as if it was a child's dream. I'll bet the sound system in
"Neverland" was the absolute "bestyest" that Peter and Tinkerbell could wish for. Audiogon forums, Whatfi and the magazines all smell of J.M. Barrie.

Yuhasz01

You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

DACs and amps typically need 2-4 cables to do their jobs, often more!

All these people saying cables don't matter need to face facts.

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.
Nice try at lame sarcasm with your comments. No audio without oxygen to breath…

Top Bottom