• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Food/snacks/candy that would literally be the death of you...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Nuts in any and every variety.
I have always been nuts about nuts, seeds, etc... heck, even popcorn!
Then, someone told me that all nuts and seeds contained residual amounts of arsenic :)oops:) and arsenic in our system just additive-ly accumulates :)eek:)
I just don't want to hear it because it is like saying "living will kill you!"
By all measures, I may get run-over by a semi tomorrow (hopefully w/pistachios in my mouth)!
EDIT:
After posting the above I realized coffee beans are really seed-like and I consume quad espresso shots daily.
I should not have asked my search-engine "does coffee contain arsenic":
First click was "What chemicals are in your coffee?"
I should not have read it. You may reconsider, as well!

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Then, someone told me that all nuts and seeds contained residual amounts of arsenic :)oops:) and arsenic in our system just additive-ly accumulates :)eek:)
By all measures, I may get run-over by a semi tomorrow (hopefully w/pistachios in my mouth)!
EDIT:
After posting the above I realized coffee beans are really seed-like and I consume quad espresso shots daily.
I haven't seen any indication that arsenic in coffee is a danger... whereas there are other foods one may want to avoid, coffee has not been mentioned among them. *fingers crossed

OP
Killingbeans

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Well... it's true. Everything is poison to some degree or another. It's a balance act if you want to live a life that's both enjoyable and reasonably long.

If something gives you great joy but doesn't make you sick or kill you too fast, then there's little reason to shunt it. You'll just live a long life with no joy, and what's the point of that? :D

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been on a Rold Gold pretzel sticks kick lately. A one pound bag a day has become the routine lately. I think I'm going to have to stop buying them for a while. I also get in trouble with good artisan bread. The whole loaf is gone in an hour. And that's not even putting anything on it!
rold-gold-sticks.jpg

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT:
Nah. It is just scare mongering. It is not whether they detected arsenic that matters, it is how much. Modern instruments can detect less than 1/1000 of the permitted level of arsenic in drinking water.

OP
Killingbeans

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yes, a few hundred years ago green wallpaper had enough arsenic in it to actually kill you when it disintegrated over time and got in your lungs.

A moderate intake of nuts and seeds? Not so much.

Nothing beats industrial chemistry of yore. Tetraethyllead anyone? :D

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A moderate intake of nuts and seeds? Not so much.

Unless they are the wrong kind of almonds...

"Eating just 50 bitter almonds can release enough hydrogen cyanide to kill an adult in under 3 minutes. Fortunately, the sweet variety that we scoop from bins at grocery stores is safe to eat, thanks to a mutation."

OP
Killingbeans

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I sometimes encounter a bitter almond or two in a bag of organic sweet almonds. It only takes one bite to realize it.

I wouldn't dream of chewing them, and you couldn't force me to eat 50, unless you had some serious leverage. They taste extremely bad.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And for someone who doesn't eat a lot of meat, I gotta admit I've had a raging dan dan noodle fixation lately, and there are two nearby places where I can get my fix:
_A170900.jpg
_R001302.jpg

Roland68

Major Contributor
Do you want to ruin yourself quickly? The cute way?
Take that!

IMG_9969.jpg

- The filling is pure hazelnut nougat
- The dough is a shortcrust pastry with an extremely high percentage of butter (if you put it on paper, it greases immediately)
- The glaze consists of a mixture of nougat and whole milk couverture (more cocoa butter)
- 14cm long, 4.5cm wide, 4cm high
- 250 grams heavy

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you want to ruin yourself quickly? The cute way?
Take that!

View attachment 240565

- The filling is pure hazelnut nougat
- The dough is a shortcrust pastry with an extremely high percentage of butter (if you put it on paper, it greases immediately)
- The glaze consists of a mixture of nougat and whole milk couverture (more cocoa butter)
- 14cm long, 4.5cm wide, 4cm high
- 250 grams heavy
What is this pastry called?
Can you send me some as sample for testing?;)

Roland68

Major Contributor
What is this pastry called?
Can you send me some as sample for testing?;)
It's called nougat slices and has been made by a small pastry shop in my hometown for over 40 years (or much longer).
I don't think it would make it through customs. They would certainly find a reason to have to "destroy" it ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's called nougat slices and has been made by a small pastry shop in my hometown for over 40 years (or much longer).
I don't think it would make it through customs. They would certainly find a reason to have to "destroy" it ;)
Yes, it would be to good for anyone else to have. So they must make sure that it goes no further than their mouths.

Top Bottom