• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For a stereo setup, to use with KH750 subs, which Neumann monitor is better, KH310 or KH150?

HQY

Hi all, I'm new here. I recently read a 48-page discusstion regarding KH150 review. Pretty impressive. Thanks to the reviewer and participants of the discussion. I am current using a pair of KH80s and a single KH750 and quite satisfied with the result. By seeing the discussion, I am considering to upgrade my setup. My space is 3.9mW 5.9mL and 3.3mH. Appreciate your advices.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The KH150 actually measures a bit better overall, the KH310 has a bit tighter vertical directivity due to the 3 way design.

However, the KH80 are already quite decent speakers for near-field use. If you haven't already, I would do extensive room treatment before upgrading the speakers themselves. Particularly for the low frequency region.

Reactions: HQY
OP
HQY

HQY

The KH150 actually measures a bit better overall, the KH310 has a bit tighter vertical directivity due to the 3 way design.

However, the KH80 are already quite decent speakers for near-field use. If you haven't already, I would do extensive room treatment before upgrading the speakers themselves. Particularly for the low frequency region.
Hi Alex, thanks for the valuable advice. This could be a good way to improve the sound.

dfuller

Major Contributor
So - my thinking is this.

The KH310 sans subs does not get very loud; they're a tiny box and they're not ported. With subs, the sky's the limit.
3.9mW 5.9mL and 3.3mH
I'll admit - I read this first as "3.9 miliwatts, 5.9 milliliters, 3.3 milihenries" and was very confused. :D

310's got a wider vertical, about 30 degrees, where the 150 is more like 20. The directivity behavior is also waaaaaay different between the two (both good, but extremely different).

index.php

index.php

alex-z

310's got a wider vertical, about 30 degrees, where the 150 is more like 20. The directivity behavior is also waaaaaay different between the two (both good, but extremely different).
Sorry for the confusing langauge, when I said tighter, I did not mean narrower. KH310 has the off-axis vertical response more closely following the on-axis response. The radiation pattern is actually wider, but more consistent.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../vertical-directivity-normalized-2-png.94752/ - KH310

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rtical-directivity-normalized-100-png.249046/ - KH150

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
HQY

HQY

The KH310 sans subs does not get very loud; they're a tiny box and they're not ported. With subs, the sky's the limit.

I'll admit - I read this first as "3.9 miliwatts, 5.9 milliliters, 3.3 milihenries" and was very confused. :D

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php
Sorry for confusing in describing the dimension of my space. :p

OP
HQY

HQY

Sorry for the confusing langauge, when I said tighter, I did not mean narrower. KH310 has the off-axis vertical response more closely following the on-axis response. The radiation pattern is actually wider, but more consistent.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../vertical-directivity-normalized-2-png.94752/ - KH310

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rtical-directivity-normalized-100-png.249046/ - KH150
Thank you for the comments and additional info regarding the two monitors.

OP
HQY

HQY

OP
HQY

HQY

What is your goal, what do you want to be better?
My goal is to improve the performace of playing big and complex orchestra music. I think the KH80 may reach its limit when play loud for such kind of music.

OP
HQY

HQY

OP
HQY

HQY

I just saw this on Youtube and it's quite impressive.

I used to audition KH310 with a pair of KH810 subs. Quite good.

By the way, I have MA1 which I think is a really good tool.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My goal is to improve the performace of playing big and complex orchestra music. I think the KH80 may reach its limit when play loud for such kind of music.
Indeed. For your situation, i don´t know if KH150 or 310 will be better. Since you're using the 750, the 310 can benefit from its phase linearization and room correction.

In my small room, I always had trouble setting up the 310 really well. I think if they broke tomorrow, I would buy the 150 as a replacement. For me, I would hope that they are a little easier to handle with their narrower and a bit more smooth dispersion. But: your room is significantly larger than mine and all the walls are further away. It's quite possible that the 310 can play to its strengths in your room.

I can't give you any more advice. I think both can work well, but it would be best in this case if you could try them at home.

OP
HQY

HQY

Indeed. For your situation, i don´t know if KH150 or 310 will be better. Since you're using the 750, the 310 can benefit from its phase linearization and room correction.

In my small room, I always had trouble setting up the 310 really well. I think if they broke tomorrow, I would buy the 150 as a replacement. For me, I would hope that they are a little easier to handle with their narrower and a bit more smooth dispersion. But: your room is significantly larger than mine and all the walls are further away. It's quite possible that the 310 can play to its strengths in your room.

I can't give you any more advice. I think both can work well, but it would be best in this case if you could try them at home.
Hi DJBonoBobo, thank you very much for sharing with me your experience with KH310. Your reply is helpful. I have some acoustice panels on the wall and they improve the acoustic situation somewhat. It's just a basic treatment. I am not a prefessional. Just love listening to music for fun. :)

Attachments

• audio 1.jpg
    audio 1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 134
  • audio 2.jpg
    audio 2.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 148

monkeyboy

The spectral decay of the 310 influenced my choice to purchase it, I have not seen the decay of the 150

neumann_kh310_cum_spectral_decay_510.gif

OP
HQY

HQY

The spectral decay of the 310 influenced my choice to purchase it, I have not seen the decay of the 150
This is also something to consider. Thanks for sharing the thought.

Sokel

Master Contributor
According to Genelec chart,the volume of your room,the listening distance and to achieve decent levels for peaks you probably have to go for the equivalent of 8341A.

alex-z

neumann_kh310_cum_spectral_decay_510.gif
While time domain performance is important, any speaker looks good when using a 100ms window length. Reducing that to 20 or even 10ms is a more accurate way to judge individual speakers. Even then, I rarely base purchasing decisions off a waterfall plot, because the room itself has significantly more influence in that domain.

Top Bottom